Old Well Help!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These old wells were dug by hand and lined with rocks and mortar or clay. They couldn't just buy them and have them installed like we would today.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
they would wait for the dry season, usually fall. dig the well a little below the water table and line
it with brick fitted tightly. the water table would rise and fill it for them

S

stefen

The following statement is an expression of my personal opinion and is not a reflection on this post nor an attack on any specific person:

"Only idiots climb into old hand dug wells"

Now watch the criticisms come forth :thumbsup:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
The last old well I visited was made sometime around late 1700's to early 1800's. It's entirely solid stone, no bricks or rocks. Seems to be a perfect circle the whole 75 feet or so down. Pretty amazing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
The last old well I visited was made sometime around late 1700's to early 1800's. It's entirely solid stone, no bricks or rocks. Seems to be a perfect circle the whole 75 feet or so down. Pretty amazing.

Must have been cut with a laser by real aliens, not the illegal kind. :laughing7: But it is true, you don't know when the sides are going to cave in.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started to dig one out this afternoon, It may be a privy (did they line these with stones too?) My shovel kept hitting rocks. I think it may have been filled in with old foundation rocks and bricks. I gave up after about 10 minutes. :icon_scratch:

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Had a friend that nerarly fell in an old well once. The piece of tin covering it had become grown over an rotted away. When he happened to step on it, it gave way and had he not grabed onto some small underbrush, he would have been a "goner".I have seen many open wells in the woods and once saw one with an old dried up cow in it. Saying still goes, "Y'all be careful out there now, ya hear !! ??" We don't want to end up like the poor old cow !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread