Panning supplies storage

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for input on how to store my panning supplies. I have some pans, sieves are coming tomorrow. Banjo pan, etc. I'd like to have a nice convenient method to store it all, but easily pack it in a car or carry to a site. My first thought says a plastic tote, but then I wonder is a big backpack may be better. I notice all my plastic pans have a small hole on the ridge, so maybe a clip though that and hanging it all will be better.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plastic tote is good but you want things to dry out well between outings to avoid stink so don't seal it up. Also once used, you have to assume your gear has gold in it (since it DOES!) so a tote helps catch gold that falls off your gear. I do carry my field pan and classifier in a backpack...which I occasionally shake out into a pan :)

If you are hauling a lot of stuff to the creek, some folks use a wheeled cart of some sort.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for input on how to store my panning supplies. I have some pans, sieves are coming tomorrow. Banjo pan, etc. I'd like to have a nice convenient method to store it all, but easily pack it in a car or carry to a site. My first thought says a plastic tote, but then I wonder is a big backpack may be better. I notice all my plastic pans have a small hole on the ridge, so maybe a clip though that and hanging it all will be better.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Both are good each in their own way. A back pack is a lot easier to take to the creek than a tote when hiking a distance from the car.
A small carabiner attached to your pan sure comes in handy for hooking it to the outside of a pack or onto a belt loop.

Sometimes I run a length of cord from my pan and hook it to a belt loop with a small carabiner, same with my scoop when working around fast water.
Plus I've been known to lay the scoop down and have to look for it unless it's attached to me.

GG~

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a large backpack. Holds two pans and a 1/2" classifier, 3" hand dredge and small iron bar. As Kevin says we need to pan the sand and gravel it accumulates occasionally. We also use a Gorilla cart to haul milk crates for sitting on, pails, shovels and other small items. It will take you a while to get a smooth operation going. Good luck!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic tote is good but you want things to dry out well between outings to avoid stink so don't seal it up. Also once used, you have to assume your gear has gold in it (since it DOES!) so a tote helps catch gold that falls off your gear. I do carry my field pan and classifier in a backpack...which I occasionally shake out into a pan :)

If you are hauling a lot of stuff to the creek, some folks use a wheeled cart of some sort.

That reminds me, I need to vacuum all the sand out of my car again! Last time rewarded me with 2 specks.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That reminds me, I need to vacuum all the sand out of my car again! Last time rewarded me with 2 specks.

...and a clean car ...there's that too I guess ;)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your problem has only just begun (read, my wife is not happy!).....As you get more into prospecting you will accumulate more than pans and sieves, etc. I started with a single steel gold pan, entrenchment shovel, geologist pick and a 5 gallon jerry can to carry water, cross country, to my digging/panning spot. I stored them in the trunk of my new at the time '67 Mustang. I currently have three sluices of different design along with various picks and shovels, panning tubs and three backpacks of different size that I use depending on the volume of stuff I need to take with me in the field. This is in addition to six or so pans, three different sets of classifiers and a few other un-named items. Tote for the smaller items and others stacked against the wall in our garage or in a small gardening storage bin outside. I haven't ventured into miller tables or clean up sluices or the like but many have them so..... The bed of my pickup is usually full of most of that stuff when I take my annual, long, solo prospecting trip through California to Oregon because I may need most or all of them. I actually discovered there is running water to be found there, yahoo!

Good luck and welcome to world of prospecting/gear accumulation.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread