63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitric, I enjoyed reading through your recent posts. A treasure chest for your son, an interesting thought. Curiously enough starting quite a few years back I started saving things for my son to be given to him for older birthdays - pocket knife and special things. I have a box for his 50th birthday with some very special 50 year things but they are big boy toys, it has been fun finding them! Have fun!.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a letter in the mail from a company saying "it's a rare chance offering to sell back mineral rights". I know there are a few of you guys that know this stuff well in the prospecting forum but didn't want to ask in there. Is this a known scam? I wouldn't buy them at the price they want anyhow. and there is no proof that they own them, or any proof of exactly what they own. They also claim to only own a portion of my acreage? How can that be? I own one of the last chunks of the original Dead. I fail to see that they only sold a tract of the rights? Why? I'll try to post the paper I received below, it screams scam. I know Clay or one of you other guys would know right away if this is legit or not... I also like how it has the "rush" deadline!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few minutes to get it on here tonight.

DSC00669.JPG

DSC00671.JPG

What doesn't make sense? Is why would they only own 32.975 acres? The original land was a land lotto(I think) and I am 1 break off of that. If they would have sold the rights it would cover all our land?

I almost want to post this in the prospecting forum so everyone will see it. It may be legit, but if it's not I want others to be aware of it. Seems like too much fluff and vague on the details.

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    815.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a few minutes to get it on here tonight.

View attachment 1642785

View attachment 1642786

What doesn't make sense? Is why would they only own 32.975 acres? The original land was a land lotto(I think) and I am 1 break off of that. If they would have sold the rights it would cover all our land?

I almost want to post this in the prospecting forum so everyone will see it. It may be legit, but if it's not I want others to be aware of it. Seems like too much fluff and vague on the details.

Here is a link for you if you have not looked them up already. https://www.google.com/search?q=fir....69i57j0l5.14815j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PS It sounds like they claim to own a fraction of the mineral rights for your entire property and others own the balance. Since they want to sell them back it seems to me they deem the rights valueless at present....and if the rights were worth anything then the other right holders would be knocking on their door. Just saying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link for you if you have not looked them up already. https://www.google.com/search?q=fir....69i57j0l5.14815j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PS It sounds like they claim to own a fraction of the mineral rights for your entire property and others own the balance. Since they want to sell them back it seems to me they deem the rights valueless at present....and if the rights were worth anything then the other right holders would be knocking on their door. Just saying.

The wording isn't all that clear either. Like it's a generic letter sent to a bunch of people. I'm not too worried about the rights, I'd like to have them but not at that cost. I even question what it is that they actually own anyhow. Since it's on a cove of Smith lake, I'll bet there isn't going to be any coal mining anytime soon. haha... I'd be more worried about possible oil rights more than the coal.

It just looks Scamy..."act now before it's too late" "Don't miss out on this rare opportunity" "act fast there is a deadline" etc.....The envelope even looks junk mail, the "first notice" "open immediately".. If they truly own something they are pushing awful hard to get rid of it.:laughing7: My Deed doesn't say anything about them not being a part of the land. My Mom's deed for her land in the next county has some kind of wording saying the rights aren't with the land. I don't remember the exact wording.

Thank you for your input!! And the link!! It's probably Legit. I'm just not sure I would have gone about it that way if I were them. Looks too junk mail, scam like. If your really trying to sell people back their rights take a little more time and make it more personal, give some details, etc....That to me looks like collection agency type stuff that I use to get!!haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a 12 valve cummins......It started out as a 3500 duelly, the bed and rear wheels were changed. Not much to look at and not a big deal to most people. I wanted an older mechanical diesel. This truck is everything that I wanted just needs fixed up. It's a driveable project. The Rear Diff needs rebuilt(Dana 80) The clutches are going out at the least, I'm sure the tranny is going to need strengthened before I'm done and it needs body work since it came from OH the salt ate it up. But the frame and suspension are pretty clean.I've already found a complete rust free cab and doors here locally. Not sure what I think about the stacks yet. hahaha I'm leaning towards going back to factory exhaust or something similar. This is what I needed for camping and taking stuff to our property. I won't get stuck now!! I also wanted the 12 valve to play with, it's something that I've never messed with and want to learn more about them. Fun stuff!!

Here's a pic for Dieselram since we can't send pics through PM's...

IMG_4166001.jpg

This was us leaving OH... I had some work up there and that's where I bought the truck. I wanted to get everything home...So, I put the 6ft cap on to get it home to sell. It looks ridiculous and we got a lot of laughs on the freeway...People probably thought we did it because of the stacks. We also took doors off of my old truck since they were in better shape..So the thing looked real "Hillbilly" getting it home..:laughing7:
20181123_103735 (1).jpg

I don't know how to rotate the pic but you get the point.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love it!!!!
your very lucky like I am to have a Dana 80!
how many miles? That 12 valve will out live you with a minimal bit of care!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it!!!!
your very lucky like I am to have a Dana 80!
how many miles? That 12 valve will out live you with a minimal bit of care!

It has 290 something..And leaks oil from everywhere!!! It's just getting broke in.hahaha I bought all new gaskets and seals so I'll be busy for a few days.. Most of the oil is coming from the vacuum pump, I bought the seal kit and the oil feed line from Cummins.

added...it's 270 something...not that it really makes a difference but I looked today and realized I was wrong.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I probably shouldn’t say anything... vacuum pumps are common issues on these, however I’ve never touched mine and I’ve owned it for about 17 years! 290,000 miles is barely broke in. Mine has 426,000 currently and runs like a new one!
IMG_0173.jpg

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably shouldn’t say anything... vacuum pumps are common issues on these, however I’ve never touched mine and I’ve owned it for about 17 years! 290,000 miles is barely broke in. Mine has 426,000 currently and runs like a new one!
View attachment 1655265

That's waht I eventually want it to look like...But I have a lot of work ahead of me to make it look as nice as yours. You did an awesome job. I saw pics of what you did in older posts. I wanted one of these back then and that was how many years now. So....another ten years or so it might look like yours!:laughing7:

I also got the updated version of the vacuum pump seals. The power steering shaft gets grooved and a double lipped seal solves the problem. I just learned that so I had to sound like I knew something.:laughing7: They also have the boost cranked up on this thing...It didn't help on the life of the seals. I'm going to back it down to 35 or 38lbs. They have it over boosted and when I smash it to the floor it runs out of fuel. Runs real strong if I watch the gauge and keep it around 30 or 35 lbs. When it gets up to 42 to 48 it starts loosing power. So I think it's running out of fuel..My gauge is also a cheap one that jumps around. So my readings may not be true PSi.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's waht I eventually want it to look like...But I have a lot of work ahead of me to make it look as nice as yours. You did an awesome job. I saw pics of what you did in older posts. I wanted one of these back then and that was how many years now. So....another ten years or so it might look like yours!:laughing7:

I also got the updated version of the vacuum pump seals. The power steering shaft gets grooved and a double lipped seal solves the problem. I just learned that so I had to sound like I knew something.:laughing7: They also have the boost cranked up on this thing...It didn't help on the life of the seals. I'm going to back it down to 35 or 38lbs. They have it over boosted and when I smash it to the floor it runs out of fuel. Runs real strong if I watch the gauge and keep it around 30 or 35 lbs. When it gets up to 42 to 48 it starts loosing power. So I think it's running out of fuel..My gauge is also a cheap one that jumps around. So my readings may not be true PSi.

I don’t think the boost pressure could have anything to do with those seals. Especially at your low miles. What rpm is it “running out of fuel”? It could be the governor springs backing you off

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking for an older 5.9 myself. One of my main concerns is whether the Killer Dowel Pin has been fixed. If you are going for the seals make sure to do the simple KDP fix while you have it open. These motors can go a long way but if that KDP comes out it's usually game over.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm looking for an older 5.9 myself. One of my main concerns is whether the Killer Dowel Pin has been fixed. If you are going for the seals make sure to do the simple KDP fix while you have it open. These motors can go a long way but if that KDP comes out it's usually game over.

My kdp has not moved, I tabbed it anyways. If it does come out it’s not really game over for that motor, just gets expensive to fix. I wouldn’t take the chance.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Supposedly, this one has been tabbed. When I go to do the seals I'm going to double check just to be sure.

I put money down on a rust free cab and doors today. I have to pick it up later in the week. Every door has a ding or a wave, but not a spot of rust!! I ended up trading the cap I can't use and $400. So, it's a deal to me not to have to patch in rockers on a already crusty cab. I'd much rather fix dings over rust repair. I don't mind wrenching and changing cabs in a driveway...I hate rust work that bad!! I did too much of it when I was younger on heavy equipment..Sand blasting, epoxy coatings, etc....I hate the smell of grinding rust! haha My lungs can't take much more anyhow, the are probably half full of iron oxide and silica.:laughing7:

I may also be trading some work for a Dana 80 with the disc brake set up on it. Then I'll keep mine as a spare and rebuild it later on. I know the disk brakes aren't a huge improvement on these trucks I just like the ease of brake pad replacement and inspection over pulling drums and hubs.

So, It may come together faster than I thought!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think the boost pressure could have anything to do with those seals. Especially at your low miles. What rpm is it “running out of fuel”? It could be the governor springs backing you off

Good!! I was just going with what my cousin said...When he saw it leaking he said"oh...they over boosted this thing!" so, I really don't know for sure. But your right..after thinking about it that has nothing to do with vacuum pump seals...unless the blow by is so bad that it's pressurizing the crankcase...I don't know enough yet to know if this can happen. I had it happen on a car I built but it would also blow the oil dipstick out. :laughing7: I doubt that is happening here.

I still have a lot to learn...But I love the simplicity of this motor. Now...I have to find a 47rh to build. I want to build one by myself just so I can say "I built or rebuilt every part" when it's done. I like doing that kind of stuff anyhow. I rebuilt a turbo 350 and I built a 727 torquflight for a car I had and it took some abuse!! The 47rh isn't all that much different from the 727 in design from what I can tell so far.

as far as the "running out of fuel" ...If I punch it to the floor at take off, it gets to a point of power not there. I don't know the wording....you can feel the curve or fall off...I'm not sure at what rpm, because I'm busy watching the boost gauge.. It's not really an rpm thing since rpm climbs when i lift on the pedal.. I can back the pedal off and hit that power again. I'm just guessing that the boost hits a point of not enough fuel and when I back the pedal off it hits that "sweet spot" again when the boost drops back. I was just told that these will handle 45 plus lbs with no problem...so I have a little research to do there...maybe as simple as a fuel filter.

I'll check into governor springs. The timing is at 18 degrees and it has a number 10 plate slide forward. That's all I know right now, and this is what the seller told me, I haven't confirmed it.

and I think it does have 410's. If the tag is correct...a guy rode with me today that claimed he could tell that they wer 410's from our take off....Still haven't seen it for my self yet, until I pull the cover.

Either way I haven't been this excited over metal in years!! I've wanted one of these for a long time.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good!! I was just going with what my cousin said...When he saw it leaking he said"oh...they over boosted this thing!" so, I really don't know for sure. But your right..after thinking about it that has nothing to do with vacuum pump seals...unless the blow by is so bad that it's pressurizing the crankcase...I don't know enough yet to know if this can happen. I had it happen on a car I built but it would also blow the oil dipstick out. :laughing7: I doubt that is happening here.

I still have a lot to learn...But I love the simplicity of this motor. Now...I have to find a 47rh to build. I want to build one by myself just so I can say "I built or rebuilt every part" when it's done. I like doing that kind of stuff anyhow. I rebuilt a turbo 350 and I built a 727 torquflight for a car I had and it took some abuse!! The 47rh isn't all that much different from the 727 in design from what I can tell so far.

as far as the "running out of fuel" ...If I punch it it gets to a point of power not there. I don't know the wording....you can feel the curve...I'm not sure at what rpm, because I'm busy watching the boost gauge.. It's not really an rpm thing. I can back the pedal off and hit that power again. I'm just guessing that the boost hits a point of not enough fuel and when I back the pedal off it hits that "sweet spot" again. I was just told that these will handle 45 plus lbs with no problem...so I have a little research to do there...

I'll check into governor springs. The timing is at 18 degrees and it has a number 10 plate slide forward. That's all I know right now, and this is what the seller told me, I haven't confirmed it.

Probably your just being de fueled by the governor. Before the head is at least studded I would not beat on it to hard, otherwise you might lift the head and be doing a head gasket at a inconvenient time.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nitric, some reason your last pm to me I can’t see the entire thing?

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, some reason your last pm to me I can’t see the entire thing?

It basically says the same thing as one of the posts above about getting the cab and possibly trading work for the disc braked D80.. I wrote the PM then saw responses here and repeated what I sent in the PM...:laughing7:

Head studs are in the future....when I get to rod bolts I'll be in deep!! :occasion14: I'm hoping to find another short block before I get that far...So I can build part of the motor without having the truck down for too long. I'm way off from that right now.:laughing7:

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It basically says the same thing as one of the posts above about getting the cab and possibly trading work for the disc braked D80.. I wrote the PM then saw responses here and repeated what I sent in the PM...:laughing7:

Head studs are in the future....when I get to rod bolts I'll be in deep!! :occasion14: I'm hoping to find another short block before I get that far...So I can build part of the motor without having the truck down for too long. I'm way off from that right now.:laughing7:

How much hp are you after? From what I understand, Dave Goerend (spelling?) of Goerend transmission is the guy to have build your transmission.

As a side note...I’d be very tempted to put her back as a dually!!

Here’s a link to transmission shop.
https://goerend.com/dodge/

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much hp are you after? From what I understand, Dave Goerend (spelling?) of Goerend transmission is the guy to have build your transmission.

As a side note...I’d be very tempted to put her back as a dually!!

Here’s a link to transmission shop.
https://goerend.com/dodge/

I'm jokig around about rod bolts...Right now I'm happy with just sorting out what it has now and fixing it up, but I'm the type that this will never be "done" . Later on down the road I wouldn't mind building another motor but that's way off.

I'll check out the link, eventually I want to build a 47rh with some of the parts from a 48... I still have some research to do and I'm not close to that right now either. My first goal is to change to the rust free cab and get the oil leaks stopped. I'm hoping to do most of that at the end of this week beginning of next week, depending on how things go here around the house...My tranny seems pretty solid at the moment...I just wanted the rh not the re...I wanted all mechanical.

The guy I bought the cab from has all of the stuff to change it back to a dually.I've been thinking about it but not sure yet..I would like to do some work for him for the parts , just to have them incase I do want to later on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread