What are these stone structures?

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Jan 9, 2007
Midcoast Maine
Was out hiking near the site of an old mill and found large foundation with these two structures. Tops of both have remenents of bricks; closest one has flat stone on top which about 4 feet long and 4" wide; further one has a 5 foot,flat stone on the back opening which is positioned like a shelf or seat.
There are several gravestones in a cemetary nearby with dates of death in 1863 and 1868. The man died in Texas serving in the Civil War.
This foundation is along the old road which is about 3 miles through the woods from the site where I found the relics pictured in Don't Laugh I'm New.
Ground was too frozen yesterday to dig, but I did see the evidence of some stuff that I'll be checking out when it's warmer.
Unfortunately, I am not having too much luck finding out about this area, but will keep digging ( in books and in the earth.) :)

Attachments

• IMG_0854[1].JPG
    IMG_0854[1].JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,696
  • IMG_0857[1].JPG
    IMG_0857[1].JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,680
  • IMG_0859[1].JPG
    IMG_0859[1].JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,658

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like it was part of a larget building..Hunt the area and see what you find, even the trash can tell you something..

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know but looks for relics.

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
I bet there are some goodies there. Looks old. Check it out and work the area slow and listen for deep signals. Let us know how it comes out for you.

99Brown

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Root cellar. They covered them in dirt to help keep them cool. That looks like an awesome spot to detect.

T

TreasureTales

Gribnitz said:
Root cellar. They covered them in dirt to help keep them cool. That looks like an awesome spot to detect.

Ditto. Cool site to detect. Could be old crocks, canning jars, all kinds of neat stuff.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
from the pictures they look like old center fireplaced cellar holes those were prevalent in the mid to late 1700's alot of times they built the hearth with a storage space at the very bottom theres lots of them in new england great place to find old coppers

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent find! Cant wait to see what you pull out of there. I would say they are part of the root cellar structure also...I would definitely research the land owner maps and see what type of place was there...cemetary should give up some clues.....Cool ..really cool.

OP
OP
enchantedhiker

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Jan 9, 2007
Midcoast Maine
I did find out that the area around the mill was considered the center of the community at the time the mill was operating. The suggestion by leddel that they were 'center fire placed cellar holes' and 'storage space' makes sense.
I'm sure there are some locals that can tell me more; I just have to find them!
Thanks for all the help...maybe some day I'll be knowledgeable enough to solve someone else's mystery!
It'a a magical,wonderful world out there in the woods!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Looks like a very prime place to detect all around the structures and any large trees close by.

HH !!! :)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In her book (IN PLAIN SIGHT), Gloria Farley of Heavener Runestone fame, shows many stone structures on the Atlantic coast, that the earliest settlers found when they came there, could be Ancient, (just a thought),

Fossis,.......................

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well Gypsy was on the right idea. These are cold storages, often when the ground is bony storage was placed above ground. We have found them here in NY as well. Late 18th into early 19th century.
What alot of work to keep their beer cold.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I really don't think that they are root cellars. Root cellars were usually dug into a hillside and had only one opening. The ones pictured are open clear through. Also these are on top of a hill where they would have been exposed to the sun. Not a good way to keep things cool.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Root cellar or spring house were the first two things to pop into my mind. Either way, looks like a great place to dig. Please keep us updated on what you find.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I would detect all through that area and then inside that structure and just outside that structure I would dig down a foot and detect again. Sifting would be a good idea. Swizzle

OP
OP
enchantedhiker

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Jan 9, 2007
Midcoast Maine
Thanks to everyone who is adding posts here!
Last week,it was 60 degrees and most of the snow was gone,so I put in for an 11 day vacation with plans of spending lots of time out in the woods at this site and several others.
This week,we got 18 " of snow and it is in the 30s. I may be jumping in my Jeep and checking out one of the sites down south!
I can't wait to get out there and explore and snowshoeing doesn't sound like fun anymore...
I will let you all know when and if I find anything
Disenchanted hiker...Linda

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck, hope to see some finds later. ;)

OP
OP
enchantedhiker

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Jan 9, 2007
Midcoast Maine
leddel said:
from the pictures they look like old center fireplaced cellar holes those were prevalent in the mid to late 1700's alot of times they built the hearth with a storage space at the very bottom theres lots of them in new england great place to find old coppers
I met an archeologist who has done some digs in this area and described the structures to him. He says they are the center fireplaced cellar holes that leddel suggested.Soooooooooo...mystery is solved!
Thanks everyone!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The center-fireplaced cellar holes usually had a one and a half story cape style house sitting on top of them. The early cape was a very common structure in Maine, with a surprising number of them still existing today. My brother lives in one that was built in 1730.

Some others may be from the bigger, more affluent 2-2 1/2 story garrison. Tavern cellar holes I have seen in So. ME. usually have a more massive fireplace base on an end wall. Look around and try to match up the holes with the old maps. You should be able to see who the owner of the dwelling was, or what kind of shop it was.

The old maps were always available at the local bookstores. I used to get them at bookland and borders in Biddeford and So. Portland.

Also, keep going back and go real slow in all metal if you can stand it. I used to visit a certain tavern site on a regular basis, and always managed to get a good coin, shoe buckle, or button. And that was even after the archies had already been there. I did tend to find more good targets out around and between the holes and along the roads and stream banks.

Good luck!.............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread