What detector to use???

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
I'm looking forward to hitting some woods and private property near me. (Eastern NC). I have been hunting the saltwater beach here most of the summer but really want to find some cool old relics. I have a minelab sovereign that I have to carry in a back pack due to my saltwater beach set up. I also have a tesoro silver sabre umax and a compadre.

Which of these machines would you use in the woods or fields. I would like to use the sov but I don't know how much iron is in the grounds. It may null constantly. Your thoughts are appreciated.

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
I hunt quite a bit in NC and it really depends. I have places that are loaded with iron and others where it's almost iron free. If you know the history of some of your spots you should be able to get a good idea of how much iron to expect. I would carry both detectors so you could make the change as needed. Good luck on your hunts.

OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
Thanks I intend to use both I guess. There is one place I have that is loaded with iron and lids of every kind so it is really hard to hunt. I guess I just need to clean the place out. They just knocked down the old building that was there and it is all square nails so hopefully there is other old gems down there.

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
Yeah in really trashy areas you can switch to a smaller coil as well. That can really help out as well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also run the Sov in all metal and just clean it out. Disc will null on iron and the good thing about the Sov is it will still report on a good item near the iron. But relics are mostly Iron too. The use of a smaller coil that Stillrollin suggested is a good suggestion.:icon_thumleft:
Which Detector.jpg

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I intend to use both I guess. There is one place I have that is loaded with iron and lids of every kind so it is really hard to hunt. I guess I just need to clean the place out. They just knocked down the old building that was there and it is all square nails so hopefully there is other old gems down there.

If you want some help cleaning out the places with an honest partner, let me know! I live outside Raleigh. :)

Hunters Haven-NC

Aug 28, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got some places like that also. I'm in Wilmington. I think the small coil would be the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread