think I got the whole harmonica

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Found this last year and when showing my son's Boy Scout Troop some of my finds I came across it again. I was also watching one of SCDigger's videos where he shows his display cabinet for relics and he had a whole harmonica with the wood still inside as well. I emailed him and asked what he did to preserve it and he just said let it soak in olive oil overnight and that the oil should seep into the wood and help preserve it a little.
Anyway here is the harmonica and a couple of reeds that were in the same hole. I don;t think the reeds were attached but maybe extra because it looks like the reeds are already there. Am I seeing that correctly, that the two other reeds are extras?

Thanks for looking

Funkman......c'mon Spring!!!!!

Attachments

• harmonica1.JPG
    harmonica1.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 895
  • harmonica2.JPG
    harmonica2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 869
S

seger98

I've found alot of reeds by themselves, but not one that is that complete yet! Neat find.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it came out well.

Greg

funkman said:
Found this last year and when showing my son's Boy Scout Troop some of my finds I came across it again. I was also watching one of SCDigger's videos where he shows his display cabinet for relics and he had a whole harmonica with the wood still inside as well. I emailed him and asked what he did to preserve it and he just said let it soak in olive oil overnight and that the oil should seep into the wood and help preserve it a little.
Anyway here is the harmonica and a couple of reeds that were in the same hole. I don;t think the reeds were attached but maybe extra because it looks like the reeds are already there. Am I seeing that correctly, that the two other reeds are extras?

Thanks for looking

Funkman......c'mon Spring!!!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!!!We find hundreds of the reeds but never the whole thing....I dont know why,but looks like you did!!! :thumbsup:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Man!!!We find hundreds of the reeds but never the whole thing....I dont know why,but looks like you did!!! :thumbsup:

Whole harps aren't lost often, reed plates get replaced when they wear out. If you found extras with the harp, there may be remnants of a pouch or carrier in the hole.

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
that is awesome! I have found tons of pieces but never anything with wood still attached...great find!

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I found a complete one last year over 7 inches long. Link Here
It did not stay intact like yours though :( (did not pinpoint it very well :-[ )
Congrats :icon_thumright:

HH,
Donny

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found one with the wood. I put it in a ziploc baggie hoping it would keep the wood moist and preserve it. First it molded. Then I took it out of the bag. Then it disintegrated into dust. :-\

Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread