I need help IDing this ore

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ore specimen was found near an old silver mine in North Carolina supposively. I don't think that the ore dispersed across this rock is silver though. I used an online resource and found a close match to this specimen. I found that this looks like or is very similar in physical characteristics to a mica mineral called phlogopite, but I can't get any pieces to flake off, how mica would generally flake off. Does all mica included specimens flake off? Hopefully, I have provided clear pictures for viewing. I took many pics at one side of this specimen at different distances and the pics I provided are the best ones I can show. I will be very thankful to hear any good opinions or any helpful techniques to identify this specimen.

Attachments

• Unknown Ore 1.JPG
    Unknown Ore 1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Unknown Ore 2.JPG
    Unknown Ore 2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Unknown Ore 3.JPG
    Unknown Ore 3.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Unknown Ore 4.JPG
    Unknown Ore 4.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 401
  • Unknown Ore 5.JPG
    Unknown Ore 5.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 369

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
It is almost impossible to tell what kind of mineral a rock might be based just on blurry pictures. It's a digital camera, keep trying until you get a good shot. Delete the blurry ones.
Yes, Phlogopite should peel off in sheets like mica.
How hard is it? What shape are the crystals? How well does it cleave? What color is its streak?
Give us some more info to work with.

Rob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bmartin0693

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke a small piece off the corner very easily. I noticed a very thin piece of the silvery material sticky off the main rock, it didn't break so easily or perfectly and it is not translucent. The material is in thin sheets. I can scrape the material off if I rub it hard w/ my fingernail, a fine glitter is left on the tip on my finger, and it is malleable too. It is easily bendable before breaking off. I tested a 2-2.5 hardness and it seems to have monoclinic shaped crystals which still suggests either phlogopite or silver ore. I'm not even sure if other minerals similar to this has been excavated in NC. I don't really want to classify this specimen as a rare silver ore or a phlogopite yet without trying to find a good resource to what I have.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Silver will conduct electricity. It is also malleable and ductile. It should also be tarnished on any surface that has been exposed for any length of time. I've never seen silver that came in thin sheets.
Mica is elastic (bends and then returns to its original shape). At some point it will break.
http://www.minerals.net/mineral/phlogopite.aspx
It sounds like two (at least) types of minerals in your rock. Since you found it in a silver mine I would think there is a good chance that some of it is silver. If you hammer on a piece of silver it should get flatter. If you hammer on a piece of phlogopite it should turn into glitter.
NC has a little bit of everything in the mineral world.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bmartin0693

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I should call this the silver-mica mineral. Lol, it definitely sounds like thats what I have. These flakes are completely opaque and silvery metallic. I used a knife to scrape back and forth and it made very small flakes to a glitter. However, I might think that biotite is in there too. This piece has got me confused, but I guess the biotite is an accessory mineral too. Since it was found near a silver mine, I wonder why the flakes are silver colored and opaque. I used the resource you gave me. Good looking website with lots of info about properties. I decided to look up silver just to compare the properties. I noticed that it can occur in many forms, one being a scaly form, like fish scales and the link provided a nice picture of scaly biotite. It's like I keep going in circles! I think I might have a rare occurence of a silver-biotite phlogopite. I'm not sure if this can chemically occur or not though. This specimen was collected many years ago, not by me, but I got my hands on it now and I'm trying to classify it. I live near Virginia in NC and this specimen was found probably down south toward Georgia/SC in NC. I don't know the definite location of the silver mine either; I just know it was closed down many years ago. If no one else has any ideas what to call it, I'll leave it as that. Thanks for the helpful resource baja.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try using the "macro" setting (usually indicated by a flower) to take close-ups. I find many cameras do better in sunlight.

I can't say to much from the pics either.

Looks like something is sort of greenish-black to me. Could be very fine grained chlorite mica?
It does leave a greenish-white streak. (Best seen when viewing the streak under magnification)

I see something which looks cubic and brass like in colour? Could be Pyrite.

Silvery mica is called muscovite, if that's what you where looking for. ;))

Try using that macro setting and see if that helps, if not a larger magnifying glass can be put/taped to something and used as a extra lens. Just have to change distance to help with sharpness.
I use that regularly when taking pics of small gems. :)

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a photo I was hoping one of you might be able to help me identify too. This chunk from a 1' quartz vein. Thanks in advance. Ore Sample 1.jpg

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't say to much, do you have a local rock club or something? Have them look at it in person, or have it assayed.
Looks like a mixture of several things, possibly copper minerals also.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread