Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice gold finds!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$750K??? Ouch!

earth roamer.jpeg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok...a lot MORE than my house!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin, yes, your "dually" rig will perform better with weight in the rear. I find this is so with my diesel as well. That heavy engine out front is big concern in wintertime. The other big consideration should be good tires. I would look seriously at Michelin.

I really do like having a larger rig overall. My truck is a universal tool. Hunting/camping, prospecting, wood hauling, all manner of heavy duty use.

Keep us posted with your choice.
Mike

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just from previous experience, you're both right. In AK with 8" of snow on the streets, I once took an unloaded dually step van out for a test drive after I tuned it up. Soon as I got on the road, the van slipped off to the side and bounced off the curb most of the time till I got around the block. Never did that again.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, yes, your "dually" rig will perform better with weight in the rear. I find this is so with my diesel as well. That heavy engine out front is big concern in wintertime. The other big consideration should be good tires. I would look seriously at Michelin.

I really do like having a larger rig overall. My truck is a universal tool. Hunting/camping, prospecting, wood hauling, all manner of heavy duty use.

Keep us posted with your choice.
Mike

Good counsel. Just read your note about liking having a larger rig to my wife (she's been a big advocate of this scheme!) and she agrees with your thinking and adds "there's advantages and disadvantages to any setup, we just have to make it work!". We are headed to the RV show on Wednesday to look at all the latest stuff. I will happily buy a 2-3 year old truck but she wants the camper itself to be new and shiny clean so that's the plan :)

Can't believe my luck that my wife WANTS a big ass pickup and a camper instead of some fancy RV that can't really go anywhere!

So next question:
For those with camper/trailer experience: do I want a Fiberglas roof style or the flat rubber roof? Any other advice on brands, features, reliability, etc?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, I live in an Travel Trailer in an RV park and from April 1- Oct31 and it's a non stop RV show. The campers for the back of pick ups have really improved (and so has the cost-around 60K) BUT the best feature IMHO? Slides buddy, and the more the merrier as inside gets kinda small on continued stormy days.

I have the fiberglass roof, so the very small leaks are harder to find. No real winner there.

Here's a thread you can use. Kinda the TN of RV. Scroll down to Truck Campers.

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

In that Forum, I found a good Pro vs Con on reg and crew cabs for campers. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28127475.cfm

Other than the unknown (how much the truck can handle weight and power wise) any camper type rig should be available to you for enough $$$. Avoid the "lite" models as light = poorly made. At least it did in 2011 when I got my Travel Trailer. There were two 4x5 sections of the floor (main walk way BTW...thats 40 square feet!) that were completely unsupported. You can imagine what eventually happened. And warranties...look for what they DON'T cover and ask yourself why.

Good luck, have fun Wed and keep us posted!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, thanks Jeff...lots more for me to read...looks very helpful, just like here on tnet!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think diesel power for your pickup. Tons of torque to pull your steep mountain grades without slowing down and better overall fuel mileage.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, right another good question. Given the much higher cost of diesel I was wondering. It's now 50% higher cost here in CO!

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Growing up we had the camper that slid into the back of the truck bed.... VERY VERY CRAMPED!!! Everyone was always fumbling over each other and there would be minimal space for the various equipment (re circulation sluices, tubs, water for it, clean up sluice/blue bowl etc) unless you crammed it all in the floor space at the door of the camper then you would have to pull it all out to get inside then where would you put it all securely at night, or unless you pulled a small trailer to house it?

I've had a crew cab long bed truck, better cargo space but 20 point turns into packed parking spaces or on tight single lane roads suck. Diesel has its perks but I prefer gas since the smell of diesel makes me nauseous. As for the dually, I see no use for it unless you are using it daily on a farm and need to haul excessive weight often or are getting a humongous 5th wheel trailer, also uses more fuel. 4x4 always unless you never plan to go off-road but good to have when least expected off road or up steep inclines, will use more fuel too.

Personally, I'd go with a heavy duty, 4x4, crew cab, standard bed, with a toy hauler. You will have an all purpose vehicle and the comfort and more storage space for prospecting equipment in the toy hauler or space for an ATV to get you to a remote spot quickly! ;-)

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today to sample a new spot. Toes went numb and was done in less than an hour but gathered good data. That's what prospecting is right? 0.02 grams in my sample...better than expected!

That's 75 cents Kevin :thumbsup: Better than I've done this year. Some Dec rains re-arranged my diggins.' I've had to fight the water and poke around to find the pay layer again.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, Kevin, did you get out yesterday? It was 60 here in Colorado Springs!! Today it is now about 14. I thought about you while I was teaching Chem200 yesterday at the Academy. If you did not make it, it will be a few days before you can, given the weather coming.

GoldProspectorDave

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin
Remember back in the 50's when you saw someone making a right turn onto another street, how they would drift into the opposite lane in order to make that right hand turn ?
Same thing with these crew cab long bed trucks. I've got an old '76 F250 Super Cab Camper Special w/8' bed...it's a boat. Have to really plan ahead any time I pull into the gas station.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin
Remember back in the 50's when you saw someone making a right turn onto another street, how they would drift into the opposite lane in order to make that right hand turn ?
Same thing with these crew cab long bed trucks. I've got an old '76 F250 Super Cab Camper Special w/8' bed...it's a boat. Have to really plan ahead any time I pull into the gas station.:icon_scratch:

Good point thanks!

At the RV show today, my wife and I fell in love with a really big truck camper so we are reconciled to getting a big ass dually Ford or GM. My choice is Ford as I've mentioned.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, Kevin, did you get out yesterday? It was 60 here in Colorado Springs!! Today it is now about 14. I thought about you while I was teaching Chem200 yesterday at the Academy. If you did not make it, it will be a few days before you can, given the weather coming.

GoldProspectorDave

Hi Dave, it was killin' me that I didn't get out but my daughter wanted my help so my choice was clear...been wrapped around her little finger for years lol! I'm hoping we get decent weather some time next week...fingers crossed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions