Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xdanthemanx

Thread: Signs of a good location

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2009
    1 times

Signs of a good location

I am hoping people here will share some of their tips to identifying a good location to hunt when looking for places in the woods that hold history. Some examples that are basic are foundations, cellar holes and structures but what are are some of the more subtle things that successful people look for?

us
    technology lover

Oct 2007
    clarkston michigan
    E-trac & XLT
    17 times

Re: Signs of a good location

well rows of black walnut or huge oak trees is a giveaway
    also while driving down back roads you have to look for very faint old pathways that used to come into the road also a lot of the sites are near the top of hills rather than in lower sections due to flooding fruit trees of any kind are a giveway also ground covering ivy and iris usually where you find this stuff there is an old homestead near it look for the tall green and yellow grass
    ive also walked onto several early 1800 homesites where there were still rosebushes tupips and assorted other flowers that rarely end up these kind of places without beeing planted, big collections of jack pines in the middle of no where tell you something
    I will tell you i have come across deep stone lined wells that were not filled in at all on several homesites as others here will attest, they are still there and can be covered up by overgrowing grass, sticks and such
    you def have to keep your eye out for these.
    hope this helps
    Dan
    The Rebel likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Non native decorative plants,trees,fruit trees,bushes or trees in a row.Springs or near creeks.Also pottery,porceline,china and glass shards.Research!!!!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

A good sign

Couldn't resist........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treasure-here.jpg 
Views:	835 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	340294  
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Jun 2007
    Central Wisconsin
    Ace 250 with 10 x 14 Excelerator Coil
    85 times

Around here in WI, seems like most old homesteads had lilac bushes in front of the house. The lilacs are still growing, usually with a cellar hole behind them.

us
    Aug 2009
    The Ozarks, Missouri
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    74 times
    Relic Hunting

When looking for an older home site in the woods, I will often look for younger trees. If there is an area where there are no old growth trees, or just a couple, it might be where the home site may have been. A lot of determining where I start to look has to do with previous research too based on plat maps, old topos, etc.

Doug

us
    Apr 2003
    South Carolina
    Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
    136 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

High ground, near water...look for black glass and blue rim/feather edge china...then you're in the zone. All of these usually add up to a "good location."

GT
    ================================================== ==========
    "Saving History"
    Bringing you REAL metal detecting videos since 2006.
    Subscribe for the latest releases - http://www.youtube.com/scdigger
    ================================================== ==========

ca
    Apr 2011
    Sooke
    Whites XLT Dankowski-modified CZ-3D
    Look for remains of gardens. Lilacs in the middle of nowhere. Also, patches of tin cans all in one place (old dumps) usually found very close to inhabitation. Telegraph poles, modifications on trees, etc. I tend to walk along old roads just to see what I'll find. do your research. Look at settlement maps. HH.

us
    Sep 2011
    Southern, CT
    Spectra V3i with wireless headphones, Bounty Hunter 505, 8" & 10.25" Coils,
    299 times
    I tell my kids that stone walls usually lead to something so follow them! Look for the openings so you can see the way that stuff was moved in/out.

Bing maps also let you see the woods in the fall without the leaves on the trees. This way I see the stonewalls and how they are positioned.

Look for myrtle.

As xdanthemanx said: WATCH OUT FOR UNCOVERED WELLS! I'm seen these as well, VERY DANGEROUS!. I usually put large branches in them so I or someone else can spot them.
    Last edited by The Rebel; Jul 03, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer. Lesche Digger Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver 1663 1-Reale Cob.

us
    Jul 2012
    PA Border with NJ and NY
    Bounty Hunter Platinum w/11"DD coil , pro-pointer Teknetics Omega 8000
    333 times
    pre-victorian relics
    Rock piles are a sure sign of land clearing, for either a homesite, or cultivation. Also examine closely unnatural mounds and depressions, and anytime you get iron signals at least you know peaople were there or passing through.

Sponsors