Can anyone help me Identify these rocks

The Sarmy

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be straight up front. I didn't Indiana Jones these out of some dangerous crevasse surrounded by alligators, they were delivered in a bag - a bag of crushed rock to be exact. Not many places in central Florida to go rock hunting.
I haven't done much rock hunting since I was a kid, but I know a weird rock when I see on, and there was a bunch in one bag. I'm going to post a couple a couple of them. A couple of notable characteristics about these rocks are; they're really hard, and most of them have a flattened bottom, and most of them have a goldish coating on the top.
I thought some industrial process maybe at first, but now I'm not so sure.
Thanks GEDC0753.JPG GEDC0754.JPG GEDC0774.JPG GEDC0776.JPG GEDC0782.JPG GEDC0783.JPG

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
The first and second photos may be Quartzite or a Granitic formation.

Number 3 & 4 appear to be Quartz with possibly Biotite Mica (the black sections). It looks a little like Tourmaline too.

Is number 5 in the other post or is this a different specimen?

The last one I'm honestly not sure about. Might need a macro photo for that one. =)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The Sarmy

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Number 5 is in the second post, I missed the other photos in this post, so I put them on a new post.
The last one has little bubbles of black all over it like measles. I'm not really set up for macro photos just yet. Any ideas on that gold like layer on the "top" of the first one?

Thanks again for your knowledge
Tim

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I saw all those little black spots and wondered if they were a mineral, inclusion, stain, organic, etc. That's why I was curious about a macro shot. :thumbsup:

The "gold" layer I would assume is either a metallic coating or possibly Limonite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The Sarmy

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that info. I'm going to getting one of those usb microscopes, when I do I'll post a better pic of the spotted rock.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions