Best panning advice that I found on this site- so far.

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a lot of intricate questions about panning, I read articles, watch videos.... But the best advice so far comes from paydirt 1850 video. I think they took it down but you could prob ask him.
It's about NOT using the large riffles when you've taken it down to the lighter material. He suggests turning your pan to the almost smooth section and then slowly washing it out. For me, I was hesitant to really wash the lighter material over the deep riffles because it required too much force to wash it out. So I would try to separate in a circular motion, after that didn't work I would go to a smaller pan. Now after taking his advice, I can take it all down in my big pan. Works for me.

Upvote 0

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a lot of intricate questions about panning, I read articles, watch videos.... But the best advice so far comes from paydirt 1850 video. I think they took it down but you could prob ask him.
It's about NOT using the large riffles when you've taken it down to the lighter material. He suggests turning your pan to the almost smooth section and then slowly washing it out. For me, I was hesitant to really wash the lighter material over the deep riffles because it required too much force to wash it out. So I would try to separate in a circular motion, after that didn't work I would go to a smaller pan. Now after taking his advice, I can take it all down in my big pan. Works for me.

Riffles are only really good when you have constantly flowing water, like in a sluice. Otherwise, those riffles just get in my way. I love my old busted electric wok for a gold pan. Rip and tear through concentrates so fast!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Best pieces of advice I've seen on here for panning (so far) are:

1. Don't be afraid of loosing gold. That's why we use safety pans for after all.

2. Don't be timid when you pan and shake the snot out of the materials. That helps the gold to settle into the riffle quickly so it's held in place when you wash off the excess materials.

3.Also to classify your materials/cons to like sizes so the specific gravity effect is more effective.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you think about this video I did a few years ago?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent summary Terry, well done video!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only switch away from the riffles when I am down to the last little bit in the pan. I trust the riffles and watch the color of the material - washing the light color sands out when they rise to the surface after shaking, then shake again. Watch out for clay, which can rob you of gold (break it up). If you have it, a drop of something to break the surface tension of the water which can float fine gold is also handy. A small pan is easier than a large pan. However, I met one guy who did ok using Frisbee, so go figure...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread