BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
My partner and myself have quite a bit of corundum in our collection. Mostly from North Carolina but some from south-eastern Tennessee as well.

This is a specimen I found yesterday in north-eastern Tennessee in Johnson County where I live. There is no documented corundum or beryl from this area. It is primarily yellow in color with some green tints in places and the crystal showing faces is blue. It's in a biotite host. I'm going to have our geologist identify it when I get down there again.

Approx. 7.5 cts.

125_3162.JPG

125_3170.JPG

125_3171.JPG

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It does kinda look like corundum to me. Yellow sapphires are underestimated!

Upvote 0

george7981

Aug 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Specific Gravity test.... or buy some emery cloth....

It does kinda look like corundum to me. Yellow sapphires are underestimated!

I have a 4 oz crystal bluish mostly clear... i sanded it with emery and it destroyed the paper, all the grit wore off..... specific gravity test is a 4... Weigh it dry....record..., then weigh it in a plastic container full of water, put the container on your scale and hit the Tare button, suspend the test rock in it with a string of piece of paper, with out hitting the sides.... record the weight.... The divide the dry weight by the second recorded weight( actually Volume).... It works, do not understand how but it does........ you want 100 gram crystal, that when suspended it weighs 25 grams, that gives you a specific gravity of 4.... which is corundums sg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another that I believe is suspect of being corundum. Greens, yellows and colorless areas. This one is 93 cts.

125_3415.JPG

125_3416.JPG

Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're supposed to have it in this area, but I wouldn't know it if someone hit me on the head with it. LOL But I'm learning.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread