Updated with photo : Ahhh!!!??? Mercury in my pan?!?!?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( I could use some expert advice!!! Ive been panning gold recently and found a glob of mercury in the bottom of my pan. I realize it has sucked up a bunch of my gold! >:( I have NEVER had the desire or have ever thought to use mercury, i do not want to mess with it AT ALL!!! But its got my gold!!! What should i do? I know nothing about retorting mercury or messing with it at all, but i want my gold back lol! Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I am also worried about finding more when i go back to get more material to pan....Am I in any danger from this stuff? Should i wear gloves and a mask when im out there getting my material? What would you do? :dontknow: Here is a pic of some more mercury i have found, Thanks all very much for the advice on this, im going camping this comming weekend and i think im going to try the potato. Ill feed it to my neighbors dog cause it barks all night....."Just kidding" ::)

Attachments

• 100_1900.JPG
    100_1900.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 830
  • 100_1900.JPG
    100_1900.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0

falsesignal

Greenie
Aug 8, 2011
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ahhh!!!??? Mercury in my pan?!?!?

same thing happened to me yesterday. went sluicing for the day and found a few flakes, some had a small amount of mercury on them. i put all the gold togeteher in my snuffer bottle and when i got home and empty snuffer bottle all the gold was covered in mercury, no gold showing, first time i seen that, i find gold with mercury all the time and it never infected other gold before. i was going to cook off mercury, put in small metal container with tin foil over it and cook for a few seconds on camping stove, outside of course. i did this before and it worked well, but be very very careful of fumes, dont want to breath that stuff in, dont know how safe of a method it is but works. safer way would be a retort.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Start campfire

Put mercury infested gold in potato ( slice in half and hollow out a small hole)

put halves back together and wrap with foil

Put potato in coals, drink beer, take a walk, take some pics, come back and retrieve potato, let cool

pull out gold button, dispose of potato safely, do not eat >:(

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:tongue3: potato bs is a pain-keep it simple and stupidly easy=KISS=always best. Just buy a small heavy metal camp cup for all mercury use and NOTHING ELSE. A hot briquette,camp fire,gas,lighter fuel in a half a coke can and instant gold--go upwind and reap the rewards-John

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USE THE POTATO METHOD!!!
BUT DON'T THROW THE POTATO AWAY... AND DO NOT EAT IT EITHER!!!!!

CRUSH THE POTATO AFTER COOL, THEN PAN OUT THE MERCURY JUST LIKE PANNING OUT THE GOLD. KEEP IT IN IT'S OWN CONTAINER (WELL MARKED AND SEALED) UNTIL IT CAN BE RECYCLED OR PASSED ON TO SOME ONE THAT WILL MAKE SURE THAT IT DOESN'T GET BACK INTO THE ECO-SYSTEM AGAIN.

IF GOLD PROSPECTORS DO NOT REMOVE THIS TOXIC MATERIAL FROM OUR WATER WAYS, NOBODY ELSE WILL. WE GET THE BAD REPUTATION FOR WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE.

WE NEED THE GOOD P.R.

'NUFF SAID
:read2: :read2: :icon_sunny:
PM

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its all up to you but understand,when Merc is heated its the vapors that do bad things,Vapors leave residue and that residue can be absorbed through the skin.Should you be afraid heck no...if you are gonna mine much,you will find it....sometimes lots of it.I use Nitric acid,its no safer than anything else,but you dont run the risk of ending up with a "button",...I dont want a "button".No matter your technique your gold will have a gray stain to it.There are various methods for removing this but I use Vinegar,and salt in a PLASTIC vial,shake it vigorously,until your gold is cleaning up....this can take some time.Your end result will be bright shiny,almost fake looking gold.

riverrunner814

Feb 14, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Much better option don't mess with mercury it is very toxic. Once ingested into your body its there for good. Too much its leathal and that dose is small. Yes you can use the potato and it will work but dont breath the vapors thats leathal. Just giving my advice take it or leave it your choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread