All Treasure Hunting

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't really matter what you buy, if you are doing it for the silver value.

Where are you going to buy from? Are you buying $50 face value, or $50 worth of silver value?

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where are you going to buy from? Are you buying $50 face value, or $50 worth of silver value?

Thats good question, No clue, but I know that buying on weight alone may not be the best of ideas, and was thinking just 50 worth of silver.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me hes looking to spend about 50 a month roughly 2 ounces of silver....and you would be better off buying silver bars compared to coins because they hold a higher premium ...you can look localy but im sure theres dozens of adds on your local craigslist for buying silver ....theres many online places to buy silver but your going to pay for it

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have bars, guess I will stick with them. But thought it may be worth having some coin around. Will keep my eyes open.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well bill hilly. If its 90% you want ,hunt it down. I have stopped at a coin shop,same one lostsa times maybe. He buys 90% from people. Sometimes he sells it.
He.s looking to gain some and will pay me less than I pay him to be sure,but when silver sells for more than he paid its sell usually. Silver gets cheaper than its been running he may not be selling what he is holding. I see a benefit to some coins in my mind should paper fail, which how could it. But then I like them old coins anyway. Buying steady beats worrying about price going up from where you buy it at or down after as much?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have a few people I could go to, and more than likely get coins, but it is always at what cost. The love of just old coins is a big reason. Not so worried about inflation or the paper money dropping out. Just like the sound of it, fun to see the old coins.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Need to ask em up front where their at with a premium and compare to other sources. Buying 90% online we are still looking at premiums depending on not just value of what silver was made into but individual denomination and age. Nothing wrong with bars as long as buyer values them over coin. When local coin shop is willing to be competitive then it may be game on. weskybanded has a valid point when your in the door buying fifty bucks worth. The reality of face value vs dollar value on modern cold hard cash vs pre 65.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When it comes to 90%, that's not entirely true. I've seen $ilver approach $50 twice in my 50 years, and when you see dealers weighing mercs and Washingtons at that price, makes you think twice about what is best to buy. That's why I believe 90% Kennedy halves are the best buy, least amount of wear for silver, if you can get them closest to spot without premium.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to 90%, that's not entirely true. I've seen $ilver approach $50 twice in my 50 years, and when you see dealers weighing mercs and Washingtons at that price, makes you think twice about what is best to buy. That's why I believe 90% Kennedy halves are the best buy, least amount of wear for silver, if you can get them closest to spot without premium.

Yeah, I have some rolls of silver quarters sorted by decade. The 50 coin rolls of 196x quarters is longer by 4 full coins as compared to the 50 coin rolls of 194x quarters. See a similar thing with Walkers compared to Kennedy's.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I see your point, for sure!

The big reason for me in having some of the smaller denominations is mostly just to set back for SHTF scenarios. The smaller coins will be easier to make change with than the big ones.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the runup was going strong people were selling there old coins all over the place, I could walk into many stores and buy them no problem. Most of these dealers have experienced smaller profits because of the price drop and are a bit worried about selling them now,, I know of a few shops that send everyone they get to the smelters now.( I don't think the get melted,, but the smelter is acting as a clearing house for these coins?) And some of the other shops put a large premium on the ones they do sell. Good luck to you!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I see your point, for sure! The big reason for me in having some of the smaller denominations is mostly just to set back for SHTF scenarios. The smaller coins will be easier to make change with than the big ones.
I fully agree with you there Westky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread