dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loveeee the trx. Have the option of 2AA, or a 9v, make sure you run it with the 9v.

OK you got my curiosity in overdrive. Why make sure your using 9v? I've been using aa, and really like only buying aa for my detector and pinpointer. Am I missing out on something?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK you got my curiosity in overdrive. Why make sure your using 9v? I've been using aa, and really like only buying aa for my detector and pinpointer. Am I missing out on something?

I have just found better consistent results with 9v. Someone on YouTube tested the difference, and I do not know the specifics of why, but it preformed better with the 9v.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used them both now, I feel the TRX is definitely a better pinpointer in terms of accurately locating targets.

I will be using the Garrett from now on tho simply because it doesn't false and turn on randomly all the time.

I have not tried the 9v in the TRX... maybe that would solve all the issues I've been having :dontknow:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Garrett "carrot" OR White's TRX ?

My TRX works much better on 9v. I hoped the AA batt option would let me use all AA batteries. Not the case here.

The detect tones lag with AA. I sense pointer is off a step unless on 9 volts. Jm2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Excalibur II with 15" NEL coil
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found the carrot much more sensitive to gold than the vibratector.

Good pointer

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the carrot much more sensitive to gold than the vibratector.

Good pointer

Isn't the carrot also a "vibratector"? ^_^ You can set it to have either beep or vibrate (or both), btw.
I have my TRX beep only with nobody around, and vibrate only around people. Still working fine, and still on the AAs it came with. I'll try a 9v one of these days, just to see if I can tell a difference...

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
It vibrates hmmmmmmmm (the carrot)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the carrot also a "vibratector"? ^_^ You can set it to have either beep or vibrate (or both), btw.
I have my TRX beep only with nobody around, and vibrate only around people. Still working fine, and still on the AAs it came with. I'll try a 9v one of these days, just to see if I can tell a difference...

I can't tell any difference.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think the big difference carrot is a metal detector the whites is a pinpointer
as its hard to pinpoint with carrot

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Think the big difference carrot is a metal detector the whites is a pin- pointer as its hard to pinpoint with carrot

Hi all !

Two questions:

#1..Has anyone else found it hard to pin-point with the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (The Carrot),
like victhedog reports in his above post ?

#2..Since the TRX detects at the tip only (and not all along the shaft), have you found
that this tends to fool you on the exact target depth ? This problem was reported by someone else in another forum.

Thanks for your comments.

ToddB64

Last edited:

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not had any problem with handhelds. I prefer that they do detect off too the side then I tilt around and zero in on target as dirt is removed. I have a much harder time pinpointing with my X-1 probe than my Garrett pinpointer, but the X-1 has multiple tones and discrimination.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the Carrot for about 2 weeks now and I couldn't be happier about switching over from the TRX.

Zero issues with false signals. Doesn't turn on/off randomly. Easier locating items that are in the plug when sensitivity is turned up.

I also take back my comment on White's amazing warranty & customer service. I can't comment on Garrett's but that's probably a good thing :)

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the best answer is get a couple of each... My TRX is still behaving, but I may get a Carrot just for grins. I just don't like my cen-tech, but for under $20, I shouldn't complain. ^_^

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I haven't been impressed with my $18 Harbor Freight pinpointer and want to step up to a real one...

Which will it be; TRX or the "carrot"? Anyone compared the two?

I have a friend who use a Harbor Freight pinpointer and he just loves it. I will purchase one soon.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend who use a Harbor Freight pinpointer and he just loves it. I will purchase one soon.

They do work. Try a better one though, and using the cen-tech afteward will make you feel like you have a two-inch pecker. No offense to folks with two inch peckers. ^_^

Cen-tech has nowhere near the range of the TRX, and unless you add one, it has no vibrate. TRX is more heavy duty (much), it's waterproof, and it takes either/or 9v/AA batteries. I keep the cen-tech as a spare when someone goes detecting with me. Don't enjoy using it, though. ^_^

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They do work. Try a better one though, and using the cen-tech afteward will make you feel like you have a two-inch pecker. No offense to folks with two inch peckers. ^_^

Cen-tech has nowhere near the range of the TRX, and unless you add one, it has no vibrate. TRX is more heavy duty (much), it's waterproof, and it takes either/or 9v/AA batteries. I keep the cen-tech as a spare when someone goes detecting with me. Don't enjoy using it, though. ^_^

pinenut,

I agree with you on the Cen-tech, e.g. not impressed ! Requires re-setting the sensitivity control often, due to changes in ground mineralization level I suppose, but for the $17.00 + tax I paid some years ago, it's good enough as a "back up" or loaner unit.

Later on, I bought a larger control knob with a set-screw and fastened it onto the little standard knob, to make it easier to refine the sensitivity setting. You will see this little trick used for volume and station control knobs on some audio equipment, where more setting accuracy is desired.

ToddB64

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread