Grannys Corn Likker Or Moonshine for you City Folks

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Granny's Corn Likker Or Moonshine for you City Folks

Makin' good moonshine is quite an art. It takes lots of time and practice before one can whip up a good batch that sells. Throughout history, there have been many ways of making moonshine. Some folks would add a special ingredient or perform a certain method during the distilling period to make their moonshine taste distinct. Check out this basic recipe for moonshine:
The basic ingredients:

corn meal
sugar
water
yeast
malt

The basic process:

Mix all ingredients together in a large container. After mixing, move the mixture, called "mash," into a still and leave it to ferment. How quickly this process occurs depends on the warmth of the mash.

Heat the mash to the point of vaporization at 173 degrees. The mash will produce a clear liquid, often the color of dark beer. You must watch this process with careful attention.

Trap vapor using a tube or coil. The vapor will be transferred into a second, empty container. The resulting condensation is the moonshine. It is then ready to drink or sell.

Keep mash in container. It is now called "slop." Add more sugar, water, malt, and corn meal and repeat the process.

Repeat the process up to eight times before replacing the mash.

Actually, when you get right down to it, the actual way to drink moonshine isn't really that different from the way you drink anything else.
Well, maybe you take smaller sips.

As far as the government is concerned, the real problem with moonshine isn't making it, but selling it.
Once moonshine is sold the government misses out on the tax revenue it collects on legally distilled liquor. This battle to collect taxes, and the moonshiners determination to avoid paying them, is at the heart of much of the struggle between moonshiners and the law.

Traditionally, moonshiners sell by word-of-mouth, and on a local scale. People in search of moonshine have to look for it, and look in the right places.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Granny's Corn Likker Or Moonshine for you City Folks

Slap that mooshine into the car and screw the oil companies or something to that affect. This post remineds me of my Dad when he made moonshine. He never sold it and I didn't like the taste of it. Some people in our community sure seemed to like it though.

Burdie

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

By using the natural fermentation process you get sour mash. Most mooshine that is sold commercially is sugar liquor, put in alot of sugar and the mash works quicker. It also gives you a bad hangover. Great post.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i thought it was 137 degrees........there are many diagrams for making stills on the internet via googling white liquer or moonshine...some out of pressure cookers, crock pots, etc.....and, as long as you make it for personal use and not to sell, there is no trouble with the police, {unless its changed over the years.}.....the foxfire books also tell you a bit about this, and making things like cough syrup and sore throat juice from it........

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsy,
GROWING UP IN THE OZARKS OF SW MISSOURI, I HAVE HAD MY SHARE OF CORN LIQUOR. I KNOW WHERE TWO OLD STILLS WERE LOCATED DURING PROHIBITION. I HAVE A RECIPE FOR PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS THAT I WILL POST WHEN I LOCATE IT.....STEVE

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

old still sites are well known for mason jars full of silver dollars, as, like my old uncle told me, no place is as secret as a mans still site...he was right, and his jars hiding places were marked with white quartz rocks............gldhntr

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gldhntr....Both of these sights are very....very secluded. I was told of their locations by oldtimers whom are no longer with us. One of the sights still had the old copper tubing lying around on the ground. It is at the sight of an old Civilian Conservation Camp. I will take some pictures and post. I will be taking my metal detector there during deer season.....Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread