Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Along the lines of prospecting....I ran some local dirt through a pan! Just a random shovel full out of the side of the yard here and there to play with! I'm getting black sand and some real, real, small red, broken garnet? I want to dig a microscope out and look at it, but of course I haven't gotten that far....

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much going on in the way of prospecting.

We have made a few "trial" trips primitive camping with our 2 year old son. Just to see how it would go.

I did take a pan along and played around for a real short time. Found nothing, it's far from any gold bearing area and I was just playing around. So, haven't found one spec of gold in Winston county AL. yet! And doubt I will, just not known to be there.

As for the camping trips? It went great!!! Our son was happy as could be and it wasn't a problem at all taking him camping. Of course he did 2 year old things like dump our water bucket to play in the mud and fill it with rocks and pebbles he finds. And hard to keep him away from the fire. But after a few loud "no" he stayed back for the most part. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to take him out for days at a time with only minor temper tantrums. haha He seemed happy to be in the woods! So, that's a good thing! He's also checking out and studying every rock he finds. Makes you wonder what he's really thinking.

Hopefully, this summer we will get out and explore more now that he is big enough, healthy, and fairly calm and not hard to watch and handle in the woods. He has his moments but over all does great for being only two. I may eat my words next trip!:laughing7: But so far has been fun! Other than the place being overrun by coyotes. They need thinned out...

I did get the truck stuck leaving, I was trying to straddle some wash outs on our way out and slipped off the top. Going uphill, I gave it a little too much gas and slid right in. I bottomed the truck. I spent hours digging it out with a shovel and getting something back under the wheels and dirt out from under the diffs and frame. Then digging enough behind the truck to fill in what you can and knock the top off to get enough room and clearance to back out for another run at it. That kind of sucked! Especially when it's on your way out and your just ready for a shower. :laughing7: So, I guess that was prospecting for traction and a shower?

I had to laugh, as soon as we slid off and bottomed out, I hear "uhhohhh" from the back seat. "Ya....It's an uhhohh buddy!" :laughing7:

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric & Davers,
Thank you both for sharing your experiences with your families out camping and wanting to be out camping!

I started taking my children with me (one at a time) as they turned four years of age, those trips cemented our relationship for Life! The first couple of trips out with each child (I have three children) was really about them having a good time with me. The son was the last one to be born so the Girls had a head start on him and I had time to learn that the Girls can do anything as well as any guy! This time out with them is so very important as they have a chance to see their Father in an entirely different light in the very best of places, that's away from everyone else sept for just you!

My oldest daughter once did a side cast that amazed me, thrilled me to be there to watch it arc outward from the pole and as the lure curved downward it followed the curvature of that solid rock wall and fell way back in the shadows of the cliff itself "ker plunk" back in Lunker Territory. As she started to retrieve the lure I saw it sparkle twice and then it was gone, her pole jerked downward and she let out a yelp, Fish On! It was a big one, possibly one of the old German Brown Trout that inhabit the river, it ran for a small rapid and snapped her 8 lb. test line like it was flimsy sewing thread. It's times like those where they are having an positive experience of a life time that you want to be with them! The campfire talk that night was full of excitement, just the two of us and the stars! After that experience there was no stopping her fishing desires and I was certain I wanted to share in their experiences out with me all the more. Make the trip all about them, be with them, teach them about being out there and what to do to be comfortable, safe and how to enjoy the out of doors and after awhile you can throw in some prospecting, it is worth the effort! Best of success to ya!.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric & Davers,
Thank you both for sharing your experiences with your families out camping and wanting to be out camping!

I started taking my children with me (one at a time) as they turned four years of age, those trips cemented our relationship for Life! The first couple of trips out with each child (I have three children) was really about them having a good time with me. The son was the last one to be born so the Girls had a head start on him and I had time to learn that the Girls can do anything as well as any guy! This time out with them is so very important as they have a chance to see their Father in an entirely different light in the very best of places, that's away from everyone else sept for just you!

My oldest daughter once did a side cast that amazed me, thrilled me to be there to watch it arc outward from the pole and as the lure curved downward it followed the curvature of that solid rock wall and fell way back in the shadows of the cliff itself "ker plunk" back in Lunker Territory. As she started to retrieve the lure I saw it sparkle twice and then it was gone, her pole jerked downward and she let out a yelp, Fish On! It was a big one, possibly one of the old German Brown Trout that inhabit the river, it ran for a small rapid and snapped her 8 lb. test line like it was flimsy sewing thread. It's times like those where they are having an positive experience of a life time that you want to be with them! The campfire talk that night was full of excitement, just the two of us and the stars! After that experience there was no stopping her fishing desires and I was certain I wanted to share in their experiences out with me all the more. Make the trip all about them, be with them, teach them about being out there and what to do to be comfortable, safe and how to enjoy the out of doors and after awhile you can throw in some prospecting, it is worth the effort! Best of success to ya!.......................63bkpkr

We want to start early for a few reasons. I spend a lot of time online at times, usually while I'm doing other things in the house or garage and jump back and forth to the laptop. But we see so many young kids with their faces and attention buried in their devices. We don't really want to keep him from the "modern" ways. But we want to introduce as many things as we can as soon as we can. That? And it's our escape too.

He isn't short on toys! And it's funny how he is more interested in sticks, leaves,rocks than the plastic toy. Makes you think sometimes...what is all of this other crap for? Just purely entertainment that we pay half our lives to buy!! Change the mind set? And you can get more pleasure out of......The woods! Ok ok, It's too early to try to think deep! :laughing7: I know you get where I'm going with that...

Something as little and minor to most of us. Like sliding a truck in a washout? Is a big deal to others. He will never remember that. But I know so many people that really would not know how to get out of something that simple on their own! There is no AAA your not going to walk miles to find help. You do what you have to with what you have as safely as you can. That is a minor example but the kind of stuff that I want him to learn. Sounds simple and crazy to a lot of people. But makes a different on how you do things when you get older. I was very lucky to have a Dad and Grandfather that were able to do or fix anything with just bubble gum and a matchbook if that's all they had.

That plays into survival. Whether in the woods for fun or just trying to make it to next pay check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some random camping pictures. If I put them here I can send a few people here to see them since I don't use FB or any other sites. We spent all last week in the woods on our land. Trying to clear some brush and clean up a nice camping area. The place is really overgrown. I'm cleaning stuff up with a few hand tools. No equipment or tractor over there .....Yet...

The first one is Nathan playing in the mud. The pic was taken after we stopped him from smashing his face in a mud puddle. haha
View attachment 1462863
View attachment 1462864

He has his movie player. Even though I'm being told that Coyotes won't mess with people. I still have that fear. They are really big over there compared to the little ones I'm use to from Ohio. There are a lot of them too. They aren't real afraid. I had 6 or 7 of them coming up a trail toward me, I stood up, clapped my hands, and yelled when they were about 50 feet away. They just kind of look at you and start walking the other way , not really running from you, just changing direction. So, as soon as dusk hits we put Nathan up in the back of the truck with his movies. He's usually sleeping after about 10 min of dark. Just makes me feel more comfortable for now.
View attachment 1462866

"woods shower" Thrown together at the last minute with some junk I gathered up. It worked good though! I'll be more prepared next time and spend a little more time doing it right. Walking to the creek or lake right now is a pain with Nathan. Way too many ways for him to get hurt right now. Until I can clear and open up a few trails. He loves it when we do go there. He gets right into the water and has a blast. The ticks are horrible too coming back up from the creek. So we had to have a shower. Just a tank 275 gallon tank on my trailer syphon fed down hill to a pipe with a few holes drilled in it. Nothing big. But worked great!!

View attachment 1462865
View attachment 1462867
View attachment 1462868

This was just one of the areas I started picking at and clearing...Nothing much...

20170527_184233.jpeg

Not too many pictures this time. It was a last minute trip and was originally only going to be a couple days....ended up a week! We were having way too much fun out there. We heard a bobcat fighting with something down the hill from us. We were tripping over each other to get into the back of the truck. haha It's funny how fear feeds off of people. Some nights we sit out half the night with no lights or fire. Just listening to the animals and watching the flying squirrels in the moon light. Then there are other nights where we are jumping at every sound. It's funny how that works. Your own mind makes you afraid at times. haha When there is nothing more there this time than there was any other time. haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is for my Dad! :laughing7:

20170605_173321.jpeg

So, it make sense to anyone else......

There are a few different jokes between us going on here. Today in a phone conversation a few things came up.

One is ......"I would use my trailer but someone ran off to some other state with it!" haha....My wife and I built the trailer. It started out as a Message Board, used in road construction. It was Wrecked into while in service and flipped over , it was totaled. So...I rescued it from the scrap pile, torched all the extra stuff off and built a trailer out of it. My wife did all of the welding and we built it to pull behind a jeep I had at the time, planning on using it prospecting or camping. When I moved from Ohio about 3 years ago I gave it to my Dad to use for his mower. He never used it once. So...I stole it back about a month ago when I was in Ohio for a visit.

Another, he was joking with me about making sure my son "wasn't baking in the sun over there on top of the hill".(where we camp)...

Oh, ya....I "borrowed" the camp stove too, when I was in Ohio! He won't know that until he sees the pic....:laughing7:

But...... it works the other way too......All in fun! It's just now? We are states away. so it's harder to "borrow" things from each other.....or get them back!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from another primitive camping trip to our land in N.Central AL., Winston County. We had planned on staying a few weeks but only made it a little over a week.

Mid days were really hot and after a week I could see that it was taking it's toll on our son and packed it up. Even though we had a small pool and plenty of shade for him, I was worried that it was just a little too much. The nights were cool and in the mid 70's, but the days were mid to upper 90's. Not too bad, but with the humidity it took it's toll on all of us after a week. I'm not use to it like I use to be either, I need to spend more time in it and get back into being able to deal with it. We did pretty well for the most part though, We (her and I) worked on clearing more of the brush by hand even in the mid day sun beating down on us, and spent some time digging around in different places just to "see what's in there". Haha

We pull a small utility type trailer pic in above posts, with a water tank. I've been taking around 150 gal at a time, since the truck is old and the road back is really rough, I don't want to over do it on weight since we take all kinds of stuff with us. This time I had 2 , 110 watt (about)solar panels, small garden tractor battery, and a regulator to charge the battery. It worked out perfect for what we need! I also have a 450 watt 110 inverter(?) that will run small things just from solar panels with no battery hooked up. The simple, thrown together(by junk I collected) works for running a small water pump for when you need a good high pressure shower where gravity just isn't enough!!!, xm radio, Led Lights to light the whole place up at night,DVD player for our son, and recharge cordless drills etc etc......

So, these trips have many purposes...For our son, for us to get back into camping and to see what all we can cheaply come up with or throw together to make things easier while in the woods. For our trips to real gold bearing areas at some point.

We are getting use to all of the "night Noises" and it's all comforting now. No more jumping at every sound! haha....We saw a Bobcat and Raccoons this time out. We didn't get to see much of the Bobcat, Just enough that both of us could see it, then it was on it's way out. It wanted nothing to do with us!!! one of the Raccoons on the other hand ended up my wife's "pet". She just had to keep feeding him until he would come into camp every night. By the last day there? It was coming pretty close for food. Kind of cool and glad she's having fun with it! :laughing7:

While digging around we found some cool looking stuff in the dirt but....nothing valuable, just fun looking around.

We were sad to leave!!!! But both of us could see it was rough on our son this time and took the safe road and packed it up. We have plenty of time and no sense in chancing him getting sick over it.

OHHH.....I did manage to get into seed ticks AGAIN!!! The first day there! What a pain those things are! NO ticks at camp this time though! I spread some powder around last time I was there. I wasn't sure it would actually work. But it did! There were no ticks crawling around in the area where I threw the powder. Not sure what the name of it was, it was something that I bought at a local store there, it was about 9 bucks a bag. I didn't think it would actually work when I was throwing it around, but I was shocked to return a few weeks later and not one tick to deal with in that area.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from another primitive camping trip to our land in N.Central AL., Winston County. We had planned on staying a few weeks but only made it a little over a week.

Mid days were really hot and after a week I could see that it was taking it's toll on our son and packed it up. Even though we had a small pool and plenty of shade for him, I was worried that it was just a little too much. The nights were cool and in the mid 70's, but the days were mid to upper 90's. Not too bad, but with the humidity it took it's toll on all of us after a week. I'm not use to it like I use to be either, I need to spend more time in it and get back into being able to deal with it. We did pretty well for the most part though, We (her and I) worked on clearing more of the brush by hand even in the mid day sun beating down on us, and spent some time digging around in different places just to "see what's in there". Haha

We pull a small utility type trailer pic in above posts, with a water tank. I've been taking around 150 gal at a time, since the truck is old and the road back is really rough, I don't want to over do it on weight since we take all kinds of stuff with us. This time I had 2 , 110 watt (about)solar panels, small garden tractor battery, and a regulator to charge the battery. It worked out perfect for what we need! I also have a 450 watt 110 inverter(?) that will run small things just from solar panels with no battery hooked up. The simple, thrown together(by junk I collected) works for running a small water pump for when you need a good high pressure shower where gravity just isn't enough!!!, xm radio, Led Lights to light the whole place up at night,DVD player for our son, and recharge cordless drills etc etc......

So, these trips have many purposes...For our son, for us to get back into camping and to see what all we can cheaply come up with or throw together to make things easier while in the woods. For our trips to real gold bearing areas at some point.

We are getting use to all of the "night Noises" and it's all comforting now. No more jumping at every sound! haha....We saw a Bobcat and Raccoons this time out. We didn't get to see much of the Bobcat, Just enough that both of us could see it, then it was on it's way out. It wanted nothing to do with us!!! one of the Raccoons on the other hand ended up my wife's "pet". She just had to keep feeding him until he would come into camp every night. By the last day there? It was coming pretty close for food. Kind of cool and glad she's having fun with it! :laughing7:

While digging around we found some cool looking stuff in the dirt but....nothing valuable, just fun looking around.

We were sad to leave!!!! But both of us could see it was rough on our son this time and took the safe road and packed it up. We have plenty of time and no sense in chancing him getting sick over it.

OHHH.....I did manage to get into seed ticks AGAIN!!! The first day there! What a pain those things are! NO ticks at camp this time though! I spread some powder around last time I was there. I wasn't sure it would actually work. But it did! There were no ticks crawling around in the area where I threw the powder. Not sure what the name of it was, it was something that I bought at a local store there, it was about 9 bucks a bag. I didn't think it would actually work when I was throwing it around, but I was shocked to return a few weeks later and not one tick to deal with in that area.

I mostly forgot about this thread 'my fellow N, Georgian'. :icon_thumleft:

Sounds like yr family is having fun & being together .

Cool stories you and the Fishing story the CA guy talked about.
I also totally agree with teaching yr family to live off what they got. (like yr Granddad with the Bubble gum). It's kinda like when my son was 3-4 the ball got stuck under the car ....What to do?
Get a Stick :hello2::hello2: That's one he remembers 'for lack of better examples'.

He is 9 now and 'Act's' like he don't know how to do anything, He that kind of Smart :icon_scratch:

It's still the same with Camping & the outdoors (they don't like it) but in a year or 2 ; The boy & me will go into the wild for a couple days & Mom agrees on that one.
Can't blame you on leaving after a week , the last part of July was Hot in N AL & GA , less rain as well, compared to May & June.

The humidity Kills me to '92 low'ish humidity , i'm good but 88 & high humidity , I'm hatin it.
Gettin older also, I also admire the way you use junk items useful again.

I lost much of my 'Spunk' for such things over the past 5+ years but still have a Creative day every
now & then.. I need more space also.

Toys are a waste of $ IMO , We have Several Birthdays & Christmas Gifts like $10 Transformers & packaged action figures that were basically opened then just sat .
Half his Hot Wheels & Cars (Movie) die-cast toys , I am collecting , as he don't want them anymore.

Seems if it's not interactive it's not Cool, Where is Imagination??

Sorry Man ..got distracted for 20+ min.

Soooo, Keep-on with the great family time & adventures good photos too.
Davers

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly forgot about this thread 'my fellow N, Georgian'. :icon_thumleft:

Sounds like yr family is having fun & being together .

Cool stories you and the Fishing story the CA guy talked about.
I also totally agree with teaching yr family to live off what they got. (like yr Granddad with the Bubble gum). It's kinda like when my son was 3-4 the ball got stuck under the car ....What to do?
Get a Stick :hello2::hello2: That's one he remembers 'for lack of better examples'.

He is 9 now and 'Act's' like he don't know how to do anything, He that kind of Smart :icon_scratch:

It's still the same with Camping & the outdoors (they don't like it) but in a year or 2 ; The boy & me will go into the wild for a couple days & Mom agrees on that one.
Can't blame you on leaving after a week , the last part of July was Hot in N AL & GA , less rain as well, compared to May & June.

The humidity Kills me to '92 low'ish humidity , i'm good but 88 & high humidity , I'm hatin it.
Gettin older also, I also admire the way you use junk items useful again.

I lost much of my 'Spunk' for such things over the past 5+ years but still have a Creative day every
now & then.. I need more space also.

Toys are a waste of $ IMO , We have Several Birthdays & Christmas Gifts like $10 Transformers & packaged action figures that were basically opened then just sat .
Half his Hot Wheels & Cars (Movie) die-cast toys , I am collecting , as he don't want them anymore.

Seems if it's not interactive it's not Cool, Where is Imagination??

Sorry Man ..got distracted for 20+ min.

Soooo, Keep-on with the great family time & adventures good photos too.
Davers

Hey!!!

If you ever get bored and want to run over there let me know!! I still don't know many people around and I haven't even seen all of the property yet. It's only 40 acres, but some of it rough!!! And when we all go, I don't like wandering to far from them. That, and if I would fall or something they would never find me in there. haha There is part of Bank Head National forest on one corner, and 100's of acres of timber land on 2 of the sides. So, it's not really in the middle of no where, but nothing real close. One house about a quarter to half mile away. Not much in the way of treasure hunting, I've been going over areas with a metal detector and digging around looking at the rocks, I'm thinking, or hoping there are some fossils there. We have found a couple of serated(?) arrow heads. So, I know there are more!! There were parts that were never farmed because the land was so rough, that's where I think there will be some. The original family(step dads family) that farmed it had a huge collection. Most were found during the horse plow days. I never saw the collection, but my step Dad said his Grandfather had all kinds of stuff.....

Right now I can't go back for a while, the rear diff in my truck needs rebuilt and I'm waiting on enough cash and the right time to tear it down.In the middle of a drive way, on a hill, with minimal tools! That should be a blast!!!! But when I get that done, I'm ready to go back!!! It's about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from here. Not too bad. But we stop to smoke since we don't smoke around our son and it takes us longer.

On the toys! YA!!! I went to some toy stores and was shocked at the prices!! He gets bored with stuff so fast or throws them down the steps. I can take the same 100 bucks and buy all kinds of toys at yard sales that look new!!! And fill the truck with them!! call me cheap, but he does not know the difference right now, and I never really cared as a kid. I didn't play with many toys, I usually saved them in the boxes! haha I still have stuff still in the box from when I was a kid. One of the coolest things I got growing up was an RC10 graphite!!! I did play with that a lot..... I'd much rather work on stuff with grandpa in the garage than play with toys! haha Tools were more fun!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have asked some of these same questions in the past, and since there isn't an actual gold refining forum on the site I'll put my stuff here. So that I can find it again.:laughing7: A lot has gone on in the past few years and some of my questions or posts are from late nights(days too:laughing7:) with little to no sleep. So, I forget what I've asked or how to even get back to it.

I want to learn how to refine using Aqua Regia. I read a lot about it years ago but I don't remember much of it. I do kind of remember asking in a thread and someone was nice enough to either post or PM me a link to a site explaining AR. I can't seem to find it again. I do also remember that paperwork has to be filled out to get any real quantity of Nitric Acid. I have no problem going through all of that if I have to.

I would like to find step by step instructions to follow. I do remember that each metal has to be dropped out in a certain order.

I'm also aware of the possible hazards. I have learned the hard way while testing gold and silver, I've been burnt with Nitric every way possible. Eyes,nose,skin, lungs, etc...By the fumes and by the actual acid. So, I know what it can do to you if not careful!:laughing7:

This is just one of the things on the "bucket list" that I've been wanting to learn for years. I was always too afraid to try it. Lately I've been thinking about it again. My uncle suggested using cyanide to refine. I can't get over the fear of cyanide. One bad move and it can kill you pretty quickly if I understand it right. Aqua Regia just seems a little safer to me. There is a little room for error, not that I plan on an error. :laughing7:

It's just one of those things that I'd like to learn and try at least once so I can say that I did it. Safety is is number one though. and is my biggest fear. I don't have the room for a fume hood so I'm thinking of trying to build everything portable and with a crude fume filter. Not exactly sure how yet, but I do have a few ideas rolling around.

I would like to do this outdoors away from any one. I don't need a pet or neighbor kid getting into it, and I also don't want it in the house. That is another reason for something portable. I also don't want to cause any nosey neighbors and reason to worry or think it's a meth lab!:laughing7:

My first batch would be about a paper lunch bag of mixed stuff , old beat up pocket watch cases, and other mixed GF items. I could even go smaller at first and just do a couple of pieces. GF is my goal for refining. I'm not even thinking about karat gold at the moment just GF.

Any info, advice, direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you can distill your own without paperwork. If you have sulfuric acid, alcohol, wood ashes, and a compost pile you can make it. An organic chemistry distillation apparatus is useful, but two glass soda bottles could also be used.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you can distill your own without paperwork. If you have sulfuric acid, alcohol, wood ashes, and a compost pile you can make it. An organic chemistry distillation apparatus is useful, but two glass soda bottles could also be used.

I may try making it later on down the road just to see how to do it. But for now, I don't mind the paperwork.I've filled out stacks of papers for the patriot act and whatever else when I was a dealer in the past. It's a pain but I'm already on the list with all my info anyhow.:laughing7: I did kind of read into making it at one time. That is something that gets interesting too. Everything from ice packs, fertilizer, to stump remover. As I'm learning it would be so much easier to just dump it out of a bottle. Until I learn enough about Chemistry. :laughing7:

Added.....I'm referring to the nitric acid, I think that's what you were saying about making your own?

I haven't spent much time digging around on the net again yet. I'm hoping to find a "recipe"(?) again. That lists everything out and what has to be used to drop each metal out. I do kind of remember something about an order in which each metal has to come out. I may be confused on that. I haven't started digging around a whole lot yet,

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup!

The first step is making potassium nitrate from the compost/wood ash/alcohol. Then add that to the acid and distill the nitric.

The best guide is the Improvised Munitions Handbook or the Black Book series. Both are the same military texts, but the black books have the entire military research on the subject. That info has been tested for reasonable safety for our armed forces, so you can trust them.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup!

The first step is making potassium nitrate from the compost/wood ash/alcohol. Then add that to the acid and distill the nitric.

The best guide is the Improvised Munitions Handbook or the Black Book series. Both are the same military texts, but the black books have the entire military research on the subject. That info has been tested for reasonable safety for our armed forces, so you can trust them.

Some of that may be way above my skill level at the moment. :laughing7: I don't think it's all that expensive for a Liter of nitric. And so much simpler at the moment since I have so much to learn about making and using Aqua Regia. I have a lot to go over and try to learn again...

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing much going on in the area of prospecting!

I started this thread about 3 years ago. I still haven't found any actual physical gold from the ground here in GA. I've only been out here in the yard and one other time with Duckwalk.

But the idea of chasing Gold has got me through some rocky times!! The idea, and this site kept my mind occupied. :laughing7: And a bunch of rambling nonsense!

This summer I plan on taking my now 3yr old son and wife to a place here in GA North of us to run a high banker and pan. My Son loves the water and we can't pass even a mud puddle with out him digging in it and looking for rocks. He fills his pockets!! I think he will have a blast playing in shallow water with the high banker. There is a place to camp at and pan in AL we are going to try too! Soon!!!

Thanks everyone for putting up with my crap on this site!! It was a rough few years and things are finally going Great again!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just throw this in here.....I've been watching a lot of youtube in the evenings. It started a couple months ago when a friend started a Youtube channel with his cars, went to his state for a little over a month and worked on some cars for his channel. Now that I'm back home I've been watching a lot of Mining or prospecting type videos.

It amazes me at how much equipment is left out there in the middle of the woods!!! Motors, mills,trommels etc.....Watching these video's makes the mind wonder!!! That is some cool stuff just sitting around rotting away. It's a shame that some of it couldn't be removed and relocated to a place to at least save the old equipment to show future generations. It's just out there rotting away.

Also, some of these guys exploring the mines are either insane or have something made of steel!! haha I have to admit I love seeing in these old mines, but wow!! Sweating dynomite! Crawling through small holes in collapsed tunnels etc.... Cool stuff to see, I wouldn't have the guts to go into some of these mines that are being video! NO way!! haha I don't know enough about the strength of some of these tunnels but some of these guys appear to be on suicide missions!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh my!!!! I'm sitting here playing around in the forums, I walk inside to check on things, my wife fell a sleep, our 3year old, got into the closet, opened a big container of Butt Paste(for diaper rash), And has it all over!!! His face like he was ready to shave, the TV stand, the carpet, just everywhere.:laughing7:

Freakin awesome!! haha This is the true Gold!!!! Hahaha Pics to come....

My wife isn't seeing the humor in it like I am....hahaha

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has nothing to do with prospecting .....but most of this thread doesn't..:laughing7: Just a place to send family, friends and anyone else that wants to look...We don't use Facebook...

I just used a couple because the room that we use for a living room is a mess from him tearing through all his toys today.
Nathan 005.JPG

Nathan 003.JPG

Nathan 006.JPG

I just noticed what was on the TV in the background in the pic! No, that wasn't planned.:laughing7:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sooo funny! My two kids covered each other and themselves with sharpies one time when they were around this age! Fun times!!

PS save these pics for the high school graduation party!!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo funny! My two kids covered each other and themselves with sharpies one time when they were around this age! Fun times!!

PS save these pics for the high school graduation party!!

Today he was digging in the side yard with a plastic shovel. He told my wife "treasure". He worked and worked at. Got down about 4in in dirt that is as hard as concrete. haha We are going to throw a couple coins and an old plated necklace for him to find tomorrow.

I'm really thinking about building a treasure chest and filling it with some stuff to hide on our land in one of the small shallow caves. and in a couple years we will happen to find a "map".

on the pics.....Ya..My Mom has some of me in her makeup....wish those would get lost....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread