Thanks To Lanny

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A hearty thanks to Lanny who taught me to look for fist sized cobble under suspended boulders up off the waterline. Works everytime.

photo (3).JPG

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cant beat wisdom from the Pro's. :)

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AG this one is going to bother you too. I had to stop at 11am to go home to do chores. Left the area only very partially worked. Got to get back to that one soon.

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mojo, your slowly killing me! If I lived any closer I be over in a heart beat to do your chores for you to keep you on some of your finds longer. All in all great finds and make sure you take time to get back to it! Again great finds.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a nice shed in the back yard?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFLMAO! Going to set him up a cot there Mojo?

I've been chasing gold for a lot of year now and one thing I really love about this forum is how so many others are always willing to give good valid advise. I've picked up a lot of good tips and tricks that I hadn't thought of before. It just goes to show that when it comes to prospecting and mining, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Looking to find a nugget like the one your holding!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've certainly learned many valuable tips from Lanny over the years while reading his entertaining as well as educational long running thread started in 2003: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Also Lanny has started a new thread this year (2014) dedicated solely to prospecting tips. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/398442-gold-hunting-prospecting-tips.html

Many thanks Friend, Keep up the good work and anxiously awaiting a signed copy of your book once it's published.

Go for the Gold,
GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny is one of Tnets' oldies but goodies as his great contributions never end-kudos as always Lanny and nuttn' but respect sir-tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John the same can be said of you and all the other heavy hitters. Thanks to all of you for passing down the knowledge.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, I would be pretty sad is this forum went away.

I have learned so much here and made great friends, some I have met in person. :)

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A hearty thanks to Lanny who taught me to look for fist sized cobble under suspended boulders up off the waterline. Works everytime.

View attachment 1089164

Anyone have any photos of what cobble under suspended boulders looks like? I'm a visual learner. Are we talking just stacked up boulders with smaller ones underneath?

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They take many forms but it will be a boulder or more that can be round but is usually flatter and sitting on exposed bedrock or small boulders. They are up away from the 10 to 25 feet in elevation and will have round cobble fist sized or larger in a flat bed laying underneath. Depending on how the cobble gets trapped will determine where the gold will be and if there are cracks or traps under the suspension. The material may be only 2 inches deep and 50' distance from the water and can be holding a picker, flakes or fines. Here is a pic of one type. The last one I worked had over 60 pieces of lead in it.

IMG_4534.JPG

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They take many forms but it will be a boulder or more that can be round but is usually flatter and sitting on exposed bedrock or small boulders. They are up away from the 10 to 25 feet in elevation and will have round cobble fist sized or larger in a flat bed laying underneath. Depending on how the cobble gets trapped will determine where the gold will be and if there are cracks or traps under the suspension. The material may be only 2 inches deep and 50' distance from the water and can be holding a picker, flakes or fines. Here is a pic of one type. The last one I worked had over 60 pieces of lead in it.

View attachment 1092368

Oh! So we're talking totally out of the summer waterline and up on the banks!?

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_4305.JPG

This one was 50 feet back from the water at about 15' elevation. If you magnify it you can see the cobble back in under the center rock. This one had quite a bit of gold in the pocket.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh! So we're talking totally out of the summer waterline and up on the banks!?

Yes still in the annual waterline but higher up. If it has some sort of ramp heading up to it where the water can have an easy climb and then lose energy and flatten out is where I find them. The pocket will be facing towards the downstream side.

This picker off the NF last weekend was under the downstream end of a 10 ton flat boulder sitting on a bedrock trough in a pocket 2" deep and the size of a coffee cup, 40 feet up bank and 15 feet elevation.

IMG_20141206_213236.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread