Nightfall

Greenie
May 24, 2014
Orangevale CA
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went up to the salmon falls bride yesterday with my pan and a bucket. Spent maybe 3 hours crevassing and recovered 5 or 6 matchhead sized flakes out of about 5 gallons of material. Literally maybe 75 yards upstream from the bridge.

If you live here in the motherload area of california that's how easy it can be to find a little bit of good 'yella gold'. Am planning on headed a little further upstream to get out of the heavily traveled area next time and see if the color improves. Updates to come.

Upvote 0

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found small amounts of color in both. Up the bank work the cracks and crevices in the bed rock. Cracks that run parallel to the flow of water behind big boulders or rocks have been good producers of color for me so far. Whether on the bank or hills doesn't seem to make much difference in the amount of color I've seen.

How far up from the bridge does the bedrock start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say easier to hit bedrock 1/4 mile and up than at the bridge.

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any nuggets around there? Or is it all fines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fairly small gold, Deep pools, silt covered. Better bet might be Cronan and work downstream.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wrote this story several years ago about prospectinging up from the bridge.

A pay streak to remember

I've made many a trip up the south fork of the American River near my house and every trip has its memories. Once I came upon a family of five river otters who chatted at me for hours while I watched them play. Of course when I took my daughter upriver to see them they had moved on, however a beautiful tarantula spider replaced the earlier scene.

Now, let’s move on to the art of finding gold where many a man and woman have trod before. I've been up the north side of the river many times because it’s an easier boulder-hopping hike than the other. As you all know from experience the other side of the river always looks like a better gold catch when you are finding little gold on your current side. The gold strike started about three weeks ago when Randy and I ventured up the south side for about three-quarter miles. We first stopped at an inviting place in the rocks and found some small stuff, which kept us busy for several hours. A prospecting guy (Alex) from El Dorado Hills passed by and said he thought the gold was better further up about one-quarter mile so I followed him in the shadows leaving Randy behind. Lo and behold… he was right! I immediately found sizable gold with a few pickers in the first few pans. As it was getting late I found Randy down stream and the first day ended. Now I was on to something. I think the old-timers called it a gold strike!

The next trip three days later was comprised of me, Peter and Larry (my first retired partner). We started moving boulders just at the waters edge, working together getting down to bedrock as one hard working team. Lo and behold many a flake was pouring out along with small pick able nuggets. We kept digging in our uncovered bedrock trough area all day and the gold kept on coming for everyone. About three o'clock the river came up and that ended our day as the gold bearing area was covered under about a foot of water. As we were leaving I came across a five-foot long crevasse full of loose gravel. Peter and I sampled the gravel and it seemed to be full of flakes, then before we could do another pan, the river rose and covered the area.

I dreamed about that spot all night and at first light the next day Ora,(my spouse) Angel (our dog) and I hiked to the spot and panned all the gold out before anyone else could get to it (since the strike was almost in my backyard I thought I deserved to pull it out first). The group (Dale joined us) made about six trips to the same location in a three-week period and worked about five spots in a forty-foot area right at the waters edge and all found our best panning gold ever. Most of the time we stood in a line waiting our turn to fill a pan. We also agreed to take lunch at the same time thus no one would get more time in the hole while others were on a break (now that's real friendship). I had one pan from a perfect little uncovered bowl that had about one pennyweight of gold.

The streak has seemed to have run out the day we took Randy and Tom along. They say we seeded the place and now it was gone or was never really there ! Now as we look across the river from our worked out strike we think it looks mighty good over there, we think maybe there is another gold strike in our future. Folsom Lake is now way up so the spot on the river is currently under about 15 feet of water, to be protected until next winter. One can only hope that there is still more gold to be found.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like great crevicing. Next Winter should be a good time for the scenario you describe unless we actually get early and heavy rain and then the lake will be high or higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread