Thanks Dad!!!!

Slytlytilted

Jun 19, 2007
Hi,I am slytlytilted,I am new to treasure net but not to treasure hunting.I got started way back in 69 as a digger for my dad in his treasure hunting days. I think my dad got the bug when he was stationed overseas in England. I was with him the day it happened I was probably about 6 yrs old.We used to go out on the weekends to different locations for a family day.This one particular weekend we went to a beach where the tide would go out for about a mile an you could walk hundreds of yards from the main beach.My dad was into sea fishing at that time an i remember him telling us about these hairy worms that they used to fish with.An so dad told us what to look for swirled up sand circles you dig down an catch the worm they were fast so you had to be quick.Anyways we found one an dad was digging fast an up pops a wedding ring!! I think that was when the bug hit my dad about 1962.It would'nt be until 1969 when dad bought his first an only detector, a Whites Coinmaster,i still have it, it doesnt work anymore but i still got it.We used to go out at first during the day time,but back then people would come along an gather around you asking a bunch of questions.An that kinda annoyed my dad so we started hunting at night. Me an dad friday night 9pm "c'mon paul" he'd say "grab the flashlight screwdriver an trowel",an off we'd go. One night in particular i'll never forget,we lived on Dover Air Force Base. It was late an we'd been detecting for about an hour or so,an an Air Policeman showed up. I remember thinking uhoh were gonna get in trouble.An this guy shines his big bright light on us an says "what are you looking for? worms??" An dad says yeh were going fishing tomorrow.So the cop leaves ,an me an dad have one of our best laughs ever!!Dads been gone for about 16 yrs now an all i have are memories but that is how my dad an I got started in metal detecting. I've been detecting since 1976 an i still use a Whites, I aint never struck it rich but i have rich memories,Thanks Dad!!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That is a precious memory indeed! Thanks for sharing Sly and welcome to T-net too! Very much looking forward to seeing some of your finds and hearing more stories too! Welcome!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Love the story!
Welcome to Treasure Net, the best board on treasure and metal detecting anywhere!
There are some fantastic people here---some for fantastic finds, others for fantastic lies. (My group) Oh! I forgot--there are some here with FANTASTIC looks, too.

You've started out well by bringing a smile to everyone's face. Thanks.

grizzly bare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread