Bad pans & good pans .

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having used many types of pans for many years I now support the Kress hypothesis . :icon_thumleft:
Some years back i posted the following :--

GOLD PAN and the Kress hypothesis
The importance of the angle of slope of the circular wall is implicit in all US patents for gold pans, but only in the 1950s did any inventor properly examine the effect of the slope on panning performance. It was Bruce Kress who first developed a hypothesis for wall slope in 1957 in US patent #2,797,809. The Kress hypothesis might be reworded as:
The angle of inward slope of the circular wall of a gold pan should be in the range of 18 to 26 degrees; less than this and the contents of the pan are likely to remain inert, more than this and the contents of the pan are prone to collapse regardless of the size of the particles or their density.

If the Kress hypothesis is correct, then the majority of North American pans have outer walls that are much too steep for ease of efficient use. Yet thousands of recreational miners, prospectors and geologists continue to use steep-sided pans. Possibly the Kress hypothesis is erroneous; more likely the hypothesis is correct but compromised by the overriding desire of the panner to have a central flat area of maximum size to contain the maximum ore and water during the initial wetting, disaggregating and sorting. Only in the later stages of panning does the Kress hypothesis become critical, after the volume of solids and water in the pan have become greatly reduced. Tests and detailed observations are required. In the 50 years since the Kress hypothesis was propounded; more than 10 North American gold pans have been patented but all ignore it.

Please consider when buying your next pan !

jack

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the key fact.

As most folks work down to the heavies, they naturally adjust the angle of the pan wall to be flatter. Simple.

PS the Garrett Super Sluice kills but it's so heavy I usually carry my Proline Professional instead.

One thing I never considered when I bought my first pan... hand size. I have a couple meathooks but small hands so sometimes a smaller 12" pan is what I use to take a break from the SS.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kress hypothesis

Thanks for starting this thread Jack. This would explain a lot.
Gonna try a few changes in my gold pans and see if it helps recovery.
Think I'll start with 18 degree flat bottom 8".

panterra.JPG

AJones

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be a foam plug mounted on a lazy susan with an electric drill to give it a spin.
The trolley thing has a dremel mounted on it set to cut at 18 degrees.
Once cut to shape gonna lay some fiberglass on it.
I'm thinkin smoothon 655 with aluminum in it.
:coffee2:

AJones

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As long as you are working with wood you might try making a batea. https://www.google.com/search?q=bat...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=wooden+batea+gold+pan+. They are reputed to be excellent gold pans. Add a couple of pieces/rings* of exotic hardwood for a beautiful display piece.:thumbsup:

*You can glue up narrow pieces to form octagons to make the rings and save on wood cost not to mention not having to carve out huge slabs of wood. https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.19215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried piecing together a russian style lotok pan out of wood, didnt work very well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well personally I don't think there is a "bad" pan! All of them have their own advantages or good points. I've bought a lot of different pans in the past but got rid of them. I like the first pan I got and its the gpaa pan and I have about 6 of them. when cleaning up my cons I like to have several pans close to put cons into separately.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's done and the plug didn't break.

Yippee

dunwidit.JPG
Embedded some neodyes on a ledge to hold a classifier.
Still gotta get to azmetalz to see what they have for punchplate.
Three layers of .015 glass. Tips the scale about 225gr.

Here's the poop sheet on the resin.

655.JPG

Should hold up.

AJones

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A good pan has gold in it. A bad one does not.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This pan was a total disaster.
Everything we put in it just washed over the edge.
Zero recovery.

notgood.JPG

Soon as I test the new pan gonna start on a batea same angle.

next.JPG

AJones

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a catch basin for a potted plant. I have one just like it that I use as a collection pan along with my gold pan when I need to carry more material but don't want the weight of a fiver.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the little I have seen of their use Bateas have a different sort of operation from a regular gold pan, less shaking more swirling it would seem.

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a Batpan Batea type in the river

I use the Garret green regular pans..however I like the Batpan a Batea style with slim magnets on two sides to catch the black sand which then catches the very fine flour gold. The Batpan has a different technique to use than the round pans and it works well. It's nice to float it on water for smooth rocking separation. Classifies and collects the gold in the center triangle. You can find some vids oh Youtube to see if this right for you.

Batpan.jpg Top view
Neodymium iron boron magnets on bottom.jpg Bottom view showing magnets

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bad pans & good pans .

I use the Garret green regular pans..however I like the Batpan a Batea style with slim magnets on two sides to catch the black sand which then catches the very fine flour gold. The Batpan has a different technique to use than the round pans and it works well. It's nice to float it on water for smooth rocking separation. Classifies and collects the gold in the center triangle. You can find some vids oh Youtube to see if this right for you.

View attachment 1476284 Top view

I tried a friend’s Batpan. Cool idea. Way too small for my taste.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread