Simple solution to fine gold recovery

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This was developed by Randy Clarkson, an expert in gold recovery designs.

A simple gizmo to help miners snag lost gold..... New gizmo could help placer miners snag lost gold | Yukon News

Also this by Randy Clarkson on fine gold recovery which is somewhat misleading in that this is mostly about commercial ops and 1" minus classification is considered fine....... The Clarkson Study Fine Gold Recovery

Here is a PDF presentation of the process....... http://www.geology.gov.yk.ca/pdf/141114_Nov1014_Grinding_for_Gold_Presentation.pdf ....... Thank you arizau for finding that PDF

Enjoy the learning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe I should have clarified as my perceptions are based on and compare to the original design and operating parameters. No arguments here about what you experienced (satisfactory results) but just an analysis of what happens under, as originally designed or ideal conditions. As your equipment advances these principles may come into play.

Let us know.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I bought the red Chicago rock tumbler twin drum model. 2×3lb for $60 bucks with shipping on Ebay. I decided to buy because my daughter and I have an interest in tumbling rocks ( which turns out is a 4 week process! :/ and I bought a set of grit for 15 bucks.. little did I know that was only enough for 1 run. Is that right?!?!?! Or did I get ripped off? Seems damn expensive to polish a handful of rocks. )

I was hoping to maybe use it for my rod mill. My drums are rubber and I would prefer to use metal but I'm sure it would still work. Problem is I just counted the rpm and it's only 50...72 is what you need right?

I haven't priced a rock tumbler for many years, but I think the price is probably OK.

And yes, you will need higher rpms; that is why I quite working on this until I got the new motor from Ducky (via KevinInColorado--a big thanks to both of you) and I have time to do the mods needed and run some gold cons.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't priced a rock tumbler for many years, but I think the price is probably OK.

And yes, you will need higher rpms; that is why I quite working on this until I got the new motor from Ducky (via KevinInColorado--a big thanks to both of you) and I have time to do the mods needed and run some gold cons.

I did some comparison shopping and am happy with what I paid for the tumbler. But that polishing grit...15 bucks for enough to run one 3lb drum once? ...that seems crazy I though it would last at least 3-4 runs.. Oh well I should have shopped it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going into town Wednesday to get some grub and see if I can locate a wiper motor. I like the wiper motors from trucks due to normally long service life and I think they would be strong enough and fast enough without additional gearing. Thanks for the number crunching. I had thought that about 80 rpm would be a good target to shoot for. If the motor is too fast, a dimmer switch should work to slow it down, otherwise if its too slow, different pulleys may work.

If I use PVC, I'm not sure where to find flat material for the ends? I wonder if I can super glue a lexan, (plexiglass) disk on the end? i have lots of scraps but cutting them in circles is a pain.
Try this! Cut a piece of the PVC pipe long enough to span the end of the pipe. Cut a slit down the side, and heat the piece until it's soft. Press between a couple pieces of metal or even on concrete with a flat weight on it till it cools Wha la! a flat sheet of PVC you can cut to fit your pipe end. A little primer & glue and you're good to go!

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's not a simple solution

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or just buy the right pipe fittings for a couple bucks.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL. But ... about your rollers. Ever consider threaded rod? That would impart higher localized pressures and give you crinkly flakes! But I'd try real short runs so as not to dice it too small. Threaded rod comes in stainless and brass as well, no rust. Might even accumulate on the threads, wire brush it off into a bucket :D

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great idea! I'll have to try that!

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL. But ... about your rollers. Ever consider threaded rod? That would impart higher localized pressures and give you crinkly flakes! But I'd try real short runs so as not to dice it too small. Threaded rod comes in stainless and brass as well, no rust. Might even accumulate on the threads, wire brush it off into a bucket :D

At some point you have to quit trying to reinvent the wheel....... This is it.... really.... think about this ...... Seriously?:BangHead:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At some point you have to quit trying to reinvent the wheel....... This is it.... really.... think about this ...... Seriously?:BangHead:

Nonsense! CN has a good idea that never occurred to me. Definitely worth trying.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nonsense! CN has a good idea that never occurred to me. Definitely worth trying.

Come on...... really?
Kevin, you obviously have WAY too much free time on your hands.....???

Have fun... But do let me know how this turns out......:laughing7:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's step back a little here with some critical analysis....

Lets analyze what we know about KinC's device as an example. In this device the use of threaded may be beneficial since he thinks, and if it is so, the flattening is done between the rods and not necessarily against the cylinder wall. I am led to believe that currently his device rolls at somewhat less than critical speed and that makes a big difference between his and the original concept. There is potential for the threaded rods to mesh with material caught in the grooves between them and result in an overall increase in the area of contact surface vs straight sided rods. If they do not mesh then the contact areas will be greatly reduced. There are caveats with threaded rod though......The gold that is caught in the grooves, or between the points of the threads, may not only be "crinkled" but may be chopped up into smaller pieces and that is not a desired result and it is sure to happen the closer the RPM's are to critical speed. Another caveat is for gold to be smeared in the grooves and be difficult to remove. Also, at or close to critical speed, much of the desired flattening occurs along the cylinder walls and when gold is pinned to the wall and is run over by a threaded rod it is likely to be chopped up resulting in the exact opposite of the desired result. If the cylinder wall is rubber or some other soft side, and is running at critical speed (example, GoldpannerDave and his rubber rock polisher cylinder, when he gets off his duff and completes the mod. with the new motor:laughing7:) then there is no telling what the results will be until it is tested.

Let the fun begin!

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Along these lines, I have some mostly minus 30 mesh old, old California quartz mill concentrates that my Dad gave me before he passed away. I panned the concentrates about 10 times in small amounts and got about 1 1/2 ozT of free milled gold. I'm pretty sure that there is still some gold attached to or contained in the particles in the pint or so of remaining material and this process is probably the best way to liberate and recover it.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizau, you can try my method for free. Just get an old junked inkjet printer (Craig's list?) and remove all the plastic panels. You will reveal a metal frame with rollers intended for paper handling. Strip the wires on the electric motor that drives the rollers and connect to the output wires on the printer power supply...bingo! Cut up some rod, throw it in a coffee can and you're in business!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizau, you can try my method for free. Just get an old junked inkjet printer (Craig's list?) and remove all the plastic panels. You will reveal a metal frame with rollers intended for paper handling. Strip the wires on the electric motor that drives the rollers and connect to the output wires on the printer power supply...bingo! Cut up some rod, throw it in a coffee can and you're in business!

Yeah. But if I do that, what I may do is save some of the cons., clean up the gold since some is stained (iron or whatever), and remix it with what I saved to make a super high grade concentrate with mostly visible gold for display or jewelry. I'm still torn on what I want to do with it since it is probably an extremely rare sample of high grade quartz mill concentrates probably pre WWII.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not so famous quote from Grandpa...... "Never buy sumpin you can make!" Check out your local junk yard for the rod. 3' pieces at your big box store = an arm & leg & your first born. Junk yard = 10' for next to nothing or a sixer of Pepsi or a couple Buds. If you spend the time to wander around, you can find drops for pennies.

Rember! Junk is just misunderstood resources!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not so famous quote from Grandpa...... "Never buy sumpin you can make!" Check out your local junk yard for the rod. 3' pieces at your big box store = an arm & leg & your first born. Junk yard = 10' for next to nothing or a sixer of Pepsi or a couple Buds. If you spend the time to wander around, you can find drops for pennies.

Remember! Junk is just misunderstood resources!

I absolutely agree! Great quote btw :-)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then there is the flip side where your time is worth $.. Add money spent on gas(not always a scrap yard close by), time and the strong possibility of getting "skunked" at the scrap yard it sometimes can be cheaper and much easier to just buy at Home Depot depending on your situation. Now if you have stuff lying around the house or got a lot of free time..that might be the way to go.

I'm a firm believer in re-use repurpose as long as it doesn't take to long :wink: for example I was and still might build a rod mill using a pair of old roller blades for the rollers. I also recycle my beer bottles even though the work out ways the $ 10 to 1. I keep every bit of scrap metal I pull from the river to be recycled eventually. Keep it Green out there!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rember! Junk is just misunderstood resources!
Whoops!!!!! Let me re-phrase that "or a couple Budweisers". Dang now days you gotta be fully caffeinated when you post otherwise people think you're a pot smoker etc etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread