Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love it. Also feel like we have hijacked the thread. My apologies to the OP. As Shofs can tell you my daypack has seen better days  so I do kinda need a new one...

Let's continue this on my prospectors journal thread ok?

Yeah that thread kinda got off course.
Saw this pack at the Game Stop this morning, just had to post it. It's a nice shape for a pan classifier and a few odds and ends. Plus it's highly unlikely to get mixed up with someone else's prospecting pack 😉
Good for you for "staying in the loop" and being involved in your kids interest. That's how I got into rockhounding and prospecting. My son wanted to do it.

Attachments

• 1468711914364.jpg
    1468711914364.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 1468711928963.jpg
    1468711928963.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool pack, I'll have to look for that the next time I'm near a GameStop!

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meanwhile for some gold pics, check out my latest blog post which is loaded with pics from the permanent mineral collection at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Compared to every other piece of large gold on display at the museum this one has the look of being polished or smoothed out by some water or other natural force. All the other gold has the rough look from being freshly mined. Being Colorado's largest nugget I really wonder how and exactly where... mine or water or otherwise it was found, I wish I could be there to see the exact conditions when it was first discovered.
bigoldgoldnug.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pennsylvania Mountain, in a placer deposit. Near Alma in Park County :)

The spot has produced quite a few nuggets and used to be accessible I'm told. It is no longer.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pennsylvania Mountain, in a placer deposit. Near Alma in Park County :)

The spot has produced quite a few nuggets and used to be accessible I'm told. It is no longer.

Back in the 80's an old retired Army friend told me he had a tire shot out on Pennsylvania Mtn, so it was not very accessible then. I have been up Mosquito Gulch quite a few times in the old days, but not to Pa. Mtn (not wanting tires as targets).

I have a picture of that 1 pound nugget from about 1984. Today is says something like 11.95 oz; back then, just 1 pound. :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As you can see Dave's been around longer than me [emoji106][emoji1]

Meanwhile, here's the 0.09 grams of gold from Red and my sampling session at Dudley's Bar. I'm very impressed with the gold production considering the quick sampling visit and look forward to getting back there with an electric high banker :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468781571.795056.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's Crayfish Creek's results from July 9/10th:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468790282.281037.jpg that's 0.44 grams.

And the lead (and 26 cents) from that dig:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468790330.516891.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally here's the gold from our sampling at Straw Bench and at the dry bar on the South Platte south of Mineral Ave (relevant street name!).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468794160.011328.jpg
The Bazooka Sniper did a great job on that fine South Platte gold :)

Thanks again to shofs for a fun day last Sunday the 10th!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As you can see Dave's been around longer than me [emoji106][emoji1]

Meanwhile, here's the 0.09 grams of gold from Red and my sampling session at Dudley's Bar. I'm very impressed with the gold production considering the quick sampling visit and look forward to getting back there with an electric high banker :)
View attachment 1337587

Nice looking good in all of these pictures. I am going to have to take my Gold Cube up there.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo gold pics! Those are some good sized pieces in crawfish creek! Hopefully I can make it out soon and get some of that gold :blackbeard:

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today with Bottlecap, and his girlfriend, at the Town of Fairplay Prospecting Park. Dug a big hole or two, brought home gold, had a GREAT time!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469421238.926468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469421255.329828.jpg ...she's a pro at the Pro Pan!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469507156.085546.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469421271.647247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469421271.647247.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More cool pics from our day together in FairPlay.
A cute little family from Texas showed up with new pans so we taught them to pan. They did great and the little one was shrieking with joy about the water!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469510443.902767.jpg
Jon going at it!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469510577.258279.jpg
All the cool towns welcome prospectors!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469510627.661151.jpg
And of course the final gold pic:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469552592.980384.jpg
... See more in my latest blog post at www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went sampling at a NFS Campground north of Silverthorne. (15 minutes from my home) Checked for claims first. There are none so I was good to go. Found gold, not a lot but need to go back and dig more spots to see if there's a hot spot :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Soon you'll be able to visit Cripple Creek Colorado and watch the big mine in operation from a new overlook...exciting! Details on my website:
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470285355.247277.jpg

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally here's the gold from our sampling at Straw Bench and at the dry bar on the South Platte south of Mineral Ave (relevant street name!).
View attachment 1337673
The Bazooka Sniper did a great job on that fine South Platte gold :)

Thanks again to shofs for a fun day last Sunday the 10th!

Thanks Kevin! Is there another way down to the river other than walking from the visitor center? Also, is it safe to prospect on the North side of Mineral Ave?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin! Is there another way down to the river other than walking from the visitor center? Also, is it safe to prospect on the North side of Mineral Ave?

Yes, you can also park on the west side of the river just north of C-470 and hike north. However, getting across the river can be tricky depending on water levels...I've only done it in the fall when the water is really low.

As far as prospecting in the northern part of the nature center property, it's unclear. They sometimes teach gold panning which makes me think it's fine. ThEre is an area designated for fishing which you have to stay out of. There are also signs saying "no wading" which is crazy when you look at how many people tube the river every day in summer. So...I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the rules really are but I'll confess that I've done it. Very little gold as compared to the spot I highlight in the blog down south of Mineral.

Last edited:

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, you can also park on the west side of the river just north of C-470 and hike north. However, getting across the river can be tricky depending on water levels...I've only done it in the fall when the water is really low.

As far as prospecting in the northern part of the nature center property, it's unclear. They sometimes teach gold panning which makes me think it's fine. ThEre is an area designated for fishing which you have to stay out of. There are also signs saying "no wading" which is crazy when you look at how many people tube the river every day in summer. So...I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the rules really are but I'll confess that I've done it. Very little gold as compared to the spot I highlight in the blog down south of Mineral.

Cool, thanks for the info Kevin! May try to hit big bend this Saturday morning, only picked up just under 1/2 gram there last time though in 2 hrs :laughing7: Still cool to see!

Last edited:

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just went to your blog, very cool! Maybe see you on the river one day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread