Austin, Texas Area?

david6789

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2014
Austin, Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all.

As you can see I am super new and yes a noob!

My Son and I love watching all the different Gold rush type shows. I thought that some gold panning and prospecting would be a GREAt father/son activity. But I am not sure where to begin.

So my questions are:

1. Are there placed to Gold Pan in the Austin, texas area?
2. Any experienced panners around this area that could show us the ropes?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Head out Hwy 71 to Llano and work the river. Go upstream toward Castell. If no luck, go back into Llano and head just south to Sandy Creek. Flour(powder) gold in there. Try any of the creeks up in the Llano uplift area. Fredericksburg north to Llano, over toward Kingsland. You should find something. Main thing is---have fun and if you stop for lunch at Cooper's in Llano, have some for me...

Last edited:
OP
OP
david6789

david6789

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2014
Austin, Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys! This forum is packed with awesome info! We just joined the GPAA for 3 years. And we are going to join the Round Rock GPAA chapter!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls ! try Baby'shead Mt near Kingsland.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baby's Head , as I recall is near Lake Buchannon.. Doesn't help much, I know [ Lake Buck is enormous].

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David and Austin , I heard rumors that Balconi's Ranch [ Marble Falls area] has some color in the creek. It is a public area

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I was told by someone that there are folks dredging in Lake LBJ, up and down the shallows producing a decent amount of gold. Folks get caught once in a while, but continue to dredge. Babyhead Mountain, Babyhead Creek and Babyhead, Tx are 10-11 miles north of Llano on Hwy 16. Nearly all is private property. About 1-2 dozen live there. Access to the creek is iffy, but center of a waterway is public---Unless a property owner shoots you. Be careful. May need to ask permission. Been there, looked at old cemetary, never prospected. Too old now. Good luck, but area is rolling country and limestone. Last igneous is at the roadside park north of Llano. Llanite. Granite with small blue calcite crystals. Only found there and named for Llano. Pretty deposit, rare, hammer to your heart's content, but sort of worthless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread