well bought a gold hog hog pan

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well after careful thought and my style of prospecting I figured this is the best going tool I'm going to have going to places where motors aren't aloud and figured this might be faster than using a stream sluice plus using gold hand sucker too so should be here next week psyched up for it!

Upvote 0

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope u got a strong back. I saw the demo video and the claim that you can do a 5 gal bucket in just a few minutes already makes my back hurt.
Went out last week and had to carry a half full bucket of gravel to the Bazooka over and over and my back hurt for 2 days. Can't even imaging having to shake that thing . But i wish You luck.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry vaquero44 , you only have to put as much material in it as you can handle .

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also in a place where motors are banned. So consequently all "force magnifiers" like a Hog Pan sound very interesting.
Keep us posted how it goes.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well western mass I never said this hobby was going to be easy and yes I do realize it is work but I don't it to bad but still better dubbing around itty bitty pans the thing is I'm out for more of a good time less equipment than anything and I love listening to a stream flow

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on your new piece of equipment. You'll love it, it's a great tool. Doc did a great job on this. Really well made and works amazingly well with the sub 100 gold. If your working small gravels try not and overload it. Just use it like doc shows and your back will be OK. I don't notice getting any more sore using it over a regular classifier and pan. It's just much much faster. I like this product as much as my bazooka! And that's saying a lot ; )

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered one myself! I was hooked on the grizzly 3 sluice but went this roue! good luck to ya

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice piece of equipment

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some pretty welds on that bad boy!

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they ain't kiddin when they said it was built like a tank!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you used it yet?
Would like to hear your thoughts after some use.

GG~

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I have there goodguy and not sorry for buying if your looking for a good area and need to speed pan this is it..............Ideal for those places where sluices are not alowed

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Indiana only the state forests have rules against using other than a pan and small scoop.
Not sure if the hog pan would pass or not. Would hate to spend the dough only to be fined and have it confiscated.

Wish I had one to show to the conservation officer to see if allowed before purchase.
Perhaps a photo would suffice. Think I will try that first, as it may be considered a hand sluice due to the grizzly and mat :dontknow:

*Gold Panning
Panning for gold is permitted on Morgan-Monroe and Yellowwood State Forests. A gold panning permit is required! The permit, which can be obtained free of charge, allows for panning gold on a hobby basis. The displacement of any material through use of a pick, shovel or sluice is not allowed due to concern for water quality.

Thanks for your response.
GG~

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Indiana only the state forests have rules against using other than a pan and small scoop.
Not sure if the hog pan would pass or not. Would hate to spend the dough only to be fined and have it confiscated.

Wish I had one to show to the conservation officer to see if allowed before purchase.
Perhaps a photo would suffice. Think I will try that first, as it may be considered a hand sluice due to the grizzly and mat :dontknow:

*Gold Panning
Panning for gold is permitted on Morgan-Monroe and Yellowwood State Forests. A gold panning permit is required! The permit, which can be obtained free of charge, allows for panning gold on a hobby basis. The displacement of any material through use of a pick, shovel or sluice is not allowed due to concern for water quality.

Thanks for your response.
GG~

Read this page from the Hogpan website. Legal Everywhere | Gold Hog Gold Pan It sounds like its use as a gold pan should/may* be defensible in any court though, to be on the safe side, I probably would only use it in a confined container away from the river, etc. in the mentioned State Forests since there is specific reference to "concern for water quality" in those regulations. Hands and Pans areas in other parts of the U.S. may have the same concerns so....

* "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" Thank you Slick Willy!???

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you like it guys....
Got a funny story.
These things are VERY labor intensive and once production is done with all their work they go to finishing.
There they go through another 1/2 hour of sanding and finishing. Taking down edges and burs etc.
It's tough work due to the thickness which is 1/8" alum. Then they go to final packaging.
Because it's busy in production I brought in my son who graduates and goes to college this fall.
Trained him on finishing them and he helps out a few days a week.
I decided to work with him and show him exactly the way we want them done.
While we were working side by side I looked at him and said... "You know... the family that HogPans together stays together."
He gave me that 18 year old look, covered with gray aluminum dust, and said... "shut up"..........
I just chuckled.....
Doc

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This and the whippett drywasher are the 2 coolest pieces of equipment that I've seen so far. dare I say more impressive then the Bazooka?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
do you have pictures,i all way like to look at new ways to do things.
thanks brad

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This and the whippett drywasher are the 2 coolest pieces of equipment that I've seen so far. dare I say more impressive then the Bazooka?

Nonsense unbeliever!
Seriously, they ARE all solid gear! I'd add the Gold Cube to my list and the simple $2 Keene 10" black finishing pan :)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nonsense unbeliever!
Seriously, they ARE all solid gear! I'd add the Gold Cube to my list and the simple $2 Keene 10" black finishing pan :)

depends on you mining techniques and the ground/state/rules your working in.

I've already proven that I can get double what a pan can get with my rocker box and I think this hog pan could do about the same production but would be easier to pack in.

I'll probably pick one up so I'll let you know. I never said it was better or more productive then a bazooka but it is well made, and quite ingenious.

Wether we like it or not, hands and pans is only gonna keep spreading... this is a pan. do you know a "pan" that can move more material?

it's basically what I already do but on a bigger scale and more efficient. pan to the last bit of blacks and gold, dump and repeat.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on you mining techniques and the ground/state/rules your working in.

I've already proven that I can get double what a pan can get with my rocker box and I think this hog pan could do about the same production but would be easier to pack in.

I'll probably pick one up so I'll let you know. I never said it was better or more productive then a bazooka but it is well made, and quite ingenious.

Wether we like it or not, hands and pans is only gonna keep spreading... this is a pan. do you know a "pan" that can move more material?

it's basically what I already do but on a bigger scale and more efficient. pan to the last bit of blacks and gold, dump and repeat.

What good is a gold cube on California public land? great piece , probably the best out there but useless for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread