Simple solution to fine gold recovery

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This was developed by Randy Clarkson, an expert in gold recovery designs.

A simple gizmo to help miners snag lost gold..... New gizmo could help placer miners snag lost gold | Yukon News

Also this by Randy Clarkson on fine gold recovery which is somewhat misleading in that this is mostly about commercial ops and 1" minus classification is considered fine....... The Clarkson Study Fine Gold Recovery

Here is a PDF presentation of the process....... http://www.geology.gov.yk.ca/pdf/141114_Nov1014_Grinding_for_Gold_Presentation.pdf ....... Thank you arizau for finding that PDF

Enjoy the learning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. But if I do that, what I may do is save some of the cons., clean up the gold since some is stained (iron or whatever), and remix it with what I saved to make a super high grade concentrate with mostly visible gold for display or jewelry. I'm still torn on what I want to do with it since it is probably an extremely rare sample of high grade quartz mill concentrates probably pre WWII.
Or even Pre-Cambrian! :D

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What?....... you all give up on the threaded rod concept..... I am still waiting to see if the concept is valid or not.. I still vote NOT.

Easy test get 5 or 6 pieces of threaded rod hold them together in your fist .... Now cup them together between both hands and try to roll them...... the threads will cause an interlocking and skipping... this will not be conducive to the purpose and concept which is to crush some of the black sands and "flatten" the gold so it becomes physically larger and is then more easily separated by screen classifying out of the now smaller black sands ...
And also consider the very valid idea brought up by arizau regarding the particles possibly jamming into the threads and cut up as well as distorted which really defeats the purpose of the goal.

This image from ... http://www.geology.gov.yk.ca/pdf/141114_Nov1014_Grinding_for_Gold_Presentation.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 9.58.34 PM.png

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All this speculation and sidelines coaching is fun but the only way to really know is to try it!

My plan is to add a few pieces of threaded to my load of smooth rods and see what happens.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All this speculation and sidelines coaching is fun but the only way to really know is to try it!

My plan is to add a few pieces of threaded to my load of smooth rods and see what happens.

I look forward to your results.....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I think?!?

Sorry but I don't have any plans to try using a sand blaster right now. I lack both time and money for that at the moment...maybe this winter :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Kev you are always welcome to come over and use my sandblaster! let me know when youll be over and ill throw a couple of steaks on! and maybe a cool beverage!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's step back a little here with some critical analysis....
[snip] and is running at critical speed (example, GoldpannerDave and his rubber rock polisher cylinder, when he gets off his duff and completes the mod. with the new motor:laughing7:) then there is no telling what the results will be until it is tested.

Let the fun begin!

I am not just sitting on my duff :) I am grading while sitting, reading and occasionally writing here in TNet, and sometimes getting a bit of time to use the new (as in recently acquired) Gold Cube. Or reading to my grandkids or listening to the 8 year old explain Minecraft to me as he plays it. :)

When winter comes, I will be back to working on this particular project. But thanks for the gentle push not to forget it!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not just sitting on my duff :) I am grading while sitting, reading and occasionally writing here in TNet, and sometimes getting a bit of time to use the new (as in recently acquired) Gold Cube. Or reading to my grandkids or listening to the 8 year old explain Minecraft to me as he plays it. :)

When winter comes, I will be back to working on this particular project. But thanks for the gentle push not to forget it!

I know you have more important things to do and family, including the cadets, and new toys come first. Just pushing your button. You and Kevin are the only ones even trying the method so....

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
What?....... you all give up on the threaded rod concept..... I am still waiting to see if the concept is valid or not.. I still vote NOT.

Easy test get 5 or 6 pieces of threaded rod hold them together in your fist .... Now cup them together between both hands and try to roll them...... the threads will cause an interlocking and skipping... this will not be conducive to the purpose and concept which is to crush some of the black sands and "flatten" the gold so it becomes physically larger and is then more easily separated by screen classifying out of the now smaller black sands ...
And also consider the very valid idea brought up by arizau regarding the particles possibly jamming into the threads and cut up as well as distorted which really defeats the purpose of the goal.

This image from ... http://www.geology.gov.yk.ca/pdf/141114_Nov1014_Grinding_for_Gold_Presentation.pdf

View attachment 1221142

Or, use ONE piece of threaded rod added to the existing mix, sabe?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or, use ONE piece of threaded rod added to the existing mix, sabe?

That's what I was thinking too...am in a biz trip right now so the testing will have to wait a bit but you all will be the first to hear what I learn :)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think non threaded rod would be the way to go....threaded will give relief to the pieces and would cut, bend and most likely add time even if minimal to the process. But, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know you have more important things to do and family, including the cadets, and new toys come first. Just pushing your button. You and Kevin are the only ones even trying the method so....

I know; and I took it in that manner, too. Besides the Gold Cube being new, my wife agreed to let me buy it only if I got the garage more or less cleaned up so I can put my car in it for the winter (unlike Arizona, we get lots of snow). I had gold processing set-ups (Miller Table and Gold Hog Washing Mats (concentration mats, not sluice mats, that I talked about elsewhere) along with a lot of 5 gal pails of cons or in same cases classified, virgin material.

Ducky has also been doing work with this, too, but his father has been having medical problems, so his attention is focused on other things right now. Plus he got a new vehicle, so even with early fall low water conditions, I'm sure he wants to just get out on the creek and do a bit of panning

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know; and I took it in that manner, too. Besides the Gold Cube being new, my wife agreed to let me buy it only if I got the garage more or less cleaned up so I can put my car in it for the winter (unlike Arizona, we get lots of snow). I had gold processing set-ups (Miller Table and Gold Hog Washing Mats (concentration mats, not sluice mats, that I talked about elsewhere) along with a lot of 5 gal pails of cons or in same cases classified, virgin material.

Ducky has also been doing work with this, too, but his father has been having medical problems, so his attention is focused on other things right now. Plus he got a new vehicle, so even with early fall low water conditions, I'm sure he wants to just get out on the creek and do a bit of panning

Here is the rod Dave is speaking about that i have. its about 3/4" diameter and is some sort of aluminum brass alloy. its a strange one. Heavy but easy to cut. has a brass look to it. It fits inside of tape librarys (analog storage systems) made by IBM. i can get a few of these rods a year. we don't throw them away often but when we do i take them for projects. They are about 5 feet long or so. Its basically a worm gear, used to move the picker robot (the device that moves the tapes from one place to another) up and down.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow: Still waiting for some results here.........:blackbeard: I ain't getting any younger ya know.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread