Gold Rush

canyonman

Nov 2, 2010
CA Gold Country
Double post, also in Ca pictures. Thought it might be more appropriate here. Link is to a five minute power point that I put together as part of research that I'm helping with for a book on the history of the local area where I live. Some of the photos were taken within yards of where my home is located. Sorry I'm not able to embed in the forum.

http://www.slideshare.net/FredWebb/scenes-from-the-gold-rush

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

Really enjoyed your post. I noticed you have two pictures in there from the Black Hills gold rush. The pictures have a man named Lamb and his partners who mined in Rockerville Gulch in the Black Hills. The pictures were taken in 1889. I now own the claim in Rockerville Gulch. Good gold there.

OP
OP
canyonman

canyonman

Nov 2, 2010
CA Gold Country
Glad you enjoyed it. Most of the pics were taken locally, some literally in my back yard. It's nice to know the history of the ones that I haven't been able to identify

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
canyonman

canyonman

Nov 2, 2010
CA Gold Country
Goody,
Looks like we definitely share a common interest all of the pictures in your post are also in my collection. Had to delete some from the power point to make the music fit. If you happen across any others from the mother lode area I would love to see them
Slides 30, 31 and 38 were taken within a quarter mile of my home. I took a little liberty with the title slide, the miner on the left is a bit different than the photo in your collection. Aint photoshop a cool thing? I'm kind of like Steven King... a little bit part in my "movie"

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Gents,
Those are some awesome photographs and thank you for sharing them! I also liked the music with the slide show. I noticed a few pairs of pants with holes in the knees and the Chinese man was especially interesting to look at. The classifier system also caught my eye and as goodguy and The Don noted it is an interesting item. Looking at the pictures caused me to feel some pity for those folks as the conditions were certainly hard. The country side is still rough today but we have some light weight modern conveniences to make our lives "out there" a bit more comfortable. Some of them sure tore the place up while others kept it nice and neat.

A good history lesson, thanks! 63bkpkr

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
For the most part, it looks like these guys have the angles and sluices set right, but I can see some errors here and there, which is why there is still gold on those tailings piles you see, and sometimes larger gold! But mostly lots of small stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread