Last thing left in the pan: any idea what it is?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411199.915885.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411214.534500.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411240.649279.jpg

I'm new to this. Just working out some newbie questions if you don't mind. I was on my local creek in Pennsylvania that I don't believe has gold in it, but I had to try. What is this? It was the last thing left in the pan, but its not gold. At least I don't think it is. And it almost had a slight rust look on one part of it. Wasn't sure if this may be a common thing to find.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this question. I didn't see a better option on the app, so I used this forum to post.

Thanks,

BrettCo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How bout this: it looked like a tiny tiny spec. Last thing left in the pan from a local creek not known for gold. I checked for some reason to see if it would be magnetic, and it is. This is a photo I took of if under 60x microscope I bought: View attachment 1288936 View attachment 1288937 View attachment 1288939

The magnet action suggests a piece of iron trash or a micro meteorite or just a piece of iron rich rock. Probably no gold involved this time, sorry.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet action suggests a piece of iron trash or a micro meteorite or just a piece of iron rich rock. Probably no gold involved this time, sorry.

A meteorite would be pretty cool! It would be crazy if a flake of gold somehow showed up in this creek. I have attached a photo of the only research I could come up with from the Pennypack creek. I've checked, and I'll check again for sure, but do you think this is enough evidence to suggest there really is no gold in the creek? I'm pretty sure glaciers were never present here, either. Sort of a let down, if so, because I have permission in a big area to search. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458741569.434665.jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shame he trash talks mining...while using the products of mining to do his writing. Shame he gets his history so wrong (that famous quote is from an eastern gold rush, not a western one!!). However, old bottles are cool :)

Go prospect elsewhere for gold though, seems he has that fact right at least.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shame he trash talks mining...while using the products of mining to do his writing. Shame he gets his history so wrong (that famous quote is from an eastern gold rush, not a western one!!). However, old bottles are cool :)

Go prospect elsewhere for gold though, seems he has that fact right at least.
'Aint that the truth. It's amazing how the anti miner types can't see past the end of their nose.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's amazing that people sit at a computer containing things mined, in a house that was built with a steel, copper and the like and are ignorant enough to try and ban mining. Then when they see China and South America doing sketchy mining they complain about that too although obviously that's where they'd like their minerals mined. Not in my backyard, or country!

These people are actually doing far more overall damage environmentally to the world and economically to the US by indirectly supporting mining overseas that sometimes uses primitive methods. They can't grasp or honestly admit to themselves they use mined items everyday as Kevin pointed out and that American mining is the safest most advanced eco-friendly mining in the world...

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[oQUOTE=KevinInColorado;4914922]Shame he trash talks mining...while using the products of mining to do his writing. Shame he gets his history so wrong (that famous quote is from an eastern gold rush, not a western one!!). However, old bottles are cool :)

Go prospect elsewhere for gold though, seems he has that fact right at least.[/QUOTE]

oops, didn't realize I was stirring the pot by posting that. I, too, read it and immediately became annoyed, especially when he sarcastically uses the word "blessedly".

Anyhow, I guess I will give up on this creek...but not without one more really long, good day of sluicing. Just in case :)

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like its a chunk of gold with a iron coating on top, ive gotten a few like that in NC.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take hammer, moderately crush, or use pliers. pyrite or garnet will shatter, gold will somewhat deform but not shatter. There is a gold belt west of Philly and south into Lancaster County.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty small. Would be nice to see it in a USB microscope.

GLDPNR

Greenie
Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Lancaster, PA. I get things like that in my pan all the time. I do have a much larger version of that rock that is partially gold. However, most of those rocks are called limotite psydomorphs. It used to be pyrite, then was replaced by other minerals. This was verified by a local jeweler. Hope that helps.

GLDPNR

Greenie
Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the psydomorph's and Limotite I was talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    607.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 70

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread