What are these stone structures?

OP
OP
enchantedhiker

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Jan 9, 2007
Midcoast Maine
Yes, I have found a number of open wells and am amazed first, that I've never seen one in my previous years of tromping through the woods and secondly that they are uncovered. Some are extremely deep and look as though they'd be impossible to get out of. I wonder how many animals have fallen in....
I actually found one recently in the woods a few feet from my driveway and right next to a paved road.
What is a 'formed fortification'?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
When You find a well, It is a good idea to mark it, or wrap some surveyors tape around nearby trees or driven stakes.

Many wells are located right near the foundation. The 1730 cape I talked about, has a secret room in the cellar. We are told the rooms were used for Indian attacks, and in fact, when Indians attacked this cape, the owner put his wife in the room, but he was killed defending his home. The entrance wasn't actually discovered for some time after my brother moved in. I still remember the phone call when he said, "I found the secret room!"

A well is near the front corner of the house, about 6 or so feet from the foundation. It has a large granite slab for a cover. When cleaning out the inside of the cellar, it was noticed that a large rock in the foundation was free to be moved. It was located in the front corner of the house, right at floor level. Upon removal of this rock, the secret room had been discoverded. It is large enough for 3 or 4 people to cram into it. The back wall of the room is actually the well foundation, and the well water could be accessed from there, making it possible to stay there for some time.

Any number of the foundations we encounter in the woods today may contain one of these secret rooms. Of course, in order to access it, it would have to be dug out to the original dirt floor.

Good luck!...............HH............And be careful!

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
enchantedhiker said:
Yes, I have found a number of open wells and am amazed first, that I've never seen one in my previous years of tromping through the woods and secondly that they are uncovered. Some are extremely deep and look as though they'd be impossible to get out of. I wonder how many animals have fallen in....
I actually found one recently in the woods a few feet from my driveway and right next to a paved road.
What is a 'formed fortification'?

the defensive position, a former Pillbox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread