Mike

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Re: Mill sites

I would think there would be some type of foundations or walls. There could be a ditch (mill race)dug where the mill was. Some can be really big and some just a small ditch line. There could also be a dam or remains of a dam where the mill stood. Good luck. A mill should be a good spot as lots of them were like cummunity centers, where people gathered and hung out.That and the business being done plus the chance of military activity make them a good site. They may be full of iron but dig them anyway.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005

A mill usually needs some sort of dam, even if there are waterfalls, there still needed to be some way to impound water to get it to the mill wheel. Now if all signs of the dam are gone, there may be one sign that many overlook. I learned this from a book/pamphlet in the NY museum series. I believe it was called "mills along the Tatawassee" or something like that. The clue or sign to the mill sites were "holes" in the bedrock. Many mills had timber dams, they were quicker and easier to build than masonry dams. To anchor the beams to the bedrock, holes were drilled and then iron rods were inserted through holes in the beams down into the hole in the bedrock thus anchoring the dam. I personally have seen these holes going across the tops of waterfalls on steams where a mill was reported to have existed. The holes are about and inch and a half to two inches in diameter and about three or four inches deep. the holes are spaced roughly three to four feet apart, but I have not seen them in a straight line, but usually more along a curve, (not sure if this is due to the shape of the dam or some other reason) Anyway, it might be something to look for.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

littleneckhalfshell said:
A mill usually needs some sort of dam, even if there are waterfalls, there still needed to be some way to impound water to get it to the mill wheel. Now if all signs of the dam are gone, there may be one sign that many overlook. I learned this from a book/pamphlet in the NY museum series. I believe it was called "mills along the Tatawassee" or something like that. The clue or sign to the mill sites were "holes" in the bedrock. Many mills had timber dams, they were quicker and easier to build than masonry dams. To anchor the beams to the bedrock, holes were drilled and then iron rods were inserted through holes in the beams down into the hole in the bedrock thus anchoring the dam. I personally have seen these holes going across the tops of waterfalls on steams where a mill was reported to have existed. The holes are about and inch and a half to two inches in diameter and about three or four inches deep. the holes are spaced roughly three to four feet apart, but I have not seen them in a straight line, but usually more along a curve, (not sure if this is due to the shape of the dam or some other reason) Anyway, it might be something to look for.
thanks, I will look for this sign.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:
I would think there would be some type of foundations or walls. There could be a ditch (mill race)dug where the mill was. Some can be really big and some just a small ditch line. There could also be a dam or remains of a dam where the mill stood. Good luck. A mill should be a good spot as lots of them were like cummunity centers, where people gathered and hung out.That and the business being done plus the chance of military activity make them a good site. They may be full of iron but dig them anyway.
the person who told me about these mills said there was absolutely nothing left of them. I will keep a look out for some square type foundation stones anyway. Thanks

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes everything said above. Rock walls dammed off areas and waterfalls. If you find a site forget about the iron. The recovery is in the milling stones. A friend of mine restored an old mill into a home. He recovered the mill stones from the creek and they paid a lot towards his very cool renovation. I know where 4 matching 50 inch ones are right now used as stepping stones. Probably worth $28,000.00
Here is a site with millstones. They can run into the thousands. I dug up a big perfect large sandstone one worth a couple grand . http://www.millstones.com

Good luck !!

TnMountains

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Yes everything said above. Rock walls dammed off areas and waterfalls. If you find a site forget about the iron. The recovery is in the milling stones. A friend of mine restored an old mill into a home. He recovered the mill stones from the creek and they paid a lot towards his very cool renovation. I know where 4 matching 50 inch ones are right now used as stepping stones. Probably worth $28,000.00
Here is a site with millstones. They can run into the thousands. I dug up a big perfect large sandstone one worth a couple grand . http://www.millstones.com

Good luck !!

TnMountains

Very interesting thanks!

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

brnn53 said:
Iron signals and lots of 'em!
Mike

I need a little more than that, I can't detect the whole creek!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for square worked stones in the creeks. They can be for aways down the creeks due to flooding. Talk to old timers and ask where the grist mills where. Every community had one close by at one time.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Go to local historic societies or even check out online map resources for old Mills maps or Plat books
for the general location and bounce them against modern maps. After that get ready to hike a little
and follow the old iron. If the area is hilly it helps to look for elevated areas that do not fit the
terrain as roadways and foundations are often built up above the local creeks flood zone.
In the creek keep an eye out for stone work and old dams.
More often than not the old timers at the historic societies for most areas can even tell ya where
to go so have a cuppa and a chat with them.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Don't know if this will help or hinder , but here goes. Years ago after several years of researching an old mill site I finally found it, and hunted it a couple of times with little or no success. Turns out that it was not "on" the creek, but was several yards away from the creek, but where the runoff/wheel would have faced into the creek. In making the dam, a U shaped, spring fed, hill/high ground facing the creek had been damed off by using horse drawn drags to pile up the dirt for the dam. Really took a lot of work, but the mill put there had a pretty long history. I think the reason this particular mill was not "on" the creek proper was due to frequent flooding severe enough to wash the whole works out and away had it been nearer the creek. Though we never found much of anything from the millsite because most of the dirt from the dam had been bulldozed and used and the land had been under cultivation off and on for many years. I guess that much of the mill and activity would have been somewhat on the high ground and away from the creek in order to survive the flooding. I would have to wonder also if any water from the creek was even ever used, and how it would have been brought into the area inside the "U" behind the dam. I say all this that you may want to give thought to checking out the higher reaches near the creek, and not so much near your creek. Anyone living nearby would also not have wanted to be to near the creek, when those times of flood come as they do to all creeks. Just my thoughts and hope they help and not hinder.Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread