An Unusual Find!!

Slytlytilted

Jun 19, 2007
Hi I'm slytlytilted, A few years ago about 1999 when i was tired of being couped up all winter. I broke out my Classic SL an went a couple of blocks away from my house to do some coin shooting. As I was out an about, I always try to keep my eyes open for prospective metal detecting sites. I noticed that the Old Park Home In Williamsport was up for sale. Well i copied down the realtors name an when i got home looked up the address,an the next day i paid the person a visit. I took along some coins an rings from a few other digs i'd been on,an explained what i wanted to do an that i would treat the property as if it were my own an even offered to split 50/50 anything i found.
So I got permission,an it is so much more fun when you have permission! I took my time knowing that the Park Home had been around since at least 1874 if not earlier.Yup i was gonna reap in all those coins from over a hundred years,i could hardly contain myself. Anyways,i'd been at it for about 3 hours with nothing to show 'cept for a few recent pennies an lots of pull tabs.Then all of sudden I hear through my head phones a siren so loud an close that i almost jumped out of my shoes!! I looked up an there were 2 policemen on bicycles heading in my direction with a cruiser not to far away coming also.Well i knew i had permission an had'nt done anything wrong,but my mouth went dry an I started shaking(police have that effect on me) as i waited for them to approach. They asked for I.D which i gave an told them that i had permission to hunt there an who to talk to when i gave them the number. I then asked them why they had stopped me an they told me that someone had seen a suspicious looking character prowling around the Old Park Home! I gave a nervous kinda laugh an waited ,they soon got the story from the realtor an started to leave.When one of the cops said," so, have you found anything yet?" An I said "only a couple of policemen on bicycles and a cruiser!" An that was about all i found there that day!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
How deep were the police on bikes and the cruiser. Bet your detector was just screaming,heh? :D :D :D Good story , Welcome to Tnet.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Welcome to TNet, Sly.

Funny story.

Yeah, I'd have paniced too. ;D

Glad it all turned out well. Did you ever go back and find anything?

OP
OP
S

Slytlytilted

Jun 19, 2007
Yes actually i did go back after meeting Carol Schick,Both she and I detected the property.She writes for Western & Eastern Treasures,she was using a whites xlt an i think she found quite a few coins though i dont recall if they were very old, i did find an indian head nickel though the date was unreadable. An ammendment to the story is it happened in 1998 Cause Carol autographed her story in the April Issue Volume 32 of 1998 for me. So I got 2 treaures that day an old nickel and an autographed magazine!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread