DATING SITES WITH CLAY PIPES

Here's some research I have collected over the years on clay tobbacco pipes which can help us date the sites that we are relic hunting. Often we come across pipe stems or bowl fragments that bear some sort of markings and here is some info:

-the mark "F and I" on bottom heel, was made by John Ford and Co. and had two different operations in England. First operation was in Pentonville, England and dates from 1836 to 1865. His name was stamped on the bowl.
The second was in Stepney, England (his name and Stepney stamped on bowl) dates from 1856 to 1877. These were shipped to and sold by the Hudson's Bay Co. in North America.
-pipe stems with the marking of "William Murray, Glasgow" are said to be manufactured between 1833 and 1861.
-bowl markings of TD enclosed within a circle with spur markings of WG, date from 1820 to 1870. Pipes with spur markings of WG and no TD on the bowl, can range in age of 1662 to 1862.
- Canadian pipes with stem markings: "Dixons and Montreal" date inconclusively from 1847 to 1894. Also stem markings: "Bannerman and Montreal" are from 1776 to 1779.

I have recently obtained archaeological material of a fortress that dates from 1720 to 1768 and several different pipes were found. These pipes are of American, British, French and Dutch origion.
I will have more info soon. :D
Dave.

OP
OP
D
The following material have been extracted at layers that indicate a mean date of 1740 to 1760, it is possible that some pipes are older than this date, and I will try to indicate so.
- V over SO raised on base of heel, the arms of the city of Gouda raised on a projection on either side of heel and surmounted by a raised S, the mouth of the bowl having a milled edge (Dutch).
- left side of spur with a raised B, right side illegible.
- a vague design resembling a heart in a circle of irregularly shaped dots on right side of bowl; raised (English).
- R on left side of heel, B or R on right; large, spidery letters.
- bowl with mermaid in oval impressed on base.
- crowned F on left side of heel, crowned S on right.
- crowned 6 raised from a depressed surround in two concentric ovals on base of bowl; coat of arms of the city of Gouda similarly beside it to the left; the mouth of bowl has a milled edge (Dutch).
- stem fragment with the letters DUNIER (the letters U and I are uncertain)
- crowned W on left side of heel, crowned M on right.
- stem fragment with the letters OHST over INZ and a line above, impressed, large shallow letters, widely spaced.
- crowned 14 raised from a depressed surround on the foot of the heel and the arms of Gouda raised on a projection surmounted by a raised letter S on either side of the heel (Dutch).
- English bowl with lion guardant holding a halberd with a semi-circular line round and below, surmounted by a crown with G on its left and R on its right, facing the smoker, all impressed.
- stems with decorations of a spiral of leaves, grape bunches, and rouletted lines.

Gotta go, I'll type up more later.
Dave.

OP
OP
D
Here's some more material from the same site (1740 to 1760):

- bowl fragment with figure 8 impressed on base parallel to line of stem.
- H on left side of heel, T on right.
- EC within a circle with a motif resembling a modern trophy cup above letters, and a heart design below, all raised on bowl.
- stem with JOHN over TEP, impressed.
- bowl, RT impressed on it facing the smoker, R over TIP over PET(R.Tippet), inside a circle, all raised on right side of bowl.(many variations)
- a crown surmounting what appears to be a claw hammer on base of heel; the mouth of bowl has a milled edge(Dutch style).
- hollow circle surmounted by a barbell on base of heel, same milled edge.
- ER impressed on bowl facing smoker.
- RT impressed on bowl facing the smoker, shield-like badge with a cross above on right side of bowl; underneath the shield is what appears to be an asymmetric inverted V, the whole raised and enclosed in a raised circle.
- stem with REUB over ENSI impressed on it.
- CAR over TER raised from a round-cornered, depressed square on top of stem, the name running at right angles to the stem.
- crowned 10 raised from depressed surround on base of heel.
- crowned B raised from a depressed surround on base of heel.
- medallion, letters HT inside, seperated by a star, surmounted by a pyramid of six very small diamond-shaped dots, enclosed in a circle cog-toothed inside and out, all raised.
-symbol of two Dutch pipes crossed, with JOHN ALLY above, raised on stem
- stem with letters JOHN over STEP over HENS impressed. The H and E being monogrammed.
- CVC raised on heel, letters intertwined.
- trumpeter raised from impressed circle on heel.
- LV with a crown above what appears to be a flying bird below raised from a deeply impressed circle on the heel.
- an impressed 3 on stem.
- many variations of T and D on both bowl and stem.

That's all for now. If there is any interest in this topic, please let me know as to avoid needless (two finger) typing. I hope this helps someone out, as I'm sure some of you must of picked up a piece of pipe stem or even found a complete bowl over the years of relic hunting. If you have any info or know of related links over the net please share. Thanks.
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread