dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm jokig around about rod bolts...Right now I'm happy with just sorting out what it has now and fixing it up, but I'm the type that this will never be "done" . Later on down the road I wouldn't mind building another motor but that's way off.

I'll check out the link, eventually I want to build a 47rh with some of the parts from a 48... I still have some research to do and I'm not close to that right now either. My first goal is to change to the rust free cab and get the oil leaks stopped. I'm hoping to do most of that at the end of this week beginning of next week, depending on how things go here around the house...My tranny seems pretty solid at the moment...I just wanted the rh not the re...I wanted all mechanical.

The guy I bought the cab from has all of the stuff to change it back to a dually.I've been thinking about it but not sure yet..I would like to do some work for him for the parts , just to have them incase I do want to later on.

Changing cabs is a *****. The worst part is lifting the cab, and the front fenders are a bit of work. Totally worth it though.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changing cabs is a *****. The worst part is lifting the cab, and the front fenders are a bit of work. Totally worth it though.

Ya I was trying to work that out today...Getting the old one off is no big deal, I'll take a sawzaw to it. I've worked in body shops in the past so I'm use to cutting my hands all up getting to fender bolts.:laughing7: I have a trailer that is 5ft wide. on the inside of the wheels, it has angle iron welded to it straight up then boards bolted to them. We have had about 2 tons of gravel in it with no problem. The tires looked like they were ready to pop but the trailer was fine. I'm thinking of having the cab set on the trailer sides, they should sit between the rockers. Then when I go to change the cab I'll park right next to the trailer, cut or flip the old off to one side and pull the other off the trailer onto the frame with some boards and a come along from the other side. It will be a lot of work, but I'm working with very little here. If I could take it to Ohio I have friends with lifts, racks, bobcats, or whatever that would make it real easy to do. BUT I'm not sure I want to wait that long yet...Once I get it here I'll have to make that decision. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ya I was trying to work that out today...Getting the old one off is no big deal, I'll take a sawzaw to it. I've worked in body shops in the past so I'm use to cutting my hands all up getting to fender bolts.:laughing7: I have a trailer that is 5ft wide. on the inside of the wheels, it has angle iron welded to it straight up then boards bolted to them. We have had about 2 tons of gravel in it with no problem. The tires looked like they were ready to pop but the trailer was fine. I'm thinking of having the cab set on the trailer sides, they should sit between the rockers. Then when I go to change the cab I'll park right next to the trailer, cut or flip the old off to one side and pull the other off the trailer onto the frame with some boards and a come along from the other side. It will be a lot of work, but I'm working with very little here. If I could take it to Ohio I have friends with lifts, racks, bobcats, or whatever that would make it real easy to do. BUT I'm not sure I want to wait that long yet...Once I get it here I'll have to make that decision. :laughing7:

That’s one way to do it. I did mine with no rear end . That way frame was dragging on ground, I used my kubota to pull the frame under the cab that was high I. The air on blocks. Wasn’t a smooth process but it worked. Second time I’ve changed a cab that way...hoping there isn’t a third time!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s one way to do it. I did mine with no rear end . That way frame was dragging on ground, I used my kubota to pull the frame under the cab that was high I. The air on blocks. Wasn’t a smooth process but it worked. Second time I’ve changed a cab that way...hoping there isn’t a third time!

Resized_20181130_120111(1).jpeg
20181130_173108 (1).jpg
20181130_173409.jpg

I didn't think about it and only took a couple pics at the end of taking things apart.I picked up the cab today and started taking everything out of the interior and off the firewall.

This is what I was meaning by setting it on top of the sides on the trailer. I'll bolt a couple of boards to the cab so it will slide nice, using the body mount bolts and stacking blocks.. When I go to change it, I'll park right next to the trailer with the doors off both cabs. finish stripping out the good stuff off the truck, slide the bed back a little, and HOPEFULLY be able to slide it off the trailer onto the frame with some boards underneath between the truck and trailer using a a ratchet strap or something to pull it over. It won't be quick and easy but I think it will work.

The doors have some waves in them(every door), I started working some of that out, carefully with a strong magnet and lightly massaging the metal. It's not worth the time it takes to get it perfect but I'm going to try...Just to see if I can do it. :laughing7: Magnet,glue gun, plastic, etc....

I didn't stay focused...I jumped from firewall to interior...to playing around with dents...I have a lot more to do in all three areas yet to prep it. I'm also starting to rethink the flat black paint job...I may leave it alone and do a real paint job this summer. I'm starting to change my mind about just throwing it together. I may actually do a slow resto. tracking down all the original clips and brackets. After walking around the junkyard today where my neighbor rents some space. I see how spotless everything is down here. It would be real easy to make a nice truck.

Notice my sons hat on the ground(first pic)!:laughing7: He likes hats, we have all types shapes and sizes for him. :laughing7: So, there are hats everywhere around here.

You mentioned doing it with no rear end.....I built a jeep and had no cherry picker. I woke up one morning and decided I was going to change motors TODAY!!, I managed to get one up on a homemade pallet with a jack and some boards. I took the front diff out of the jeep, lowered it over the motor with no motor mounts, then bolted the mounts and jacked the jeep back up and put the diff back in. :laughing7: It was a lot of messing around but I got it in there with what I had laying around.:laughing7:

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
View attachment 1656442
View attachment 1656443
View attachment 1656444

I didn't think about it and only took a couple pics at the end of taking things apart.I picked up the cab today and started taking everything out of the interior and off the firewall.

This is what I was meaning by setting it on top of the sides on the trailer. I'll bolt a couple of boards to the cab so it will slide nice, using the body mount bolts and stacking blocks.. When I go to change it, I'll park right next to the trailer with the doors off both cabs. finish stripping out the good stuff off the truck, slide the bed back a little, and HOPEFULLY be able to slide it off the trailer onto the frame with some boards underneath between the truck and trailer using a a ratchet strap or something to pull it over. It won't be quick and easy but I think it will work.

The doors have some waves in them(every door), I started working some of that out, carefully with a strong magnet and lightly massaging the metal. It's not worth the time it takes to get it perfect but I'm going to try...Just to see if I can do it. :laughing7: Magnet,glue gun, plastic, etc....

I didn't stay focused...I jumped from firewall to interior...to playing around with dents...I have a lot more to do in all three areas yet to prep it. I'm also starting to rethink the flat black paint job...I may leave it alone and do a real paint job this summer. I'm starting to change my mind about just throwing it together. I may actually do a slow resto. tracking down all the original clips and brackets. After walking around the junkyard today where my neighbor rents some space. I see how spotless everything is down here. It would be real easy to make a nice truck.

Notice my sons hat on the ground(first pic)!:laughing7: He likes hats, we have all types shapes and sizes for him. :laughing7: So, there are hats everywhere around here.

You mentioned doing it with no rear end.....I built a jeep and had no cherry picker. I woke up one morning and decided I was going to change motors TODAY!!, I managed to get one up on a homemade pallet with a jack and some boards. I took the front diff out of the jeep, lowered it over the motor with no motor mounts, then bolted the mounts and jacked the jeep back up and put the diff back in. :laughing7: It was a lot of messing around but I got it in there with what I had laying around.:laughing7:

Lol, that’s a ton of work! Kinda vw style engine install!!

How’s the progress?

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, that’s a ton of work! Kinda vw style engine install!!

How’s the progress?

Progress has been REAL slow. We've had some medical issues here at the house(if it's not my mom at the hospital or doctor it's my wife...They take turns:laughing7:) plus rain and this was the first day I could work on anything. I rebuilt the vacuum pump today which was real easy. It took me longer to clean it up and get all the old gritty sand oil grease mixture off of the housing before I took it apart to replace the 3 seals. I had bought an aftermarket pump while I was in Ohio and it lasted about an hour before it started leaking. So, I bought seals from Cummins to repair the old pump. They have up dated the seals to a double lipped seal to cure the grooved shaft problem. Basically I wasted $200 on an aftermarket pump...Because now I've rebuilt the factory pump for less than $15 bucks with the updated seal. While I was working on it a neighbor kid showed up to "help", I had to baby sit my tool box. He wouldn't take a hint and this was the first day I met him...The guy went through every drawer in my box being nosy, which I have no problem with but I got a bad vibe and have been around long enough(around the block a couple times) to know what he was up to...I just wouldn't give him "opportunity". He was waiting though, and tried every chance he thought no one was looking and ....He didn't realize that he's not as slick as he thinks, He needs some lessons if he thinks he wants to go down that road, way toooo obvious!!!...I don't think he made it out of here with anything I watched him pretty closely.The guy even told me how he got kicked out of another neighbors yard because he "accidentally" put the guys snap-on ratchet in his pocket, telling me this while he's in my "good" Ratchet drawer playing with my snap-on and Williams ratchets!!!! So....It was dark by the time I got him out of here and I still didn't get a 20 min job done...UGHHHHHH!!!! Tomorrow I'm not going to be so friendly.:laughing7:

I haven't started anything on the body yet. I spent a few hours here and there working the waves out of the doors. I need to spend more time on them. It will take a lot of time but I think I can fix most of it without cracking the paint or using any body filler...or very little. Even though I'm going to paint it at some point I really want to stay away from going through the factory coatings as much as I can. In short I'm messing around and taking a lot of time on something that would usually be done in a couple hours with an air file and some filler. :laughing7: I just have to see if I can do it...The challenge was teasing me!!!

It may end up being spring time before I actually do the swap...I'll just have to wing it and work on what I can. Put the carharts on and go at it!:laughing7:

I may also start putting some stuff on Youtube for my Dad and friends to watch me act like I think I know what I'm doing or something. It would be easier since they are states away, just put a couple videos up here and there so they can put an image with what I'm talking to them about on the phone. No real direction, just a" for fun" kind of thing. Might be cool to be able to go on there and look back on the progress. It's going to take me a while to get it to where I want and I can't wait to get going on it.

Ohhh!! And my son thinks the cab on the trailer is "HIS" clubhouse. :laughing7: We thought( more of a joke between my wife and I) about making him a clubhouse out of the old cab but.....That's a little over the line even for me.:laughing7: We were thinking about a colder weather camping trip too, just for a night or two so he starts to get that experience early. But....I have to wait and see how things go here at the house first...Maybe do a backyard thing with him. Tent and fire...Then I'm close to home in case there is a problem or if it's too much for him we are close and can bail at any time.:laughing7: He is so hyper and destructive, Instead of constantly feeling like a drill sergeant, I want to try to redirect his energy to some new experiences or something constructive. He's only 3 and a half but he is very strong willed and has no fear!!:laughing7: Paddle his butt and he will punch you in the face...Kid has an attitude issue. hahaha I love every minute of it!!! I'm working with him and I'm starting to see some positive changes.:occasion14:

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What year cab is your new one?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitric,
You've quite a project in front of you, I suspect it will be done the slower more complete, detailed way as then you will not have to re-do from the quick and fast way and will have maximum enjoyment from a job done well from the start.

It is tough to see a young person ready to steal from others, somewhere they've gotten off on the wrong track. A lesson now would be better than a jail sentence later but I'd protect myself in case his parents decide to prosecute you. I'm talking a surveillance camera system (more than one camera) so there are no questions in a court of law that he was stealing from you. Protecting yourself in this day and age is important as people and the courts are just insane!

Your little one sounds like a handful, love and early guidance do a lot to shape what a very young person learns how to respond/react to life. The backyard winter camping trip sounds like a good idea!! Snow and extreme cold redefine how quickly a mistake of any kind will make a person uncomfortable or in trouble! My first winter trek mistakes were fortunately easy to remedy but it could have gone all wrong very quickly erasing all smiles instantly.

I hope the family stays well at least for the rest of 2018 and that all of you will have a Joyous Christmas!..............63bkpkr

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great post adventure is my name

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year cab is your new one?

I had to run out and look..I wasn't sure!:laughing7: It's 6/99 so If I remember right that makes it a 2000... I want the roof lights so I'll have to cut the holes for those. I also want the newer headliner,sunglasses, light, etc..center thingy. I have all of that stuff and the 2000 cab has the corect holes up in the supports. Those are the differences I've found so far. Well, heat shields are different. I've pretty much stripped the whole cab so I can start fresh. Oh..I found seat wiring was a little different and door wiring harnesses. Some stuff is just going to be mismatched and switched around. I'm trying to keep a notebook to go with the truck that tells what I did and what years I used to make it easier for me later when trying to track wiring or parts if I would ever have to.

I put the vacuum pump in today and found missing bolts. One was on the rear support for the injection pump. So that big heavy thing wasn't supported in the rear. I prayed that the front housing wasn't cracked from the dangling weight. I think I got lucky and didn't find any cracks. Found a bolt and tightened up that support. They also had the support bracket off of the power steering and vacuum pump, more added weight to the front housing. Fixed that too. I have very few extra bolts laying around and that whole thing took wayyyy more time than it should have . A lot of playing around to make sure all of that weight had the supports, instead of putting it all to the front housing.

Ohhh!! I also found out that they are reproducing the top plastic part of the dash!!! I guess they are using a different plastic so that they won't become as brittle as fast.It's not a cover it's the actual top dash plastic. They are something like $388. Which I don't think is all that bad, but it will be a while before I have that much extra for something like that. I have a long way to go before I drop that on a dash. :laughing7: It's cool to know that they were reproduced though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitric,
You've quite a project in front of you, I suspect it will be done the slower more complete, detailed way as then you will not have to re-do from the quick and fast way and will have maximum enjoyment from a job done well from the start.

It is tough to see a young person ready to steal from others, somewhere they've gotten off on the wrong track. A lesson now would be better than a jail sentence later but I'd protect myself in case his parents decide to prosecute you. I'm talking a surveillance camera system (more than one camera) so there are no questions in a court of law that he was stealing from you. Protecting yourself in this day and age is important as people and the courts are just insane!

Your little one sounds like a handful, love and early guidance do a lot to shape what a very young person learns how to respond/react to life. The backyard winter camping trip sounds like a good idea!! Snow and extreme cold redefine how quickly a mistake of any kind will make a person uncomfortable or in trouble! My first winter trek mistakes were fortunately easy to remedy but it could have gone all wrong very quickly erasing all smiles instantly.

I hope the family stays well at least for the rest of 2018 and that all of you will have a Joyous Christmas!..............63bkpkr

I don't remember much of it at this point. When I was a kid we did "Winter klondikes(?)". Where we had to pile snow up, hollow it out, and sleep in it!! A sleeping bag covered with a trash bag covering it. :laughing7: I wish I could remember a lot more of that stuff, It's time for me to relearn too, so it will be fun!!! We don't get much snow here, but when he gets older we can go somewhere where there is enough snow to do stuff like that. I also remember going rabbit hunting with my dad, I couldn't have been much older than 6 or 7. But I remember some of the snow drifts were deep to me at that time!!:laughing7: I didn't have a gun at that age, he just took me along and showed me how to clean them. I'm not much of a hunter but I also want to pass that along when it's time. Something good to know even if it's not something that you really want to. It doesn't bother me either way, just not my thing at this time to chase a rabbit around.:laughing7:

On the young guy...Luckily, My wife is friends with his step-mom, I've never met him before since I pretty much just do my own thing and keep to myself for the most part. He came by again today, we were already gone by then. I have mixed thoughts on how to handle that. One part of me just wants him out of here and I don't want anything to do with it and just do my thing. Another part of me wants to try to show him some things about how you can get pretty much anything you want with patience, work, and waiting for the right deal to pop up. My wife and I weren't exactly angels( the reason why we can spot what he's up to, we've been there or had friends just like him, I wasn't a thief , but knew a few) when we were younger and if it wasn't for a few right people along the way who knows where we would be. I have mixed feelings about it right now since we both came from "broken homes" too, you kind of feel for them in a way, and sometimes people just need a friend....I'm the type of person that usually gets respect from those types of guys...not always, but most of the time. If drugs are involved it may be a lost cause depending on what type. That happens too, sad but there are such things as "lost cause". He didn't seem to be on anything, so I may just lock up some stuff and spend a little time with him to check it out. It's just tough to do when you have things that you really want done and have to think three steps ahead about leaving tools around or in sight. :laughing7:

I do have cameras. I've never put them up. I may put one up on the drive...I've just lived in those type neighborhoods before and thought I was away from all of that.:laughing7:

I'm just happy I finally stopped the oil leak that I've had for a month, had the parts, and just couldn't get time, or it was rainy. Now!!! It's time to clean everything where the oil went. ALL OVER underneath the truck. I took it to a spray and wash and got a lot of it, but there is still a ton of nooks and cranny's where it's still dripping outof, like the wire looms and places where the wind blew it up into while driving. I haven't had this much fun getting all oily and greasy for a long time!:laughing7: I was covered in it by the time I was done!!!

Sorry for the books for replies!! haha Just like to ramble...

Thank you!! and have a great Christmas!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great post adventure is my name

Heck ya!! Without adventure there wouldn't be anything fun!! ............Like...I took an adventure to goodwill A couple days ago....I ended up leaving with a parlor organ that needs restored. No idea what I was thinking when I bought it, sometimes it's best not to try to rationalize things like this.:laughing7:. I know nothing about music, I don't have the time to restore it right now, and I've never restored anything like it. But it's Victorian, ornate, has moving parts, and it was only 35 bucks!! I couldn't just leave it sit there all alone and lonely!! Now, I have a parlor organ in my living room that needs restored. It was just part of the Adventure!!!! I have furniture I'm trying to get rid of because I don't have the space, then I bring another one home?:icon_scratch: It is cool though! And I'll get to it one day, or get ticked off from tripping around it and take it to the dump, sell it at a garage sale, restore it...Who knows what its' future holds!!? It's just a little piece of the adventure!!!!! One of my moms cats has already made a home out of it, I was messing around pumping the peddles and a cat came running out of it!!:laughing7: The thing looked all confused!!

20181210_200820.jpg
I have no clue why it rotated the pic..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain again!!! I'm ready to build a make shift garage out of 2x4's and some plastic or tarps!. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Rain again!!! I'm ready to build a make shift garage out of 2x4's and some plastic or tarps!. :laughing7:

Definitely need pictures of that structure! Lol

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely need pictures of that structure! Lol

Haven't even started yet....Things keep popping up......Maybe this week! I just got a rust free fender today and some other parts. Just collecting parts....I have a real cool neighbor(a street away) that buys trucks and parts them. He has been letting me take anything left over before it goes to scrap.Which is awesome!!! I'd rather change out brackets and crusty bolts than dealing with rust. I've been helping him out when I get time for his generosity!! He's saved me a fortune!!

What I know so far...The rear diff needs rebuilt, The Tranny seems ok for now. The motor and turbo need rebuilt. It has real bad blowby. I can't do all of it at the moment. so I'm just staying lower on boost and not driving it like an idiot. haha It needs a rebuild in the near future. Too much blowby for my comfort, and I highly doubt valve guide seals are going to correct all of it. Plus under a few short getting into it hard it blows oil out of everywhere, so I try not to do that for now.

Hopefully, ,I'll get the cab changed this week...I need my trailer back and right now it has the "new" cab sitting on it. I have to get it done soon!:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to gain views or anything...I have 2 subs...haha And usually don't post to youtube..But it is much easier to show the Grandparents and anyone else that gets a laugh.

I thought maybe a couple of you would get a kick out of this...Our Son has a crazy sleep schedule and is a little hyper. It was about 11 at night. She came into the room and said" I'm going out to feed the cats." Our Son plays in the next room. He ran into my room ..said "Bye"...I said "bye" and he went into the other room. I had no idea that he grabbed a marker out of a box of stuff. She came in a few minutes later, I heard her yell and say"Where did he get the marker!!!!!"..

He did this within 5 min. What we are amazed at is how perfect he got the lines on his face. hahaha I know people are going to think we did that...No..He did that all by himself. He was proud of his work too.:laughing7: You could tell I was half a sleep and stumbling for questions..haha This summer He will make some good gold video's...I can't wait!

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that is a sweet handful if I've ever seen one! Just love him and give him loving guidance and have fun...........63bkpkr

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nitric, hows the truck coming?

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, hows the truck coming?

I finally decided to do it this week. I had plans of taking it all to Ohio and doing it but....Tues, I said the hell with it....I did it on a hill, in a drive. Started on tues, it's now 2AM Sat and I'm still not done. hahaha I'm getting it!! I'm just learning how out of shape I really am!! That and I'm watching my 4 yr old at the same time. He runs off with tools, buried my Snapon ratchet and ,y matco Rathet wrenches and told me it was buried treasure!!! I can't get mad though..He's having a blast, I just have to knock the sand out of them to get them to work again...And out of all of it....He's only lost one of my sockets...A 5mm, so not a big deal. I'll do a couple of posts with pics..I didn't take a ton, but enough that you will see what I have going on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread