OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grabbed 15 gallons of 4 mesh classified dirt from a construction site (new microbrewery coming - yay!) in central Silverthorne where I now live. Ran it thru my Whippet dry washer:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470601220.468900.jpg
And as expected found gold (almost makes me wish I owned land down in town):
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470601250.450645.jpg
This is what escaped the giant dredge that ran thru the whole valley a hundred years ago. I was very happy to see the -100 gold my new dry washer caught and boy was it easy to operate :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup. It's a Whippet. Only 15 pounds including the battery and backpack setup!
www.whippetengineering.com
Expensive but worth it if you want something you can pack in on your own.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job catching the small gold in the drywasher! Pretty impressive!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks but all I did was set it up level and feed it. That was my first time running it too. I checked the tails...no gold. A very, very well designed little machine :) Looking forward to many more hours feeding it!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470749837.402155.jpg
This is the job site where I got the dry washing material. My dirt was just a sample from those piles they set aside as they dug foundation trenches. Some of it they'll use as backfill...I want to know where the rest is going :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1345492
This is the job site where I got the dry washing material. My dirt was just a sample from those piles they set aside as they dug foundation trenches. Some of it they'll use as backfill...I want to know where the rest is going :)

There is nothing like the taste of wild Colorado mountain strawberries. Maybe it is time to convince your wife of the need of some material to build some mounds to grow them on.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is nothing like the taste of wild Colorado mountain strawberries. Maybe it is time to convince your wife of the need of some material to build some mounds to grow them on.:laughing7:

LoL, they grow wild in the field right next to our condo! And living in a condo, it's more like I need to convince the maintenance guy we need some fill material on the property...hmm, that could be a good idea!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to the Country Boy mine last Wednesday with some friends who were visiting. The underground tour is pretty good and my visitors loved it. I thought the gold panning teaching session and the actual gold panning were really lame :( Nice display of old mining gear and a good viewpoint to look at the Wellington Mine across the way too. Did some sampling in French Creek on their property too but our pans came up empty there. In the past, I've found gold upstream but is spots was loaded with washed cobbles and mine dump rock :(

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out sampling on the Blue River today, a few miles north of my home in Silverthorne. Had researched several possible locations. First one was a fail with one speck from samples in 5 different spots. Second was loaded with mosquitoes so I'll come back a different day. Downstream to the third spot...better with some gold and a couple pieces of fishing lead. Not enough gold to be exciting but better. Pic is below as I mixed my sampling from a couple days in one cons container.

In case you are wondering, this is the beginning of a prospecting campaign to find spots near home (since I moved full time to the mountains) where I can dig. This may lead to filing a claim if I find a real hot spot. Time will tell!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, my place is up on Buffalo Mountain, above town, at 9300+ feet. Funny what you can get used to. I don't even notice it when I'm digging now:)

I went out today on the Blue River downstream from town a ways and found some gold. All -50 mesh.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471390857.406719.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471390873.972571.jpg
Pretty spot and open to claiming but I need better gold!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out yesterday while down in Denver area for a dentist appt and a prospecting club meeting. Got good gold at the first spot (which I've hit before: "crayfish creek") and very little at the second. Second spot was lower Big Dry Creek just upstream from the South Platte River. Easy access and I know guys who've found pockets of good gold there. I found a few specks in each sample hole but nothing decent.
Sample site just downstream of Santa Fe St bridge:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471535547.204436.jpg

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The shade looks nice! Just cutting the grass here is taxing. 94 and 95+ days.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Highs in the 70's here at my mountain home. Hi 80's but zero humidity in the city when I was digging.

Gold from crayfish creek was actually pretty disappointing at 0.03 grams. David, I continued upstream from my dig with you. I guess it's time to go downstream! I did get about 100 pieces of lead bird shot, just not much gold. Anyway, here it is:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471586512.278849.jpg
Lack of volume & big stuff tells me I'm at the upper end of the hotspot. The hot spot was producing 10-15x this amount.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the exact % but when you step outside it feels sticky. Call it high!

I understand this!:laughing7: It took me almost 3 years, but I'm starting to get use to it...I wouldn't want to work on a paving or roofing crew here! But I'm getting a little more comfortable with it!:laughing7:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out with a friend to his claim today to stake it. It was a beautiful day and spot as you can see!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471828551.976937.jpg
A view across the claim:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471828571.974112.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread