Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to gold panning and I've been playing at it in some of the streams in Orange and Durham Counties in NC as well as near my hometown in Cumberland and Moore Counties. I've found a few "bright spots" in my pan but certainly not enough to retire on. Still, one glimmer of gold in your pan and the addiction has begun.

I've been researching a spot on a small river in Moore County that looks like it has fairly good potential due to the eddies and currents around some old structures as well as an abundance of black sand. I had a trip planned for that spot on Friday (9/21) but hurricane Florence has caused the river to rise 25 feet above its normal level.

My question is this: does the fact of a flood increase the deposition of gold (and other heavy things) in the places where gold may naturally be found? My other thought is that the sheer volume and velocity of water may displace some of the materials that were in place before the flood.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. Papa needs to find some gold. I've got habits to support (new detectors, magnets, sluices, guns, etc.)!

Upvote 0

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have answers for you but I was thinking about the same thing last night. I have couple schools of thought on this. First it seems like more gold would move from where ever it comes from. The question is where would it settle out. I think when the flood waters became less turbulent,the gold would fall out. The question is how much turbulence is to much and where does that take place?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes, if there was gold, there will be more after substantial flooding

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A flood can also bring in a foot or two of annoying silt and cover up a lot of good material . It just all depends

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not to mention toxic chemicals

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That flood was big here, washed out my bridge and put a big gully in my driveway. Got my bridge passable today and have the bruises and cuts to show for it. Hauled rocks and pulled tree branches out of my culverts, tired tonight - that was a whole lot of work.

I'll address my driveway tomorrow. Sometimes having a kilometer long driveway isn't as cool as it normally is.

But, lingering here in my mind ALL day long..... Gotta hit those waterways again panning & sluicing. It's been 3 years since my last effort = not a single shiny little glimpse. This was a mighty big storm we had and the streams were raging! Me thinks I'll have to try another go at it :)

Congrats on your specs!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From What I heard Storm Drains may be good spots to Scrape Between the Pieces.
If you can Get access to Large Storm Drains & Like places.
it may be worthwhile to scrape between them & take a Bucket or 3 home to inspect.

Careful Though For Deadly Cows !
I hear they Bite !

images.jpg

Maybe even Scrape Between Side walk Slaps, Where the water Ran Fast

index.jpg

& Drain Covers

Storm-drain.jpg

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
source and grade of the land will have a major affect.

flat land flooding is different than what causes the " flood gold" you can find in the main gold producing states.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
source and grade of the land will have a major affect.

flat land flooding is different than what causes the " flood gold" you can find in the main gold producing states.

I agree. Steep(ish), narrow feeder creeks bordered by fairly steep sides may be worth prospecting for new concentrations. Those and the deposits at the juncture of them and the main drainage.

Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldwasher and Arizau ...

Thanks for the info. The river I have been researching is in an area of North Carolina known as the Sandhills. The terrain is rolling hills with some reasonably good elevation changes (30 feet or so) for the general area which is coastal plains flat. The river variously travels through fairly flat areas into areas with banks 10 - 12 feet tall, and a few taller.

The particular area of interest is near an abandoned and demolished factory with plenty of obstructions in the water flow. As soon as the water recedes to normal flow, I'll head that way and look downstream of the obstructions. Maybe there will be some placer hiding there. Historically, there has been some gold mined in the area but that has been many, many years.

I'm not looking to make any money; just looking to have a good time finding some gold and spending time with the family doing it. My grand daughters would absolutely lose their minds if they found any gold!

I'm talking like I know what I'm doing but, in reality, I'm just a blind goat looking for an acorn. Any help or instructions you can offer will be well and genuinely appreciated.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any place the grade flattens should produce some gold, assuming there is gold to be found. Water slows when it hits level ground. From there, check inside of bends, and behind large obstructions.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have some nice flowing creeks right now. Get a fluid bed and start shoveling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread