Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just bought a mini pulverizer (hasn't been delivered yet) from action mining in OR for $150, using a drill as the motor claim is 1/2" pcs down to 80 mesh. This is for assay samples.. I will use it to crush my quartz to pan/blue bowl.. my question is , is 80 mesh to fine to pan or Blue bowl?, I don't mind collecting flower gold or will it just wash or float out.. I just got so sick and tired of pounding it down to dust by hand.. plus my hands are starting to give out.. So.. what do ya think?
Thanks
Tony

Upvote 0

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I finish pan I use a 30,50, then an 80 mesh. It really helps when your washing and tapping cons that has -80 colors in it.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the Gold Cube man's (Mike Pung's) videos... The golden rule, if everything in your pan is the same size, gold rules.

He takes it down to a 100.

Where I've been digging, I know the gold is small, really small... The old town was Gold DUST.. I was going 20,40,60, and then
bought a few smaller screens from McMaster Carr and went to 20,50,80,120,250,400... I was losing a TON of gold, not in weight, but in count.
My piece count easily quadrupled...

As for ease, classifying just isn't a whole lot of fun, but once your material is tightly classified, it is SO EASY and quick to pan. I found
it to actually be quicker to classify further and pan all the classifications than to classify less and have to be careful about washing the
small stuff out... and I was still losing a lot of it.

I did a little write up about it last summer over in the journal section.

I would say 80mesh isn't fine enough. At least while you are figuring out what you have.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are guys in Alberta Canada who mostly only get small gold and 80 mesh would seem large. As said, classify the material and it should be no problem to pan 200 mesh.

OP
OP
T

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the info, Looking forward to see what I may have been losing, I have only been going to 30 mesh..

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the info, Looking forward to see what I may have been losing, I have only been going to 30 mesh..

Yeah.... I wouldn't be surprised if you've been loosing gold. Start classifying it down more and you will see a big improvement on both ease of panning and how little gold you loose from that point on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread