Almost died, American River N. Fork

Saber6delta

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2015
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My story of survival,
Kyle and I are both prior United States service members, and know our way around in the wilderness. I have over 14 months combat experience in Iraq and Kyle has conducted multiple ocean drug raids in South America. When we head out to the Mother Lode country, we carry food, water, med kits, weapons, everything you could think for emergency situations. We NEVER saw this coming however.
This past Sunday, "the last day in May," we headed out to the American River (north fork) located at Iowa Hill bridge "Mineral Bar" camp ground.
We planned to float down on Inner-tubes about 1-2 miles, prospect and hike back. We floated down river, and setup shop about 1.5 miles down river from our truck. After 5-6 hours, we decided to deflate the tubes pack up and started walking. It became real obvious that we could not hike out. We decided to float down the river on our backs and just walk around the nasty stuff, until we could reach Yankee Jim's Bridge. We floated up to this large boulder, that blocked 70% of the water flow on the left side of the river, and most water flowed around it to the right. As we were assessing the small water slide around the right side of the boulder, I suddenly starting floating alongside the boulder on my back. Kinda like there was some current that flowed under the boulder. Both of my feet crossed ankle over ankle and became stuck. I yelled to Kyle "I'm stuck" and I was pulled backwards underwater. Kyle grabbed me immediately tried to pull me up so I could get air. He couldn't get my head up outta the water. I knew I was fighting for my life at that point, and I couldn't do anything. I could feel Kyle pulling me and making no difference. I was at the point right before I engulfed water, when he got my head out of the water. I don't remember the details of how my feet became unstuck, I went into shock and he got me to shore. Looking back at the boulder and the water, it didn't look like a killer. At this point my leg was injured, but we made it to Yankee Jims bridge, hitch hiked to the Chevron gas station in Colfax, and i called my girlfriend in San Jose.
Later I learned that this is called a Foot Entrapment, which often result in death. Please be aware of this danger in rivers and use Extreme Caution when your out there Folks.
Thanks for reading my long story.

Fellow Prospector,
Dave J.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. The power of water can be enormous. I've been prospecting about a year and a half and have not ventured into the water yet and this is why. Even just traversing large Boulders on land I have had a couple close calls. So easy to fall and break a leg or even worse your back or hit your head and fall in the water.

Must have been terrifiying. I'm really glad your ok. Any idea what freed you at the last second?

I'm glad this story ended well.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great story, and I'm glad ya made it through OK.

You guys look better when you're vertical...

image.jpg

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you are OK and all, and its something that I don't ever want to go through... Sounds like a root canal on steroids.

But I have to ask...

Did you get any gold???

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos for keeping your composure, panic kills. Kyle had your back, a great friend to have with you. Hope you take him out for a good time soon.:occasion14:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy Crap!

I am happy that you got out of that alive, just reading that gave me chills down my back.

I too have had a close call on a river that almost took my life.

Be careful out there.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you guys made out OK. There is the proof using the buddy system can save your hide!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That "ankle biter" is something I've never heard of nor run into. Just one more little trick ma nature has up her arse-anal Thanks for sharing the tip and thanks for being alive to share it!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you two are alive. This is the second near drowning I have heard of in the last month near Mineral Bar. Please all be careful and safe.

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap guys, what a horrific experience. Happy you both are alright, and as already said the buddy system is all important!!!Be safe.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water flow was about 140 cfs so low but not as low as it can get. No matter low or high water, water can trap anyone and always it is unexpected. Glad you are both OK and wiser for the experience..............63bkpkr

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave, I am also an Iraq/Afghanistan vet and I've prospected the area you describe. The hike in/out from downstream Mineral Bar is a rough one! Thanks for the reminder of taking a buddy when getting wet. Mineral Bar to Yankee Jim's on an inner tube sounds.... crazy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread