explorer relic hunters.. questions

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
I went relic hunting for the first time today, in the past I have been a park and beach hunter.
I have been doing a ton of research and have found some sites that I know have good history but when I found them in the woods the areas were very trashy. The trash from recent times is only covering a very small area of the detectable area so it is not that bad.
So here is my questions:
What type of signals do you dig? I know where the over coin range is in the upper right but do you dig othe types of signals? If so what makes you choose to do so? Do you have to have a good tone when sweeping in both directions to always dig?
I was running in in iron mask at -12, sens at 32 on auto.
Thanks

yotman1

Mar 5, 2009
Watervliet, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - also a dealer
I hunt mostly in the woods at old sites here in WAY upstate NY. I have learned to dig everything. I use an Explorer II [now I have and SE to try too].

Things don't always sound the same because of mineralization in the soil etc.

The good thing is that after you have removed the trash - maybe after several trips sometimes - you start finding the good stuff.

Tim

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What Explorer are you hunting with? S, XS, II, or the SE? I have relic hunted many years with the Minelab Explorer's. I now use the Minelab Etrac. Let me know and maybe I can offer you some help.

Wes

spdnj said:
I went relic hunting for the first time today, in the past I have been a park and beach hunter.
I have been doing a ton of research and have found some sites that I know have good history but when I found them in the woods the areas were very trashy. The trash from recent times is only covering a very small area of the detectable area so it is not that bad.
So here is my questions:
What type of signals do you dig? I know where the over coin range is in the upper right but do you dig othe types of signals? If so what makes you choose to do so? Do you have to have a good tone when sweeping in both directions to always dig?
I was running in in iron mask at -12, sens at 32 on auto.
Thanks

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all. Pewter buttons and nice lead finds read Very Low on the meter, and small flat buttons/deep cuff buttons can read "iffy" too. These are all signals that will be lost if you use more discrimination than just knocking out some of the iron nails. If you want the proof in the pudding, take a look at my Annual Finds post in the "2008" section. There are some FINE iron finds in there too.

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions