Clay layer

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a spot where I came up with a little color in the dirt under some bedrock piece's I was able to pull up, my question is under the dirt is a clay layer its some grey dense clay would there be gold in this clay? I would think that it wouldn't penetrate this real dense clay, but I don't really know so that why I'm asking as I've been leaving this material alone and only getting the dirt setting on top of it. Thanks for any help

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Run back out there to dissolve some in water and test pan it. Yes gold can be in clay, very common in some places (eg. Oregon) rare in others...

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure it will dissolve in the water as its hard as a rock you got to really work at breaking it up, when you get a chunk in the pan it looks like rock you can break it but it takes alot of force to break it, thats why I was thinking there wouldn't be any gold to penetrate it. Is there anything that will dissolve hard clay like that? I seen a video on here where they was talking about gold being in some red clay thats what got me thinking as I don't want to pass any material up that may hold gold. I can break some up and see but I have a sluice now and it would be nice to put some through the sluice to see but it being as hard as it is the material will pass right through the sluice unless I break it down first. Thanks for the info

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,it can be on it,in it,and under it.
Spot I was working this last year is a great example...The first major pay streak was on top of a layer of dense clay,and they was a secondary Pay streak under it.
The Blue Lead type clay in my area can be loaded with gold as well

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading that I thought of those kitchen sieves that mash the material through the sieve...

chinois.jpg

Dump your material into the sieve which is hanging in a water bucket. Run the masher about. Wash rinse repeat.

Another style I noticed while looking for that image.

DE6C2A5A.jpg

(all assuming you're not hauling a trommel out)

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep thats a good ideal I'll look for something like that to at least test it just to be sure, the one with the blade looks like it might work good. Thanks all

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!!

Take and put enough water to cover your clay and add dish soap,soap will help break down the clay.Or dry it out and pulverize it to near powder,then pan

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kuger,

In a spot like what you are talking about, do you find a lot of gravel in the clay? I work an area that the gold sits mostly on top of the clay. The clay has little to no gravel in it and I assume (you know what they say about assuming), that it is decomposed slate in place. Would that make sense?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spiller,some of it does some of it does not.I always sample the clay to see.My theory on some clay is that it is in a semi liquid state at some point,and hardens as time goes on?Not sure,but have found enough gold inside of it to make it worth looking.But the majority of the time,yea,it will be on top,or under neath

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions