Bad pans & good pans .

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having used many types of pans for many years I now support the Kress hypothesis . :icon_thumleft:
Some years back i posted the following :--

GOLD PAN and the Kress hypothesis
The importance of the angle of slope of the circular wall is implicit in all US patents for gold pans, but only in the 1950s did any inventor properly examine the effect of the slope on panning performance. It was Bruce Kress who first developed a hypothesis for wall slope in 1957 in US patent #2,797,809. The Kress hypothesis might be reworded as:
The angle of inward slope of the circular wall of a gold pan should be in the range of 18 to 26 degrees; less than this and the contents of the pan are likely to remain inert, more than this and the contents of the pan are prone to collapse regardless of the size of the particles or their density.

If the Kress hypothesis is correct, then the majority of North American pans have outer walls that are much too steep for ease of efficient use. Yet thousands of recreational miners, prospectors and geologists continue to use steep-sided pans. Possibly the Kress hypothesis is erroneous; more likely the hypothesis is correct but compromised by the overriding desire of the panner to have a central flat area of maximum size to contain the maximum ore and water during the initial wetting, disaggregating and sorting. Only in the later stages of panning does the Kress hypothesis become critical, after the volume of solids and water in the pan have become greatly reduced. Tests and detailed observations are required. In the 50 years since the Kress hypothesis was propounded; more than 10 North American gold pans have been patented but all ignore it.

Please consider when buying your next pan !

jack

Upvote 0

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I forgot to explain a very important detail: we have very small signs, like visible dust. When we discussed the second stage of cleaning the concentrate, we realized that we have dust. On the short wall we had a flush, a sign-off. We made a large area and microriffles. This is reminiscent of an immaculate sluice with grooved rubber. But at first the walls had to make an empty field. Now it's possible to see everything and at the same time do a very responsible job. If the small gold goes too far to the edge, then you can have time to stop it. This is often very important for exploration. Now a beginner and a professional can do it even tired, there is a control and confidence it can be better seen and controlled, which can not be a short wall. There are many drawings and drawings with a red line (corrections) in pencil, it can be said for a long time, but this is a brief overview of a long story. Then it turned out so. ?????? 004.jpg To be continued

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Angles, blueprints, schematics... I'm lost! Got a black, plastic pan as an impulse buy at Cabela's with an "Estwing" sticker on the bottom. I know I gotta "season" it though with liquid soap and a brillo or something. Has some ridges like the one above. Gonna have fun too!

Treat that estwing gently. They are made of plastic that is too thin and prone to cracking. :(

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treat that estwing gently. They are made of plastic that is too thin and prone to cracking. :(

You said the right fact to which few people pay attention to, thank you, this is very true, and I'll tell about it here later.

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we decided to make a test prototype for testing, my familiar plant director for plastic products. I had a long conversation, like what to do. there were many meetings and questions. It's very interesting that I used to think that the skin on the wall of the pan depends on the type of plastic, it turned out wrong, it makes a press-form. I brought a few gold canisters of 14 inches of famous brands and asked to comment. The chief engineer took them for analysis and after a while told me that all the pots were made from primary raw materials, putting the pots on the scales, he showed their different weights, thin 250 grams on the other just over 300 grams, but the most interesting in my favorite tray was an additive in plastic, maybe this is one of the reasons I liked him, and I worked with him for 3 years, and he is alive. Sorry, I do not want to write a company name, you can conclude. I was offered two ways to do it. The first light weight, but thin and without additives is not expensive and more than 300grams, with the addition of strength (the engineer joked - you can play football :santasmile:). we tried with the additive and without the extra product, it can not feel the difference quickly year is not close for comparison, but after long trials we saw the difference, so we decided to need a quality product. IMG_4538[1].JPG IMG_4536[1].JPG IMG_4531[1].JPG

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deepsees...your posts are somewhat difficult to understand, and I'm
guessing you are using an on-line translator. May I ask where you are located?

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, my english is not very good. You can watch my channel on YouTube deepsees, which will tell a little about us. We are the same as many people here.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK...I see. You design, fabricate and sell mining equipment.

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were united by a hobby of searching with a metal detector, it gradually turned into the creation of gold mining equipment, and this is also considered a hobby. Each of us has another job and business. Our land is rich in minerals and beautiful stones. This is excellent when there is a good hobby.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picking a pan is like picking a partner. We all swear by our choice.... or swear at it. ╦╦Ç

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is for many a true friend. The more options, the better you can find a partner, but without fanaticism this is just a product. Some people call the car by name as a pet and talk to it. I have three favorite golden pans, but I'm not sentimental. This is a contradiction, now I have the best golden saucepan for me, but I can not get rid of old favorite gold pans. I do not know why it is so.

Last edited:

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the standard gold pans made and sold by Rolf Guldstrom in Sweden.
perfect for me, light durable, always too much very fine gold I can never pick out, biggest flakes I found so far are around 5mm so no big stuff but...maybe it just isn't here in Scotland :)

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Translating Russian into English successfully requires not only translation accuracy but also an understanding that not all usage is strictly literal. Both languages utilize meanings that are not directly translatable without an understanding of the nuances of usage.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
The former poster speaks of a 300 gram plastic gold pan. Most 14” pans are 300 to 350 grams. The Garrett Super Sluce 15” is about 570 grams and, as we know, is one heavy duty and very tough pan. Most of the plastics used for gold pans become quite brittle when very cold and this is when breakage often occurs. One of the toughest of the lighter pans is the 14” Klondike Special made by Rolf Guldström in Sweden. I don’t know the formulation but it apparently does not require mold release to break away from the mold and, consequently, does not need to be conditioned before use.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keene SP14 super pan. Appears out of stock ( https://www.amazon.com/Keene-K-SP14-Super-Gold-Pan/dp/B000RNFDXO) and probably for a reason. Tough and simple. No bells and whistles. Green allows you see the black sands unlike a black pan. I do use two different sizes of simple steel pans for a final clean up. I use a "magswitch" ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FWERR...t=&hvlocphy=1024512&hvtargid=pla-384870709815) attached to the bottom/middle of the metal pans to collect and remove most of the black (magnetic) sands. Super powerful magnet that catches the mags. and allows you to snuff up the gold and not the mags. Often it's better to heat/burn the moisture out over a flame which only a metal pan will allow you to do as the final step. Then it's just a matter of using a straw and gently blowing away the crud......clean gold.

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color of the gold pan already has classical standards, but there are some features, such as the beauty of the color of the product or a tribute to fashion or personal preferences of color. I want to share my understanding of the color of the golden tray, of course, this is an excellent contrast, but often it is limited to blue and green, of course, these are the right colors, but I worked on the pallet with cherry and was very pleased with Contrast! I tried to work on a light green (salad) color, it's beautiful, but when there was little sun, and it was raining, I could not see the little yellow signs, the bright color of the golden saucepan was stopping me. Now I will tell you the statistics of purchases of a colored saucepan: blue -25% dark-green 20%, light green 35%, black -15%, cherry -5%.
My test showed Cherry, blue, dark green, it's the best for my eye, but people bought light green and I think the decisive factor is beauty, they did not buy cherries, but it's no worse than blue, maybe it's a tribute to fashion and advertising of famous classical colors.
IMG_4245.JPG

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to find a red colored pan for when I'm panning in my clamper gear.

PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Assuming everybody knows the essentials to panning, I think all pans will work (gravity works reguardless). As long as you take the time to become comfortable with that new shape and size pan, I believe one can be just as effective with it like with any other pan. One may argue that a round pan holds more dirt which may be true however with a new shape/size of pan may require a new type of technique that could be more effective given that the proper time was put in to learn. In my opinion the one thing that I consider a pan being 'bad' would be one that breaks easy :(.

Last edited:

deepsees

Greenie
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to find a red colored pan for when I'm panning in my clamper gear.

Maybe we can negotiate and I can send you a Gold pan.
I have a request to pay 2 pans, this will reduce the cost of mail. You are very far away from me, expedited mail delivery time 19-21 days. And the second request, comment or write a review of your opinion, after how to use this product, you can openly or to me personally.
*The cost for the US will be $ 38 including mail services for 2 Gold pan (Cherry and Blue). Perhaps 1piece of Cherry color, but the price with the mail will be $ 29. Please consider this is not a commercial sale, but a mutual friendly transaction. We must agree on the terms of payment privately.
IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4878.JPG

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW didn't know pans were rocket science! I can sum this up reeeaaall quick! Bad pan, no gold Good pan got gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread