Old Farmhouse

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a few questions here for seasoned pros. This summer I intend on hunting my first farmhouse. There is some history to it which I will get into later. I am anticipating that there are "caches" of old coins and maybe money buried on the property [I have good reason to believe this].

First question. What type of machine would be best suited for this? I own a fisher 1280 and a BHID. I hunt freshwater, so I am new to this.

From the properties history/use I would anticipate plenty of coins to find using those machines, but I don't think they are the right machines to use for deeper targets. I will probably only get a few chances to do this so I wanna prepare and do it correctly.

Second question. Whats the best approach on the owner. Should I inform him he is probably sitting on something good and offer 50 50%...or should I down play what I am doing? I like the person, so I was siding with the 50 50.

Lastly, should I ask for access to the basement of his house...I am not sure how much digging I would want to do there...but if money was hidden on the property well there is a chance some was buried in the basement.

Thanks for your help. Cheers HH -Joe

K

Kentucky Kache

joeb1999 said:
I have a few questions here for seasoned pros. This summer I intend on hunting my first farmhouse. There is some history to it which I will get into later. I am anticipating that there are "caches" of old coins and maybe money buried on the property [I have good reason to believe this].

First question. What type of machine would be best suited for this? I own a fisher 1280 and a BHID. I hunt freshwater, so I am new to this.

From the properties history/use I would anticipate plenty of coins to find using those machines, but I don't think they are the right machines to use for deeper targets. I will probably only get a few chances to do this so I wanna prepare and do it correctly.

Second question. Whats the best approach on the owner. Should I inform him he is probably sitting on something good and offer 50 50%...or should I down play what I am doing? I like the person, so I was siding with the 50 50.

Lastly, should I ask for access to the basement of his house...I am not sure how much digging I would want to do there...but if money was hidden on the property well there is a chance some was buried in the basement.

Thanks for your help. Cheers HH -Joe

I don't claim to be an expert (I hate that word), but personally It would depend on what type of man he is. Try to get to know him, if possible, and determine if he is the kind of fellow that would go in with you. If not, you might want to stick with just asking if you can detect. And in that case, don't ask about his basement. Of course you can still tell him that you will give him half of anything found.

Unless you have something like a two box machine, or a PI with an oversized coil, I would use whatever I could with the biggest coil. The less discrimination the better.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely downplay it because the chances of you coming up with a cache of any kind has tremendous odds against, and just mentioning it can get you a "NO" for all the modest finds you could have dug.

Some detectors are better at others at seeing deeper large targets, and experience counts too. Your best bet is to go in there with a detector you know, use low disc., dig targets like crazy, and don't give up on anything that's deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions