Any Georgia panners?

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I am driving my snow bird Mom's car home from Florida this coming week lol and will be taking a detour thru Northern Georgia in the hopes of panning for my first time..I am thinking of spending a day or two in the area of Dahlonega. Does anyone know of certain areas that I can legally pan? thanks for any and all help, Steve

Upvote 0

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Butch from Pa here. Did you know, Georgia has some of the purist gold in the world. I can give you a little input. I belonged to LDMA and spent a little time at the Loud Mine near Cleveland not far from Dahlonega. There is a club there abouts I believe that it is called The Weekenders, If you really want to get into it. There is a place called Gold n Gem, just on the outskirts of Cleveland, that is an active mine, where I believe you can pan, but the creek there runs pretty deep and fast this time of year. You know, I think you can purchase material there to pan, and I'm sure they'll help you. The guy who invented the gold hog spends a lot of time there too. Maybe you'll run into him. Over at Dahlonega, there is the Crisson Mine, That also are an active mine. They have quite a supply of mining equipment for purchase. Both of these mines sell material that you can bring home to pan. While in in Dahlonega, right beside the Walmart, there is the Consolidated Mine that gives tours thru there mine. Around that area, there are a lot of waterfalls, (worth seeing if you have the time). One of those streams that feed the falls, I know they permit panning in the stream, but I saw so many, I don't recall which one it was. (This time of year, be careful, as they do have poisionus snakes). I know it was towards Helen. If you have time, you must go see Helen, especially if you want liquor. It's a different county and the other counties are dry. There liquor stores, are called package stores, Helen is very picturesque with a Bavarian theme thruout the whole town. The Chattahochee River runs thru it. Just thought I'd put that in there.

Well, hope I helped a little and may the bottom of your pan always have yellow,

Butch

OP
OP
F

Fishbonze

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your response Butch, I had planned on going to at least Crisson mine, but was not really too interested in doing the "tourist panning" I have all the basic tools I need to pan so I was hoping to find areas I could go on my own..it looks like its going to be pouring rain on Thursday :( so I'm sure I will get some paydirt to take home, and the rain may very well lead me to Helen for some beer! lol Best, Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread