Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I didn't post this in the Whatzits forum because I am about 90% sure that this brass escutcheon that I found is from the Revolutionary War period or maybe less than 3 or 4 decades later. I found this oval brass escutcheon with two holes in it from a site in SWPA where I've been finding many (about 30+ so far) 1785-1800 era copper alloy flat buttons/dandy buttons and tombac buttons, an even older blowhole button (mid-1700s), a really nice 1790 4 Reales and a 1787 1/2 Real, New Jersey Copper, 1802 large cent, silver washed brass shoe buckle frame, and a brass neck stock clasp. So everything points to a site that is probably late 1780's to maybe War of 1812; some hints in local written accounts that there was a tavern in the immediate area operating in the War of 1812. This brass escutcheon was only a few feet from the neck stock clasp and the 1787 1/2 Real. I suspect it might be from an late 1700's or very early 1800's rifle, musket, or pistol, but I don't have a clue. Doesn't seem to be from furniture and it's not a piece from a drawer pull. I should've measured it before I posted and it is at home and I'm at work, but I'd estimate it's length is about 2 inches (I'll try to measure & put up dimensions), maybe a little thinner than a large cent. If anyone has any insight or better yet a specific ID I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1722.jpg

Upvote 0

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice find. Not uncommon at colonial sites. I have a few. Some debate as to what they are but I think they are harness bosses.

OP
OP
F

FindingHistory1

Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Jeff. I hope to someday find another colonial site(s) (this is my first one) that has been as productive as this one. For now, I'll keep going back to this site and hunting very carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread