Unusual stone, possible relic

BiLLinNY

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Any help with this would be appreciated with this, I know very little in this field....

I am normally more of a lurker in these forums, but a long time member. The other day I came across a rock in the woods behind my house, that for some reason has really peaked my interest. There are a few odd things about it that just doesn't make sense. I will do my best to describe.
First off, I have seen LOTS of stones, but nothing like this one. I don't think it is from my region. It is very smooth as if it was handled quite a bit or was intentionally smoothed. That is just a gut instinct, just based on handling a ton of rocks. Those lines that you see in the pictures actually go all the way around the stone, they remind me of rings on a tree, but that extremely strange part is they cross one another perfectly quite a bit, which doesn't make sense to me in terms of rock formation.
I have showed this to a lot of people(not experts) the last few days, and everyone agrees that there is something odd about this. One fact that may help, is that there is a lot Native American history in the area.

If anyone can shed any bit of light on this it would be appreciated, I really am in the dark on this one. It may be common, but I don't think so.

Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 17, 9 18 29 PM.jpeg
    Photo Mar 17, 9 18 29 PM.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 505
  • Stone1B.jpg
    Stone1B.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Stone2B.jpg
    Stone2B.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 449

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,if that is naturally occuring it's the dangest formation I ever see on a rock!!!!!!!! God Bless Chris

Upvote 0

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008
On first thought, which may also have been yours, I considered quartzite, with its bedding planes the result of beach or dune formation in sandstones past. But you are right, the lines crossing through each other makes no sense. Then I realized you are from NY, much of which sits on some high quality, highly resistant Precambrian gneiss. Great for building on, Manhattan comes to mind. So do glaciers- they built some good ones there. I believe you have an excellent piece of glacially polished Precambrian gneiss. As to the hand of man being a part of it, it is possible, but without any sign of intent, you would need to do it through association. Meaning you need to find other identifiable artifacts near it and ID it through inference. That is definately a keeper, either way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BiLLinNY

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
I appreciate the replies. It certianly is unusual. Chadrock, thanks for shedding some new info on this. The reason I hadn't thought more into gneiss is that the lines that you see, go completely around the rock as if they where drawn on. They are perfect. It's so strange. The pictures I have seen of gneiss seem to have wavy lines, or thicker lines. I'll look at more. I am limited in my rock and mineral knowledge, but I know this board has an extreme amount, so if anyone has any further suggestions please let me know. I haven't been this curious about a find in a long time. Once again, thanks so much for the replies.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you sure this is a stone/rock at all? Looks kind of like wood to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BiLLinNY

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Are you sure this is a stone/rock at all? Looks kind of like wood to me.

Thanks for the reply, I agree 100% that it looks like wood, that was my first impression when I saw it as well as my wifes. I think it's a rock though, based on the weight of it and how hard it is. I still haven't figured out exactly what type it is though, so any guesses are good. That banding is just so perfect on it, also how smooth it is, like it's intentional. I have since showed it to more family and friends and every single person that has seen it finds it very odd. Gneiss has been the best guess as Chadrock suggested, but I still have some doubts. Also, I don't know if this helps, and I know if sounds funny, but this rock seems to stay a lot cooler to the touch than other rocks around. If I can do anything further to describe it or take more picture let me know, I would like to figure it out. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are 2 things which would help to minimize the possibilities,...
A hardness test and a freshly exposed surface. Freshly exposed surface as in chipping of a piece.

Sadly one of the best ways to try to minimize possible candidates.
I doubt its gneiss, seems far to fine grained IMHO.

Banded Rhyolite or a member of the chalcedony group comes to mind.
I'd be thinking more along those lines.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a rolled river rock to me, we have millions of them in Arizona gold contry. Easiest thing to do is take it to a college geologist. Worth the drive and phone calls if you just have to know!

Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
can you feel any of the rings even the least bit when you rub your fingers cross ways over them if so which ones? you mite get a young teen ager to close ther eyes and try to find them. ther fingers are not work hardend. Terry

Upvote 0

olamay

Apr 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site, but am so glad to see your pictures of this rock. I have one just like it but 2" and doesn't have as pronounced cross-lines! The swirl pattern is the same on mine, it too is very smooth and is basically the same shape and everyone mentions its resemblance to wood. I thought maybe it was a feldspar-plagioclase type of stone. I have been a rock hunter for 15+ years and this is different. Interestingly, I found it in an area where Native American artifacts are as well. This is really a mystery now!

Attachments

• unusual rock.jpg
    unusual rock.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What hardness does it have? Any signs of cleavage?

Banded aragonite might be a possibility we've yet to mention if it is translucent.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread