New Guy From Indiana Just Trying To Get A Little Help

Aug 7, 2011
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
not seeing it ,off hand id say it was pyrite. how does it flow in your pan? does it lag behind all the other material when panning it? while out in the sun,shade the material and does the color of it dull when the sun is blocked?theres lots of fine gold in Indiana but you got to work for it.

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
We carry a book by Chuck Lassiter called Midwest Gold Prospecting. Chuck is from Indiana and emphasizes it in the book. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who is looking for glacial gold deposits ANYWHERE! The information is clear and easy to understand. I am amazed how much he covers in this book. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
M
Aug 7, 2011
russau said:
not seeing it ,off hand id say it was pyrite. how does it flow in your pan? does it lag behind all the other material when panning it? while out in the sun,shade the material and does the color of it dull when the sun is blocked?theres lots of fine gold in Indiana but you got to work for it.

well i tried to take a picture of it but my camera isn't that good so it didn't show up good enough to see it in detail it dulls down out water i havent panned but 3 pans so im not good at it but ive been watching videos on it i tested what i had today and it said it was gold on the way it moves in the pan it is pretty much dust but it moves pretty quick but like i said before im probaly panning to fast

OP
OP
M
Aug 7, 2011
Nuggetville said:
We carry a book by Chuck Lassiter called Midwest Gold Prospecting. Chuck is from Indiana and emphasizes it in the book. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who is looking for glacial gold deposits ANYWHERE! The information is clear and easy to understand. I am amazed how much he covers in this book. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy hunting!

alright thanks ill have to check some books out

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i have been panning around in a few little streams on my grandpas land and i believe i may have found some glacial gold but not 100% on that i mean its gold in color but then some of it is black on side . Its in rocks and some real tiny flakes. I was just wondering if this typical for Indiana gold.

Im in nw Indiana if your close send me a message, I can help I have all the stuff to use....peace

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go online, Midwestprospector.com .....this is Chick's website. Real nice guy who prospects in Indiana and can answer just about any question you might have. By all means get Chuck's book!

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go Matthew this is Indiana gold flower gold#3..JPG

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think indiana gold is the best looking gold of all!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best looking gold is in MY pan! TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about Hoosier gold is ......you earn every speck you can find.
Also anyone who can recover glacial gold is a good hard working prospector and could go anywhere in the world where there's gold and recover it with no problem.

Also Hoosiers ...... Dont forget to keep an eye out for diamonds, the quality of hoosier diamonds is some of the best in the world and they come in many colors. Just add a greased diamond catcher to the end of your sluice and you're in business.

You can also learn to use a Batea sieve if you get serious about prospecting for diamonds.

GG~

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GG have you already posted a thread on the grease trap at the end of the sluice or is just simply adding some grease to the last portion of the sluice. I've made a FB with the help from you and Astro B (mines not as pretty as yours but it works) Can I add a grease trap to the end of my screen on a fluid bed?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GG have you already posted a thread on the grease trap at the end of the sluice or is just simply adding some grease to the last portion of the sluice. I've made a FB with the help from you and Astro B (mines not as pretty as yours but it works) Can I add a grease trap to the end of my screen on a fluid bed?

NO GREASE ON YOUR SLUICE!!! The grease plate must be added to the very end of your sluice and be very careful not to contaminate any other gold recovering equipment with grease and that includes your buckets, pans, sluice, hands, etc.

A mixture of beeswax, paraffin, and olive oil works exceptionally well. Also white lithium grease can be used.
Takes some experimenting to achieve just the right consistency. The use of synthetic tracers with a specific gravity of 3.2 help to insure that the mixtures consistency is right.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread