How do I clean this cannon ball?

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
You may have seen my post on Today's Find. My 6 yr old found this cannon ball on his first day with his Bounty Hunter Jr. The top of it was about 6-7 inches down in Grandma's yard in SE Missouri.

Anyway, how can I clean the thing? Or should I clean the thing? Any ideas?

And I'm still only about 80% sure this isn't a shotput. Any ideas on that? I can't find any markings on it whatsoever.

Any help is appreciated guys.

Attachments

• IMG_3767sm.JPG
    IMG_3767sm.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • IMG_3767sm.JPG
    IMG_3767sm.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 892

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
you can do a couple of things,Take a hammer a lightly tap off rust spots,I like to take a peewee grinder with a sort wire wheel and knock off the rest and then coat with wd-40,or a light coat of satin polyurethane.Or you could rig up a small electrolysis tank,this is a little more complicated but does a nice job.Clean a spot on the ball so you can get a good electrical connectionand wrap the ball tightly with wire or drill and tap a screw to connect to.Put in a tub,sitting on a brick,cover with water,take some junk iron and set in the tub,not touching,and hook the positive lead of a battery charger to the junk(anode) and the ground lead to the wire coming from the ball.Keep the battery terminals out of the water.Put the charger on 12 volts,2 amps and pour in some sodium hydroxide(lye, as in drain cleaner) pour in enough that you see small bubbles coming off the wires and ball,but not enough that is becomes a vigorous bubbling.It may take a few hours or a couple of days,but the rust will raise up and at this point it is done.Clean it off and dry your ball.Coat with something clear and not too thick.Congratulations on a nice find.

S

stefen

Another option is to have it hi-pressure water blasted or sand blasted using cotton seed shells...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis works well on cannonballs. I did one a couple of years ago that had a large rust cocoon covering it and it came out great. I put metal hoseclamps tightly around the ball and used a battery charger on low . It took three days in a tank for mine but it was in bad shape.After three days I took it out of the tank and lightly taped on it with a hammer and a large chunk of the cocoon came off.I have two other ones that look about like yours and I think the method divedigger gave would work well. Good luck and congrats on the great find.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Identification can be by weight, diameter, cast marks, and maker markings. All British cannonballs (and nearly everything else British Military) will have the broad arrow on it. American cannonballs do not. A ring around it may indicate a mold seam. Larger cannonballs may have a hole for a fuse. Small solid-shot will not. I have a 3-pound American cannonball from the British attack on Lewes, Delaware, during the War of 1812 and it has no markings at all. It is also slightly lighter than 3 pounds. You should cultivate a contact with a local archeologist, museum curator. They can identify items for you, advise on curation, and often provide great background information. They may suggest you donate items, but that is not required. They are usually very happy to get the chance to see these things. Good luck! Here's a great link for cannonball info:

SolidShotEssentialsMod

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
electrolysis, rinse and clean good, put in oven warm it up to dry out, then rub beeswax on the outside to protect it while its still hot

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny bake it but good advice sweet relic

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
electrolysis, rinse and clean good, put in oven warm it up to dry out, then rub beeswax on the outside to protect it while its still hot

You do realize you are replying to a thread that was 11 years old? I would hope the guy figured out how to clean it and did so a looong time ago.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do realize you are replying to a thread that was 11 years old? I would hope the guy figured out how to clean it and did so a looong time ago. Ditto to Raider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread