Paydirt1850 a few of this summers adventures

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday I went down to the claim to shoot some video on good old fashioned crevicing. I didn't take a detector with me, because the video is going to be on basic crevicing skills. I had to open up a few crevices before I found one with some gold in it. It was actually a lot of fun going back and trying to remembering all the basics that were taught to me by my grandfather, and a lot of other good old miners, who are now long gone. When they were teaching me, there was no such thing as metal detectors, it was all reading the river and hard work. It was after lunch before I found a crevice that gold in it. By this time it was getting very warm. While panning out my last pan I was thinking, it would feel a lot better to be in the creek than next to it. It was about that time that the gold started showing up in my pan, and all a sudden it really wasn't all that hot. I was very pleased to go home with 2.3 pennyweights of gold.
Blog pictures used.jpg

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great take for the day! I love crevising more than anything these days, there's a reason them old timers did so well with just a knife and a pan!

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this isn't to long

Saturday morning at 5:30 AM I was on the road. After four failed attempts I was gonna make it to "the creek" come hell or high water. With the new maps and a GPS, the trip was surprisingly easy. After 2 hours of driving I parked my truck at the end of the road, directly above the creek. I thought to myself that's it - that was easy, little did I know!

I grabbed my pack and started down the hill. I knew I had quite a hike ahead of me. I decided to stay on the ridge as long as I could while heading down. The hill was getting steeper fast, it wasn't long before my hike in was more of a slide in. It was on one of these slides that my foot got caught on a shrub. I started falling forward and without thinking I just pushed off tucked into a ball and rolled, rather than fall my face in the rocks. I'm not sure how many roles I did before the brush stopped me. All I know is I covered 50 feet real fast. My pack ended up on top of my head I wasn't sure where my detector was. And I was stuck headfirst in some very thorny brush.

After backing out of the brush I stood up to assess the damage. I was surprised to find I had a few sticks and thorns stuck in me, but other than that I was fine. I found my detector about 10 feet below me, and it was fine also. I was thinking about calling it a day at that point, but the stubborn side of my brain won out. I was going to that creek or I was gonna die trying

The further I went down the hill the steeper it got . It was getting to the point where I wasn't able to go much further. But now I could hear the creek. I decided to side hill my way upstream and look for a better way to get down. I hadn't gone far, when all of a sudden, they're it was! I was ecstatic after all this time and trouble I'd finally made it.

The bed of the creek was about 30 feet wide, and there were few large boulders here and there. The bedrock look good and solid, the gravel looked a little light in color, but not bad. I took off my pack to get out my GPS and mark a way point. That's when I noticed the GPS wasn't in side pouch. It must have flown out when I was rolling down the hill. That kind of bummed me out, I only had it for three days. I then decided to get out the camera can take some pictures to creek. I had the camera wrapped in a hand towel in the pack, when I turned it on, the screen that shows you what you're taking a picture of ,was all white except for a small spot the size of the stamp. I could now see where the screen was broken. I took a few pictures, but I wasn't sure whether or not the camera was working.

I set up my detector and went to work, there were a lot of nice crevices but after an hour of detecting I did not get a single reading. I got out my pan and cleaned out a couple of the crevices, I found some good gold but all fine stuff. I continue detecting and panning my way downstream, after 3 hours of detecting the only target I got was a large bar about 4 feet long. I found it in a small high bench on the inside of a turn. Best I could tell the creek had good gold but no nuggets. The detector was working fine on my test nugget, if there were any nuggets in the creek I think I would have at least one.

I knew I had a long hard hike out, so I decided to start out a little earlier than I normally would. I broke my detector down and put it in the backpack, I knew I would be needing both hands to get out. The trip back up with pretty much uneventful, and long - very long! There were long sections where it was so steep you had to crawl. After 2 1/2 hours I was back at the truck.

I lost my GPS, broke my camera, was beat-up and bloody, and dog tired. But I still felt good, I had finished my quest. I had accomplish the mission that I had set out to do. After I got home and cleaned up, I cleaned up and weighted the gold, I had found 2.7 dwt.

Will I go back? If I had found 5 ounces of gold, I might think about it. But the small amount of gold I had in my bottle - NO WAY!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. It's sounds like you fell pretty hard. Glad your Ok. And kudos for finishing the "quest". I know what you mean. It's a good feeling. Cool story and great gold!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing the story of your mis/adventure. Glad you found at least some gold! Did you give any thought to trying to find the GPS on the way back up?

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were too many spots that looked like the area, and I was so tired and sore that I only gave it a half hearted look. I have convinced myself that its no big deal because the screen was to small anyway. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather this week in Northern California has been exceptionally hot, so I decided to head up to the creek and do some sniping this weekend. I was going to shoot some underwater video with my son's Gopro, but he couldn't find the waterproof case. I headed up anyway because a day in the cool water looking for gold, sounded like a lot more fun than staying home and doing chores in the heat.
By the time I got to the creek, it was already getting warm. I started working in a small area where I pull out a little over an ounce last year. I spent a hour or so looking around, but discovered I had done a really good job of cleaned the crevices in this area last year. I started working my way upstream, but I was having a hard time finding any crevices because this area is so bolder bound.
After lunch I found a couple of crevices that looked good. I found a small piece of chain in one and a 4 lb. hammer head in the other, but no gold. I located a small crevice that was no more than 1/2' wide but was packed tight with gravel. That one had some gold in it. It was about 6 feet long and packed tight. By the time I finished cleaning it was getting late. I decided to leave everything there and head upstream to scout out a good location for next weekend.
I worked my way upstream about 100 yards and located a small area of open bedrock, among the boulders. There were a couple of crevices running through this area. The water is a little deeper than I like, but the bedrock looks good to me. My plan is to go back with the Gopro next weekend and do some underwater filming for a new "how to snipe" video. We are going to pick up a new waterproof case for it this week. The shadows were across the creek by now, time to pack up and hike out. Hiking up that hill in 100 degree heat dam near killed the old guy, I need a place where I can back the truck up to the water!
After I got home, I cleaned up the gold and I ended up with 2.4 pennyweights. My last several trips out, I've been having a hard time breaking the 3 pennyweight mark. Hopefully, I can resolve that issue next weekend.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The weather this week in Northern California has been exceptionally hot, so I decided to head up to the creek and do some sniping this weekend. I was going to shoot some underwater video with my son's Gopro, but he couldn't find the waterproof case. I headed up anyway because a day in the cool water looking for gold, sounded like a lot more fun than staying home and doing chores in the heat.
By the time I got to the creek, it was already getting warm. I started working in a small area where I pull out a little over an ounce last year. I spent a hour or so looking around, but discovered I had done a really good job of cleaned the crevices in this area last year. I started working my way upstream, but I was having a hard time finding any crevices because this area is so bolder bound.
After lunch I found a couple of crevices that looked good. I found a small piece of chain in one and a 4 lb. hammer head in the other, but no gold. I located a small crevice that was no more than 1/2' wide but was packed tight with gravel. That one had some gold in it. It was about 6 feet long and packed tight. By the time I finished cleaning it was getting late. I decided to leave everything there and head upstream to scout out a good location for next weekend.
I worked my way upstream about 100 yards and located a small area of open bedrock, among the boulders. There were a couple of crevices running through this area. The water is a little deeper than I like, but the bedrock looks good to me. My plan is to go back with the Gopro next weekend and do some underwater filming for a new "how to snipe" video. We are going to pick up a new waterproof case for it this week. The shadows were across the creek by now, time to pack up and hike out. Hiking up that hill in 100 degree heat dam near killed the old guy, I need a place where I can back the truck up to the water!
After I got home, I cleaned up the gold and I ended up with 2.4 pennyweights. My last several trips out, I've been having a hard time breaking the 3 pennyweight mark. Hopefully, I can resolve that issue next weekend.

Well done; and here we are trying to break the 1 gram mark (and at times the 0.1 gram mark). Loved your panning video. Looking forward to the sniping video.

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather here is now just stupid hot! ( 106 today) I was up and out of the house by 5:30. It was 7:00 AM when I left my truck and started the hike down to the river. By the time I reached my base camp where I change into my wet suit, I was dripping wet. I was thinking it's 8:00 AM, and already way too hot! I didn't even want to think about the hike out in the afternoon heat. I decided it was better to think about the gold I was gonna find today.

I got suited up, grabbed the backpack and headed upstream. Today was going to be my first attempt at underwater filming with a Gopro. I am nearly finished with my "basic crevicing" video, and I decided my next video was going to be "how to snip for gold". This would be the perfect opportunity for me to get out of the heat, and get some underwater footage for my new video. And hopefully find some gold.

I worked my way upstream to a good looking area that I located last weekend. After locating a small but good looking crevice, I got out to Gopro and tried to remember how to turn it on. Luckily for me there's not very many buttons on it. After a couple of failed attempts, I was filming. That's when I discovered you can't hold the camera with one hand and work a hammer and bar with the other. I tried my best to get some decent footage, but gave it up and put the camera way. I will get one of those headband mounts and try again next weekend.

I had killed quite a bit of time working with the Gopro, so I only had a couple hours left to find some gold. After working a couple more small crevices I manage to find about a penny weight and a half of gold. It was time to start thinking about the hike out. I decided to leave most my equipment there to lighten the pack. I was far enough back in, I figured if anyone finds my equipment, there not going to want to pack it out any more than I do.

I was kind of surprised when I got back to the truck, it didn't seem like the hike was all that bad. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to the heat or I was just delirious. My plan is to head back up next weekend with both cameras and put a serious dent in the new sniping video. I'm really starting to enjoy doing the videos, I just hope everyone will enjoy watching them.

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why I gold prospect!

(I wrote this in July 2015)

I'm sitting here going over what I need to get ready for my prospecting trip tomorrow. This made me think, why do I do this? It's going to be over 100° tomorrow, why would anyone in their right mind do this? Knowing full well, they will spend the day moving heavy rocks in the hot sun, working until they are dog tired, then putting on a heavy backpack and hike back up a long steep hill, in the hottest part of the day.

Why do I do this? To get rich? Its been over 50 years - still not rich! For me, its because I love the adventure, the hills, and the freedom. But another big reason is, because most people won't do it! I don't want to become them. Life is what you make of it, the best things won't come to you, you have to go get them.

We live in a time where we're not allowed to take any chances. We are told we must wear seat belts, helmets, what we can and cannot eat. We drink a water from bottles, when was the last time you had a drink from a garden hose? Most people would never even entertain the thought of letting their kids ride in the back of a truck. My fondest memories are of the many fishing trips to the hills , riding in the back of the truck.

There are two old saying that I pretty much lived by; what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger and pain is weakness leaving the body. I prospect because it keeps me young, the danger of the back country feeds my pride. It keeps alive that feeling of invincibility I had when I was 20. The hunt for treasure is a thrill most people will never experience, I pity them, they are missing out on such a fantastic part of a life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't leave the gold there, it's a very nice extra! But it's not why I do it.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mi
Why I gold prospect!

I'm sitting here going over what I need to get ready for my prospecting trip tomorrow. This made me think, why do I do this? It's going to be over 100° tomorrow, why would anyone in their right mind do this? Knowing full well, they will spend the day moving heavy rocks in the hot sun, working until they are dog tired, then putting on a heavy backpack and hike back up a long steep hill, in the hottest part of the day.

Why do I do this? To get rich? Its been over 50 years - still not rich! For me, its because I love the adventure, the hills, and the freedom. But another big reason is, because most people won't do it! I don't want to become them. Life is what you make of it, the best things won't come to you, you have to go get them.

We live in a time where we're not allowed to take any chances. We are told we must wear seat belts, helmets, what we can and cannot eat. We drink a water from bottles, when was the last time you had a drink from a garden hose? Most people would never even entertain the thought of letting their kids ride in the back of a truck. My fondest memories are of the many fishing trips to the hills , riding in the back of the truck.

There are two old saying that I pretty much lived by; what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger and pain is weakness leaving the body. I prospect because it keeps me young, the danger of the back country feeds my pride. It keeps alive that feeling of invincibility I had when I was 20. The hunt for treasure is a thrill most people will never experience, I pity them, they are missing out on such a fantastic part of a life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't leave the gold there, it's a very nice extra! But it's not why I do it.

This is awesome. You hit the nail on the head.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Why I gold prospect!

Just found your thread Paydirt and I have to say it's been a good read! Like you, I've been doing this for some time now and your latest post got me thinking about why I do this and what modern miners are like as well.

I think that it takes a special type of person to be a full time prospector/miner.

We're the ones that for the most part don't like having to live by the rules of normal folk.

We thrive on challenge and hate to be cooped up with a passion.

We usually enjoy the solitude and find our true selves while out in nature.

We are true stewards of the lands and waters and usually do more to preserve them than any group of environmentalists out there.

For the most part, those of us that are serious about this are intelligent and well versed in many different fields. To be good at this we have to know a LOT of different things. Geology, Mineralogy, Hydrology are but a few of the "ologies" we learn. Then there are all of the other skills we learn along the way. Map reading, survival skills, mechanical skills and researching new areas are but a few of them.

We also enjoy history, and working with our hands to the point of breaking a good sweat though most of the older one among us have learned to "work smarter, not harder". (Pay attention you young bucks or you won't be doing this as long as you'd like to be!)

We take pride in a job well done and being self sufficient. We're an interesting mix of "old school" and modern at the same time. New and improved isn't always better for us.

We prefer to stand on our own but value our friends and family members, both blood and adopted.

We are problem solvers and can usually find a way to overcome the obstacles in our path.

We enjoy a good mystery and pitting ourselves against Mother Nature in the biggest game of "hide and seek" in the world. What gold she gives up is only a way of keeping score for each round we play.

I'm proud of being a modern prospector/miner and will continue being one until such time as time catches up with me or our passion is regulated to death by the government.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just found your thread Paydirt and I have to say it's been a good read! Like you, I've been doing this for some time now and your latest post got me thinking about why I do this and what modern miners are like as well.

I think that it takes a special type of person to be a full time prospector/miner.

We're the ones that for the most part don't like having to live by the rules of normal folk.

We thrive on challenge and hate to be cooped up with a passion.

We usually enjoy the solitude and find our true selves while out in nature.

We are true stewards of the lands and waters and usually do more to preserve them than any group of environmentalists out there.

For the most part, those of us that are serious about this are intelligent and well versed in many different fields. To be good at this we have to know a LOT of different things. Geology, Mineralogy, Hydrology are but a few of the "ologies" we learn. Then there are all of the other skills we learn along the way. Map reading, survival skills, mechanical skills and researching new areas are but a few of them.

We also enjoy history, and working with our hands to the point of breaking a good sweat though most of the older one among us have learned to "work smarter, not harder". (Pay attention you young bucks or you won't be doing this as long as you'd like to be!)

We take pride in a job well done and being self sufficient. We're an interesting mix of "old school" and modern at the same time. New and improved isn't always better for us.

We prefer to stand on our own but value our friends and family members, both blood and adopted.

We are problem solvers and can usually find a way to overcome the obstacles in our path.

We enjoy a good mystery and pitting ourselves against Mother Nature in the biggest game of "hide and seek" in the world. What gold she gives up is only a way of keeping score for each round we play.

I'm proud of being a modern prospector/miner and will continue being one until such time as time catches up with me or our passion is regulated to death by the government.

Well said! Both of you! I would add fishing skills to the list. Not mandatory but it does help. Big fish hang out where big gold might be.

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two thumbs up on the fishing. Got back a week ago from my annual fishing trip to the coast. I am putting the finishing touches on the videos I recorded while there. 24.9 lb lingcod 9-4-15.jpg

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to locate the source of the gold on my claim for quite a few years now. This Sunday my nephew David and I, made a trip into a very remote area. Last July we scouted out this area from the air. The plan was to see if there was the same type and size of gravel, and the same heavy gold we have further downstream. The majority of the gold from my claim is coming out of an ancient channel, and that channel is what I've been looking for.

The area that we went into has a very steep canyon and there was no place for the helicopter to land on a scouting flight last July. So the plan was to get out on larger rock outcropping high above the river. When we got in their Sunday we discovered the water was very low and they're now was a small gravel bar just large enough to set one skid on while we unloaded. I was very pleased, I wasn't looking forward to climbing down off that rock.

I started detecting right away, after 3 hours of detecting I had found one very small piece of gold and one small piece of lead. David had decided to do some panning, when I check back with him several hours later, he had found a small piece of gold a little larger than mine. We were both surprised by the fact there was virtually no trash in this area. At that point David decided to do some sniping, and I went further down the river detecting.

By the end of the day, and after talking to David, I am convinced the gold is coming in further downstream. I found no gravel there that came out of the ancient channel. And the fact that neither of us found any old trash, leads me to believe the old timers never worked this area. I don't think this area was worth working in the old days.

I don't like coming home with little to no gold but, I do like finding another piece of the puzzle. On my next trip I will be looking downstream, between this point and were I've found heavy gold before. I am slowly narrowing the area down

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread