OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this in that small creek you posted about a couple of weeks ago in the thread or the river?

Just extending the same hole in the little creek...that pothole in the clay is about as deep as the creek is wide!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kev has to haul material uphill in the creek to get to his downstream sluice :D

That's actually true! I'm definitely digging below the sluice but it's only a shovel's length away from the hole :)

Here's the gold from Tuesday, 0.42 grams all cleaned up and ready for the party ;)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446736364.906391.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's actually true! I'm definitely digging below the sluice but it's only a shovel's length away from the hole :)

Here's the gold from Tuesday, 0.42 grams all cleaned up and ready for the party ;)
View attachment 1231780

Beautiful gold! And some nice, larger pieces. I think the large piece I got the last time I was out with you came from the top of the clay layer. You just might find some more 3 mm pieces there!

How is the water level doing? You still using the Sniper or did you have to go to a Mini/Super Mini?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3mm pieces show up about once every year or so at best so I'm not holding my breath. The water is up(!) so I was able to use the Prospector...what a joy that tool is!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's nice. More water, larger trap, more throughput and therefore more gold!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again yesterday and today...gotta pounce on good weather this time of year right?!! Here's the gold from yesterday blown up big just for fun. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050011.429678.jpg

The work week is going to get in the way of finishing the cons from today I think...more soon.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I almost forgot...I shot some pics today. First a picture of the dam where I've been working (with the center already removed for reuse on the new dam) and the new one upstream. I am slowly working my way upstream, digging ALL the creekbed material - the new dam is my fourth in sequence at this site. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050446.989227.jpg The second shot is a deer (?) skull I found on my hike into the creek. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050469.321562.jpg Third is the finished new dam with my Prospector in place and lookin' ready to rumble! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050487.626444.jpg

The dirt I dug today was from under the now "old" dam...I'm not leaving that pay dirt behind! The last pic shows the cons from today. Yes that is gold you see peeking out of the black sands...as Lanny would say "sassy gold" :-) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447050503.487029.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And I finally got the gold cleaned up. It was definitely worth digging under my old dam! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447351021.905039.jpg
3/4 gram in about an hour :)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And I finally got the gold cleaned up. It was definitely worth digging under my old dam! View attachment 1234702
3/4 gram in about an hour :)

Nice work for about 45 minutes. That is as good as digging the old Fairplay dam (unprocessed material) in the old days (well, 30 years ago) or about 5 grams in a day. Way to go!!

How was your mixture of large vs small gold? (Usually to divide it out and know about what proportions you get of each). Just wondering how this lot was....

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Kevin! That's a sweet pile o' gold! Hey did you get any snow out your way?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work for about 45 minutes. That is as good as digging the old Fairplay dam (unprocessed material) in the old days (well, 30 years ago) or about 5 grams in a day. Way to go!!

How was your mixture of large vs small gold? (Usually to divide it out and know about what proportions you get of each). Just wondering how this lot was....

The average size was bigger than typical, a lot of 20-50 range gold but some all the way down to -90 too. Only a couple +20 which surprised me although as you know, those bigger flakes pop up in unexpected spots!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out again today. Hiking thru the snow, seeing animal tracks :)

The water level was up quite a bit and the water was opaque with turbidity from all the snow runoff. It sure makes running the Bazooka Prospector easy!

I extended the hole I dug last time under the old dam but only got 0.11g in 10 - 3/4 full buckets. Ok but not great like last time.

I was tired of wrangling buckets so I cleaned out and then just shoveled directly into the sluice from the new area just upstream of the sluice. I got 0.14 grams in just a little while so I guess that's going to pay off :)

Good fun but no pics sorry.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice one Kevin! That's a sweet pile o' gold! Hey did you get any snow out your way?

Yes about 4-6 inches in the city...easily twice that up in ski country :-D

I love snow in the city since it soon melts off and jacks up the flow in my fav little creeks.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you get snowed and froze out like us up here in NH.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you get snowed and froze out like us up here in NH.

No not really. There's a point each winter where I have to break the ice on the creek but the creeks and rivers in town flow all year. Very lucky here!

PS I got out again today and sadly confirmed that I've cleaned out the entire hot spot I've been digging. Time to find another!!

PPS I did still get gold:0.21grams in two hours is OK of course but definitely not honey hole level gold :) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447511608.096802.jpg the dime was in my cons as well ;)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions