Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Sooo me and my brother decide to take a hike today at a certain place. After a greasy rain, at the bottom of the hill on trail, we found these scattered among the "normal" rocks some poking out of the did still. I'm no expert but I was wise enough to know we had something awesome ! Gems ! First thought was garnets, now maybe diopside (purple as well) blue garnet / grey in emeralds ???? Not sure either way the are awesome and one VERY new peace I call the rapture nest , the craters look like egg shapes and it's a solid multi dark greens . Several pieces , large pieces . Thoughts and analysis welcomed!!! Most of all Enjoy ! I wasn't for sure what we had until came home and I put the small green and purple on the flash light and turned it .....the result , this picture ! My hair stood up ! Enjoy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 156

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert, but obsidian is not at all common on the east coast- not in Maryland. Not that it isn't found ever. Just not common enough to be just lying on the ground near a trail. My guess is some variety of slag. Bubbles, clarity, exterior vs interior... has to do w/ the mine- as others have suggested.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread