Mercury Problem

jmy74

Oct 25, 2013
So sorry if this has been covered but i couldnt find what i was looking for. We got into a new hole with decent gold and as we put it through the clean up sluice we could see the gold piling up as it should. We would then put the cons into a pan and poof the gold was gone. But what we did find was mercury sloshing around in the pan. I am thinking that the mercury is swallowing up all of our gold. So my question is how the hell do i safely recover all of my gold from this devil called mercury? If i use a respirator made for mercury vapor in a well ventilated area is it safe to burn off the mercury with a torch? thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a retort or if you live near me you can borrow mine. Any other way is not friendly to the environment or to you and we all know how important that is to some. A retort allows you to reclaim not only the gold but the mercury in a safe manner.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...then you can reuse the merc too [emoji106][emoji106]

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In general I'd say just put it in a separate vial so it does not contaminate your other gold finds. Any time you find mercury gold just toss it into there (and always keep coated w/ a layer of water so no vapors will collect). When you get enough to make it worth the effort either find somebody with a retort or see if anyone in your local prospecting club is comfortable using nitric acid.

If you're comfortable with chemistry it's possible to use nitric acid which dissolves mercury but not gold. The intermediate byproduct (mercuric nitrate) is very dangerous so I do not recommend you go this route. If you find somebody that knows what they are doing it possible to recover both the mercury (for reuse) + gold safely however.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric acid works, retort works (as mentioned) You can also use a chamois cloth and ring the mercury through it to give you a button of amalgam. Another method I read was to pack a syringe with cotton or other fine cloth and use the plunger to push the mercury out of the amalgam. You can just burn it off and stay up wind and hold your breath, I did that many years ago and I have always regretted having lost that mercury as it is a valuable commodity when used correctly. I agree that a retort process in one form or another is the best method of recovery and separation.

Here is a video you might find interesting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
When you burn off the mercury ,the vapors will condense and drop back to the ground and contaminate the land ! IF your not at ease with using the retort , get someone to do it for you safely!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I read someplace that the old timers used the chamois bag Rangor mentions. Once they squeezed most of the mercury out the gold, they would roll the mercury in their next pan, put the gold and mercury in the chamois bag, and squeeze the mercury out to reuse. Don't need a retort until you can't squeeze anymore mercury out of gold containing chamois bag.

Never used the stuff myself.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
campfire and potato

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jmy74

jmy74

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for all the help. I think I will just keep collecting it all for now and when I get enough I will find a retort or someone that has one and go that route.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread